Jazzinc Dioramas 1/6 Ultimate Catwoman (Batman Returns, 1992)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just a shame to leave the 'Ultimate' 1/6 Catwoman open to being so easily topped by omitting what has recently become a staple feature of the hobby.
Yup. And it's making me second guess.

You know this has to he on both Howard, and JND's radars at least.

Hell.. if Mars really pulls it together, they just might be able to contest with it.

Last edited:
So it's sorted....

9 heads (angry eyes, smiley eyes, squinty eyes, shocked eyes, licking eyes, mid-miaow eyes, sneezing eyes, explosion-behind-her eyes, sending the wrong signals eyes and 4,5,still alive eyes) all with SERS and 13 mouth plates per head (closed mouth, open mouth, gritting teeth mouth, tongue out mouth, tongue rolled up mouth, whistling mouth, underbite mouth, overbite mouth, bit lip mouth, mistle toe smoochy kiss mouth, bastard kitty litter mouth, bird in the mouth mouth and potty mouth)

So it's sorted....

9 heads (angry eyes, smiley eyes, squinty eyes, shocked eyes, licking eyes, mid-miaow eyes, sneezing eyes, explosion-behind-her eyes, sending the wrong signals eyes and 4,5,still alive eyes) all with SERS and 13 mouth plates per head (closed mouth, open mouth, gritting teeth mouth, tongue out mouth, tongue rolled up mouth, whistling mouth, underbite mouth, overbite mouth, bit lip mouth, mistle toe smoochy kiss mouth, bastard kitty litter mouth, bird in the mouth mouth and potty mouth)
Go big or go home.

I can really understand now why companies just put something up for preorder when they have the prototype ready without letting fans be involved in the sausage making.

Is it more costly to produce 1/6 scale figures over vehicles?

I don't know.

I keep hearing the financial side of the argument.

And compromise seems to be a recurring trend with this figure.

But with the company's history and track record, maybe Jazzinc isn't cut out to be an entry grade figure manufacturer. They've always prided themselves on delivering the highest quality collectible (with all the bells and whistles attached) to the most dedicated collector. That's why the notion of them making figures was really exciting.

Even still, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive from each other (Think JND Kojun Works Lite & Hot Toys Hono Studio). You can still have a barebones offering, providing the least amount for the most affordable price.

But you can also go all the way out with your main offering, and not limit your choices to slim pickings. I would think this being their first release would warrant that kind of commitment. And so does this character.

I'm not always this invested into a sixth scale figure. I reserve this kind of scrutiny for a select number of characters. This happens to be one of those 'Good Enough' isn't good enough cases.

It's why I'll buy a Star Wars vanilla figure from Hot Toys, but haven't been content with any of the company released Ledgers so far.

Last edited:
Collector feedback for the vehicles works better because it is mostly limited to helping with accuracy and details. This has turned into personalized creative input and the boundaries are less defined causing unnecessary workload.

Collector feedback for the vehicles works better because it is mostly limited to helping with accuracy and details. This has turned into personalized creative input and the boundaries are less defined causing unnecessary workload.
It's a valid point. But I don't think wanting rolling eyes and a wider selection of expressions is as much a personal creative input, as it is a sensible and more practical way of doing it.

IMG_3868.jpeg

IMG_3754.jpeg

Rolling eyes and faceplates just won’t work here. The Battle Damaged mask is torn to where you’d have a stark seam line visible at all times.

A faceplate where the nose removes along with it could cause issue in blending the separate pieces together.

We’re not exactly talking about normal faceplates or recessed eyes behind a thick cowl. Look how much jaw of the faceplate is required, how big an opening around the eyes, it just will never look right.

IMG_3471.jpeg

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to pay $400+ for rolling eyes that aren’t flush against the sculpt with realistically thin eyelids. Hot Toys is the only company who’s come close to nailing them and that’s simply because they’ve had the past 12 years experience with them.

I don’t see Joost nailing them in an 8-12 month window post preorder. What’s likely to happen is I’ll send the sculpts off later for proper paint and hair, correcting the painted eyes as well. With a solid sculpt you have the ability to do this, if we’re given funky rolling eyes a repaint won’t save it. Do I want to pay an artist to repaint them or do it myself personally at the predicted price points? No but whatever makes the best figure, I’ll do.

