Jazzinc Dioramas 1/6 Ultimate Catwoman (Batman Returns, 1992)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cat-Esborra-1439544853799007422-n.jpg

Cat-Esborra-6517329520731598353-n.jpg

Cat-Esborra-951731833479728537-n.jpg

Everyone calm down!

I like the diorama. I just hope they remember to keep it under the 61cm/24” interior height limit of a Moducase DF120.

It’s clearly stated that this is _only_ for the DX version so stop worrying about this adding to the figure cost. It won’t. It’s an option.

And stop worrying that Joost is wasting his time concentrating on this instead of perfecting the figure. He clearly has a large group working on all of this. He’s the conductor of this orchestra.

I’m also against movable eyes because I’ve found that I never use those when figures come with them.

Patience people, patience.

Do
So why not offer it separately like all of his other dioramas if it’s going to affect how much of his limited budget goes into the figure?? Caring about it is one thing, putting the cart before the horse is another…

While I agree, yes it’s difficult to capture it perfectly, Mars tried with Riddler and the likeness isn’t there, but the expression helps sell the main pose everyone wants to put him in. If a sculptor isn’t referring to a scene then what are they sculpting? How do you get the features accurate if you’re not looking at them in the moment. Faces change a lot due to lighting, expressions, movement, so to get as close to the target as you can, you reference high quality freeze frames.

When an artist sculpts scene specifically it can do magic if the talent is there.

View attachment 710950
View attachment 710951

I certainly wouldn’t say no if it’s done exceptionally well, I’m worried it’ll heavily soak up Joosts’ attention and resources, nail the prototype before a base is even mentioned.
Doesnt look like Pfeiffer.

Wow, lot's of feedback. Scary indeed. It's clear we won't be able to please everyone and the Facebook group seems to vote differently than the opinions I see here, but I am readying and listening. Together we will make this work!

Don't listen to the maniacs on Facebook. :D

I like the backdrop but as a detolf user I could never display it. Yes, detolfs are old school but they are also sensible. I would hate to be priced out on the DX because the major piece is unusable for me. Plus, shipping will be a challenge for something that size unless it comes apart.

So why not offer it separately like all of his other dioramas if it’s going to affect how much of his limited budget goes into the figure?? Caring about it is one thing, putting the cart before the horse is another…

While I agree, yes it’s difficult to capture it perfectly, Mars tried with Riddler and the likeness isn’t there, but the expression helps sell the main pose everyone wants to put him in. If a sculptor isn’t referring to a scene then what are they sculpting? How do you get the features accurate if you’re not looking at them in the moment. Faces change a lot due to lighting, expressions, movement, so to get as close to the target as you can, you reference high quality freeze frames.

When an artist sculpts scene specifically it can do magic if the talent is there.

View attachment 710950
View attachment 710951

I certainly wouldn’t say no if it’s done exceptionally well, I’m worried it’ll heavily soak up Joosts’ attention and resources, nail the prototype before a base is even mentioned.
Sculpt isn’t narrow enough.

Don't listen to the maniacs on Facebook. :D

I like the backdrop but as a detolf user I could never display it. Yes, detolfs are old school but they are also sensible. I would hate to be priced out on the DX because the major piece is unusable for me. Plus, shipping will be a challenge for something that size unless it comes apart.

Facebook largely consists of the people in this hobby who constantly defend mediocrity from Hot Toys and others by throwing out the “they’re just toys!” excuse, blatantly ignoring that these are $300+ a pop.

The brunt of the people who voted on the movable eyes vs. multiple sculpts poll are likely of the same mind as the folks who rejected the 1/3 pounder from A&W because they thought the 1/4 pounder was bigger.

I believe Joost mentioned the top portion is removable, so it might fit.

Everyone calm down!

I like the diorama. I just hope they remember to keep it under the 61cm/24” interior height limit of a Moducase DF120.

It’s clearly stated that this is _only_ for the DX version so stop worrying about this adding to the figure cost. It won’t. It’s an option.

And stop worrying that Joost is wasting his time concentrating on this instead of perfecting the figure. He clearly has a large group working on all of this. He’s the conductor of this orchestra.

I’m also against movable eyes because I’ve found that I never use those when figures come with them.

Patience people, patience.
I like a diorama, if it’s unique and really works, will also use Moducases. Space isn’t an issue, neither is price to me. It is to Joost, and that was my point. This base isn't and shouldn’t be the focal point. Again, not saying I hate it lol. The edition you choose has no effect on the r&d JazzInc has to decide how to invest into this figures release as a whole, the more included the less to be split between them.

We’re talking about a lot here, a full light up diorama of which appears to be massive, two bodies, two full latex suits with real stitch work, 3 headsculpts just on the standard figure alone with 3 mouth plates, swap out hands, whip, et cetera. That’s a massive first figure set to want to tackle, on top of it throwing in a massive diorama base, which appears to be taller than the InArt Ledger Jail bars. I like the idea of a functional neon Hell Here sign, keep that, but the rest seems a bit over engineered.

