JND Studios 1:3 John Wick

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You seem to be confusing "hyper-real" with "hyper-accurate"
Not exactly. JND doesn't seem fully committed to either. But a good compromise between the two is what makes up their best work.

Screenshot_20240604-153311_Instagram-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20240604-153301_Instagram-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20240604-154136_Instagram-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20240604-154123_Instagram-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20240604-154039_Instagram-01.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not calling JND products trash. The Reeve Superman, Pattinson Bat, Bale Bat, and Wonder Woman, are among some very impressive works I've seen. Also that recent Korean exclusive they did.

I'm saying JND are not all they make themselves out to be. And I'm not the sort of person that relies on what others tell me. I rely on my own perception of things from a fair amount of evidence I'm provided. (Although I have made it clear that I haven't seen one in person, and I do take that into consideration). But unless I do, I won't spend upwards of two grand on anything that doesn't sway me in pictures. There's a judgement to be made, and it follows the same criteria as anything else I choose.
For sure. I definitely wasn't trying to insinuate you saying they were trash. Just saying that there does appear to be a distortion between what's seen in photos versus what they actually look like in hand.

But, as I mentioned in this thread previously, it's not the smartest move to place an order on something as expensive as JND products with the hope that in-hand will show something off better than prototype images. So, I completely agree that no one wants to spend thousands of dollars on hope. I was regretting my purchase all the way through the unboxing :lol I took the gamble, and feel like it paid off and am now more comfortable with future purchases; but, I also don't believe them to be infallible in that now my mind is changed to automatically believe every piece they make will be way better in hand. This John Wick piece misses the mark for me and I won't be ordering unless in-hand pics show otherwise and I manage to be able to grab one then. Some ppl swear by the Harley Quinn piece being amongst JND's best, however no amount of pics has shown me that statement to be true and I still can't for the life of me see Margot Robbie in that sculpt. So, I get it :duff

Likewise, @Gipetto0812 you brought up the JND Cavill statue. I'm sure it's a great looking piece. But I'm not critiquing aesthetics here.

In all the footage I've seen, the suit appears to lack the luminescence of the real thing. It looks static by comparison. Clear cut. Reminiscent of the type of statues that paint highlights and shadows to mimic lighting, and emphasize musculature. Companies like Prime1, Inart, and even Hot Toys, have seemingly taken a better approach to replicating the qualities of the real suit.

In execution, JND's comes across a highly stylized interpretation of the actual person.

It's not "hyper real".
The statue does actually have that luminescence in hand as well as some great transparency between the layers of paint and sculpted detail. It really just doesn't pick up in photos unfortunately; but, I understand no amount of saying such will probably convince anyone as all pictures make it look like the photo you shared. However, due to the transparency of the paint apps and the stylized nature of the musculature (which I do not disagree with) it comes off as even more stylized. In-hand though, it's much more subtle b/c your eyes are able to pick it up differently than the camera lens. How well the suit itself is sculpted is lost due to how overboard JND went with the musculature, which is unfortunate as the suit itself is not only sculpted really well, but actually very accurate to the real deal.

Prime1 might've gone about doing the fabric suit with chrome underbody on their 1/3 piece similar to how the real deal was done; however, they made the suit too thick, so the musculature didn't show through enough much like the KO JL Superman from By-Art. Plus, the fact that the armpits sagged a lot and the color blue they used was also wrong. That said, their 1/2 scale piece was done really well and pretty accurate aside from the gold on the wrist cuffs. Just like Prime1 1/3 scale, HT might've had a better approach to making suit out of fabric, the execution was not done well causing the result to be inaccurate anyway, which is why there have been so many ppl modifying the body and suit to be more accurate. So, I don't really see how it's any better when it still comes out wrong. InArt has definitely done the best so far at least in prototype stage from what I can see, even if the kryptonian glyphs that are meant to be at the crease between the delts and biceps is incorrectly placed around the center of the biceps on that proto. Hoping they fix at least that.