Last edited:
It's a valid point. But I don't think wanting rolling eyes and a wider selection of expressions is as much a personal creative input, as it is a sensible and more practical way of doing it.

While I'm with you on the SERS, buyers will more than willingly accept whatever expression given to them as long as the likeness is more than 90% there and not goofy in any HT Batman Begins type of way. People will want something, sure but there's nothing they can do about it when it is set in stone and as long as the product doesn't look like ****. Sometimes, it is better to take away choices from people.

View attachment 721239
View attachment 721240

Rolling eyes and faceplates just won’t work here. The Battle Damaged mask is torn to where you’d have a stark seam line visible at all times.

A faceplate where the nose removes along with it could cause issue in blending the separate pieces together.

We’re not exactly talking about normal faceplates or recessed eyes behind a thick cowl. Look how much jaw of the faceplate is required, how big an opening around the eyes, it just will never look right.

View attachment 721242

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to pay $400+ for rolling eyes that aren’t flush against the sculpt with realistically thin eyelids. Hot Toys is the only company who’s come close to nailing them and that’s simply because they’ve had the past 12 years experience with them.

I don’t see Joost nailing them in an 8-12 month window post preorder. What’s likely to happen is I’ll send the sculpts off later for proper paint and hair, correcting the painted eyes as well. With a solid sculpt you have the ability to do this, if we’re given funky rolling eyes a repaint won’t save it. Do I want to pay an artist to repaint them or do it myself personally at the predicted price points? No but whatever makes the best figure, I’ll do.
To each figure its own discussion.

We're talking about the clean version.

It can absolutely work with the interchangeable mouthplates.

And I can't think of a character who stands to benefit more from this.

Take a look at this diagram from a third party Batman figure. Imagine a similar presentation for this Catwoman figure. All the variations you can yield with one sculpt, 3-4 mouth expressions, and the rolling eye system.

375572-large_default-01.jpeg

Will it take some more research, and a proper execution?

Of course. But there's no good reason not to do it.

The "realism" argument is moot. And it starts to sound like an excuse.

Rolling eyes have come a long way, from every high end company, to third party, to individual artists starting to implement the technology..

It's become a standard, with useful application. It's a solution, by design, for the very thing that Jazzinc's doing.

If anything, Catwoman's eyeliner can help conceal a small margin of imperfection, if we're being skeptical. But that's assuming the worst.

But you are locked into a wide-eyed state with the eyelids. No squinting.... no narrowing of the eyes... etc...

Even your chart above requires the eyes to be different shapes for the expressions to work, and that's with blank white eyes.

For example, try to smirk and keep your eyes wide open. You just look crazy. The smirk works best with a slight narrowing of the eyes -- a slyness.

But you are locked into a wide-eyed state with the eyelids. No squinting.... no narrowing of the eyes... etc...

Even your chart above requires the eyes to be different shapes for the expressions to work, and that's with blank white eyes.

For example, try to smirk and keep your eyes wide open. You just look crazy. The smirk works best with a slight narrowing of the eyes -- a slyness.
Again, in my opinion Wor, that's a moot argument. With proper execution, it still works really well with most expressions, let alone the non extreme (soft smirk, neutral, slightly open mouth). And the reward far outweighs what is lost.

Also as we say, no figure can be perfect. You have a margin of error of micro detail that is trivial. Not noticeable even.

I look at that Inart Aragorn... it's a fabulous figure. the best ever mass produced. And there are still details missed. But I don't see anybody talking about the eyelids.

Personally, I have no issue with painted eyes. I never use the rolling eyes; once I set them in place, they never move. Yes, its nice to have the option, but if the eyes are painted correctly in the first place to suit the expression, I have no issue with that.

You're right though, sculptors don't spend enough attention on the eye expression. The "sleepy" Joker shows you what can be achieved when the eyes are working with the mouth.

Additionally, the figure in that chart is based on an animated depiction. Hence the importance of the "squint". Because it's the only way to convey emotion.

Everything is exaggerated in animation.

There’s a ton of skin showing, I don’t think he’ll make it seamless enough to attempt it.

Before Aragorn even released I mentioned the flaws with the eyelids and everyone grabbed pitchforks.

Back