Last edited:
Facebook largely consists of the people in this hobby who constantly defend mediocrity from Hot Toys and others by throwing out the “they’re just toys!” excuse, blatantly ignoring that these are $300+ a pop.

Yeah. Facebook is what we'd call the "bridge and tunnel" crowd.

Joost, this place (Collector Freaks) has its problems but it is a 20+ year community that, in general, has pretty good taste. I hope you'll continue to weigh in here and not try to sort through the madness of FB exclusively.

Yeah. Facebook is what we'd call the "bridge and tunnel" crowd.

Joost, this place (Collector Freaks) has its problems but it is a 20+ year community that, in general, has pretty good taste. I hope you'll continue to weigh in here and not try to sort through the madness of FB exclusively.

There’s too much of an overlap in the JazzInc facebook group - most people in there are vehicle collectors. You’ll see collection photos where it looks like people are buying the figures as an afterthought, as companion pieces to the cars, and you can tell by them being posed like they were lifted directly out of the box.

On the movable eyes poll there were a few people saying that they don’t bother with adjusting movable eyes on figures they own that have them. These people genuinely don’t care about display options and realism - they’re going to take Catwoman out of the box, maybe place the whip in her hand (at most), awkwardly prop her up next to the 1989 Batmobile, and call it a day.

I'm curious about that. If the consensus is that they will not be moving the eyes, so why have them. Why would they ever change the eye or mouth plates much less the sculpts? It would seem easier to move the eyes, since you don't have to get anything. The figure is already out.

Both swappable eye plates and rolling eyes are difficult to pull off the seamless look, I think the wider gap around the eyes on her mask might make this trickier than the usual swappable eye plates we see implemented. Although rolling eyes are a bit more difficult due to the thick eyebrow hurdle, in the long run you have to worry about how secure the eye plates stay flush on the sculpt without becoming loose over time.

I agree; neither one is easy. I do not own any recent rolling eyes figures. Has it not improved from the initial releases? Wolverine would be my introduction to anything new with this feature. I would gather that male faces are more forgiving to a feature such as this. Jazz Inc. has got a steep hill to climb. A female body that will support the physique. A material that will look good with some longevity. The head sculpt still needs work. She better be able to do more than stand there with her arms flared at her side. Hell, the base appears to be the least of their headaches.

PLEASE no. The apartment background is actually film-accurate and Hell Here is way more iconic. These bases are, frankly, cat-crap. WHYYYY are fans so insistent on these types of display pieces that don't represent ACTUAL moments from the source material?!
The cat head is based on the source material. And it's far more iconic. And you can still include the Hell Here sign too. Anyway, it's only an example. But that backdrop is too much overkill.

A base should complement a figure, not the other way around
I feel like execution is the true arbiter of what is and isn’t a successful base. I think the idea of dioramas is really cool, but often space prohibitive for people (InArt’s jail cell, for instance). I also think uniformity is another factor. Are people going to go all-out on an elaborate backdrop for Catwoman when none of the other figures in their displays have them? I think it’s a really cool idea, but I also feel like there are a lot of pros and cons to be weighed.

Like, I’d love to see Joost do the Panther Suit Bats from Forever that nobody else seems to be touching and give him a detolf sized gadget wall backdrop like Prime1 made and I can think of others that would be really cool (‘66 Batcave facades, a more forced perspective, slightly smaller ‘89 Batcomputer for Keaton, etc.). I just think it’s a matter of seeing if there’s a market for them and, in some ways, I wonder if this isn’t the time to see. If it works out, he can move forward with others, but, if not, I also don’t want an expensive base to derail his plans for the future, either.

A base should complement a figure, not the other way around
Yeah it’s a little bit too big I feel like. I originally planned to put her in my detolf next to my Returns Batman from Hot Toys infront the apartment backdrop. But being this tall I need to find another way to display it 😅.

Curious to see what the regular base looks like for the single figure. I hope it's not too basic, and allows for creative posing / display options.

@batfan08 you're right, there are many factors to be considered. Shelf presence, weight, size, cost, versatility, aesthetic etc..

But the larger the size, the more important these decisions are. You don't want something taking up so much space, that's very limiting, becomes cumbersome, or wears off quickly on the eye.

Yeah it’s a little bit too big I feel like. I originally planned to put her in my detolf next to my Returns Batman from Hot Toys infront the apartment backdrop. But being this tall I need to find another way to display it 😅.
Careful where you decide to display this, if they’re going to use latex the last thing you’ll want to do is dust it off possibly knocking off some of the sheen on the suit, this will need something enclosed such as a moducase similar to his vehicles, dust may do a lot of damage that I wouldn’t personally want to gamble on.

The other issue with a backdrop that large -- even without the top -- is that it is so screen specific to just Catwoman. If you want to pose her with Batman or Penguin, then her background doesn't really fit.

A generic Gothic background works better for multiple figures -- like the rooftop Catwoman and Peguin share champagne or the Rose window for Batman and Catwoman.

Of course when you get too specific, it is limiting... and something generic and simply evocative of the movie won't satisfy people's need for accuracy. It's a conundrum....

Back