As for the "hyper real" bit, the headsculpt (and the hands for that matter) is definitely hyper real to my eyes. Again, no other collectible I've had has come close to how real it looks. Similar to what @67L88Stingray mentioned about a miniature person, it really oddly and strangely felt like I had Henry Cavill's head in the palm of my hand when I unboxed it :lol Sort of a weird experience to be honest.

I know @Gipetto0812 you're a detail oriented individual, and I give credence to your observations. Maybe it's different in hand? And yet I will always have doubts until I see it for myself.
For sure and totally understandable. Not trying to convince you or anyone though as everyone is free to make their own decisions obviously. Only trying to convey the actual real difference of what I've experienced in hand vs online pics as I also had reservations/concerns about if it would actually look better in hand.

Last edited:
For sure. I definitely wasn't trying to insinuate you saying they were trash. Just saying that there does appear to be a distortion between what's seen in photos versus what they actually look like in hand.

But, as I mentioned in this thread previously, it's not the smartest move to place an order on something as expensive as JND products with the hope that in-hand will show something off better than prototype images. So, I completely agree that no one wants to spend thousands of dollars on hope. I was regretting my purchase all the way through the unboxing :lol I took the gamble, and feel like it paid off and am now more comfortable with future purchases; but, I also don't believe them to be infallible in that now my mind is changed to automatically believe every piece they make will be way better in hand. This John Wick piece misses the mark for me and I won't be ordering unless in-hand pics show otherwise and I manage to be able to grab one then. Some ppl swear by the Harley Quinn piece being amongst JND's best, however no amount of pics has shown me that statement to be true and I still can't for the life of me see Margot Robbie in that sculpt. So, I get it :duff

The statue does actually have that luminescence in hand as well as some great transparency between the layers of paint and sculpted detail. It really just doesn't pic up in photos unfortunately but I understand no amount of saying such will probably convince anyone as all pictures make it look like the photo you shared. However, due to the transparency of the paint apps and the stylized nature of the musculature (which I do not disagree with) it comes off as even more stylized. In-hand though, it's much more subtle b/c your eyes are able to pick it up differently than the camera lens. How well the suit itself is sculpted is lost due to how overboard JND went with the musculature, which is unfortunate as the suit itself is not only sculpted really well, but actually very accurate to the real deal.

Prime1 might've gone about doing the fabric suit with chrome underbody on their 1/3 piece similar to how the real deal was done; however, they made the suit too thick, so the musculature didn't show through enough much like the KO JL Superman from By-Art. Plus, the fact that the armpits sagged a lot and the color blue they used was also wrong. That said, their 1/2 scale piece was done really well and pretty accurate aside from the gold on the wrist cuffs. Just like Prime1 1/3 scale, HT might've had a better approach to making suit out of fabric, the execution was not done well causing the result to be inaccurate anyway, which is why there have been so many ppl modifying the body and suit to be more accurate. So, I don't really see how it's any better when it still comes out wrong. InArt has definitely done the best so far at least in prototype stage from what I can see even if the kryptonian glyphs that are meant to be at the crease between the delts and biceps is incorrectly placed around the center of the biceps on that proto. Hopeing they fix at least that.

As for the "hyper real" bit, the headsculpt (and the hands for that matter) is definitely hyper real to my eyes. Again, no other collectible I've had has come close to how real it looks. Similar to what @67L88Stingray mentioned about a miniature person, it really oddly and strangely felt like I had Henry Cavill's head in the palm of my hand when I unboxed it :lol Sort of a weird experience to be honest.

For sure and totally understandable. Not trying to convince you or anyone though as everyone is free to make their own decisions obviously. Only trying to convey the actual real difference of what I've experienced in hand vs online pics as I also had reservations/concerns about if it would actually look better in hand.
I hope I'll get a chance to see one some day. I can see myself taking the gamble on a 1/6 scale at least, and I'm eager to when the right thing comes along.

Back