Indiana Jones Temple of Doom Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I opened mine last night. I'm not too keen on the paint, like others have pointed out. It's not real bad, but to me the coloring is a bit off.......again. I guess I'm spoiled by HT 1/6 figures or something and expect statues to look as good. If I'm going to continue to collect PFs, I'm going to have to get used to the statue type paint apps.

Trevor should be complaining to Sideshow about the painting of his sculpts.

I saw this on display at the store last week. Killer sculpt from Trev as always but I agree with Josh... typical HUGE failure from Sideshow in paint aps. They are always bad but this is one of their worst.

That's cool, it's your opinion, and I don't agree with you! :monkey1

I guess not being experienced with these sort of statues is a blessing.

The pics posted - where people are complaining are horrible paint apps - look awesome to me. If my statue comes looking that 'horrible' I will be very happy :D

Last edited:
I saw this on display at the store last week. Killer sculpt from Trev as always but I agree with Josh... typical HUGE failure from Sideshow in paint aps. They are always bad but this is one of their worst.

I think always might just be a bit of a stretch. :lol

"Always" is not a stretch at all! Trevor is the Harrison Ford master. His sculpts are always home runs and I've seen a few come close but I've never seen anyone capture Harrison like Trevor.

And my word really means nothing but Josh painted the prototype and he's not seeing his work reflected. He's he guy who set the standard on what the thing should look like.

I'm sorry guys but for the price you pay for the PFs you deserve he best quality, Even if you are easily pleased. Sideshow got the best Indy Sculptor and the best Indy painter (my opinion) on the project so they deliver on talent but their quality control ended up ruining the whole thing. When I heard they had Josh doing some work for them i was hoping their pant aps would improve. But I guess their production process is behind whatever Hot toys uses that's why Jc hongs heads can set the standard and the heads look almost as good in production runs as they do in his prototype forms.

Sideshows gotta get with the program.

That's a shame - I was really looking forward to this PF ever since the reveal of the proto pics. Since the follow through didn't come from sideshow on the final product, maybe I should wait until Hot Toys releases their figures.

This is nonsense! A shame? You saw this Premium Format, for real? I think not!

I don't understand these negative reviews, it looks beautiful, much more than the first version (ROTLA). After all it's not me who deprives me of a beautiful representation of Indiana Jones! :yess:

Ray- I was talking about your always in reference them with paint. Yes, Trevor has nailed ford everytime. As far as small studios painting he painted the proto which had little over the production. His was a one off and if he had to paint them all it would have some bumps along the way.

Look at the proto paint then look at production then leave a comment. Thank you very much. :wave

unfortunately, i have to agree. if only the production version's paint looked anything like the proto.

i'm seriously contemplating cancelling my preorder. but then i'll just lose a 100 bucks on the deposit. would that be worth doing instead of blowing close to a grand (in my currency) on something that by all accounts so far looks terribly subpar?

I would keep the PF. All of the PFs I own got luke-warm receptions when it came to the paint, but once I had them in-hand, looking at the piece as a whole, I've always been pleased with them.

i suppose. and i can always sell it off if i'm still unhappy with it in person. though the hassle of hawking stuff on ebay is a whole other headache. thanks for the 2 cents anyway, marfmaster...

Sideshows paints aren't always Awful. Sergio is a strong word even if I alluded to that. They are always awfully dissapointing or at least awfully sub par. And that's an always . They might not cost as mug as hot toys but they are not far off to be honest and they are no where near the level of hot toys. This is why guys like Josh are always repainting sideshow heads and never hot toys heads.

The thing about the premium format is yeah they are exciting when you unwrap that big box but th truth is that the 1/6 scale figures from hot toys are always twice the quality and generally just a little over half the price. There may be more material involved in PF but the hot toys have more engineering. Plus they keep on improving thee production but sideshow is not even trying. Their pant aps are not even just less detailed they are sloppy an it's a quarter scale canvas and not a sixth scale canvas.

And when you pay 300 plus you shouldn't have to spend any more to get it repainted...

It's also so disappointing when you have a great sculpt and saw great proto paint aps. There's really no excuse any more :(

Lets not fault them for their past work lets fault them for putting out shoddy work in the present when things have evolved so much. Sideshow just needs to try harder.

Sideshows paints aren't always Awful. Sergio is a strong word even if I alluded to that. They are always awfully disappointing or at least awfully sub par. And that's an always . They might not cost as mug as hot toys but they are not far off to be honest and they are no where near the level of hot toys. This is why guys like Josh are always repainting sideshow heads and never hot toys heads.

Again, always isn't accurate. Its just not. For a few haters yeah I'm sure for anyone else that has an ability to be as truthful as possible not so. Oh in my years on the board I've seen folks repaint HT heads numerous times. Hell, if my POTC didn't suck so bad that I sold them not long after getting them I'd have done something with them.

The thing about the premium format is yeah they are exciting when you unwrap that big box but th truth is that the 1/6 scale figures from hot toys are always twice the quality and generally just a little over half the price. There may be more material involved in PF but the hot toys have more engineering. Plus they keep on improving thee production but sideshow is not even trying. Their pant aps are not even just less detailed they are sloppy an it's a quarter scale canvas and not a sixth scale canvas.

Again with the always. Always means every single time. I guarantee you I can find a few folks here who would disagree. The GTG PF is equally as amazing as any HT figure I have. I love 1:6th even more than the PF stuff but I would never say always. As far as the trying I think thats just more a feeling than actual truth.

Back