Joker: Folie à Deux

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well clearly I'm not speaking for the entire world here. I would have thought that to be rather obvious.

Well it is, but in your comment you used needing a tablet and not feeling uplifted or inspired by it, and avoiding films like it in the future because you don't like how they make you feel.

So, was it also obvious that you would not walk out of the film feeling uplifted or inspired. If it was made to do that and failed then it's a bad film for not achieving it, but that wasn't the point of the film, clearly.

So you've directly correlated bad feelings from the films with "**** these movies".

Well it is, but in your comment you used needing a tablet and not feeling uplifted or inspired by it, and avoiding films like it in the future because you don't like how they make you feel.

So, was it also obvious that you would not walk out of the film feeling uplifted or inspired. If it was made to do that and failed then it's a bad film for not achieving it, but that wasn't the point of the film, clearly.

So you've directly correlated bad feelings from the films with "**** these movies".
Yeah, I did.

I’m revisiting my list and i’m starting to think that Joker 2 is even worse!

Joker 2 had the same writer and director from Joker 1.

Did any of these have the same writer AND director?

Maybe Airplane 2?

Speed 2
Aquaman 2
WW2
Jaws 2
Independence Day 2
Caddyshack 2
Airplane 2
Staying Alive
Grease 2
Jurassic Park 2
Die Hard 2
Highlander 2
Cannibal Campout 2
Exorcist 2
Blues Brothers 2

Yeah, I did.

That's... Weird though.

Like, you'd go to an art gallery and look at a painting that's miserable and then walk out and say I'm never going to look at sad paintings again? I didn't like how it made me feel so it was a **** painting?

You knew what the tone would be from watching the first one. I just find correlating feeling depressed by something as meaning it's **** is strange, but you do you.

No further questions.

That's... Weird though.

Like, you'd go to an art gallery and look at a painting that's miserable and then walk out and say I'm never going to look at sad paintings again? I didn't like how it made me feel so it was a **** painting?

You knew what the tone would be from watching the first one. I just find correlating feeling depressed by something as meaning it's **** is strange, but you do you.

No further questions.
Perhaps I was a bit too dramatic with my words.. it wasn't earth shattering to me lol.

I simply get no pleasure from watching a film that is soley and exclusively based on tragedy. And no, I absolutely did not expect the sequel to playout this way just based on the first film.

Quite the opposite. By the ending of the first one, I certainly never expected to have to sit through 2+ hrs more of that for the sequel.

Yeah, **** movies like that. Not my thing, I guess.

Let me ask you something.
What did you get outta these films?

Perhaps I was a bit too dramatic with my words.. it wasn't earth shattering to me lol.

I simply get no pleasure from watching a film that is soley and exclusively based on tragedy. And no, I absolutely did not expect the sequel to playout this way just based on the first film.

Quite the opposite. By the ending of the first one, I certainly never expected to have to sit through 2+ hrs more of that for the sequel.

Yeah, **** movies like that. Not my thing, I guess.

Let me ask you something.
What did you get outta these films?

A lot.

From a technical point of view the film is shot, lit, colour corrected beautifully. Imagery is very well thought out, the play with lighting and the audiences perspective of Arthur's imagination based on visual cues is well thought out and established. Hildur Gudnadottirs score underpins and heightens a lot of what is shown.

From a story point of view, I always find it fascinating when characters or people in real life have introspection, how they wrestle and come to grips with themselves and themselves in relation to others. How people respond to situations they can't control.

I find the world bleak, myself. Are you always happy all of the time? No, most of the time it's a struggle on an ever-changing scale, but we're always pursuing the hope of being perpetually happy. Some people have worse and worsening scales than others.

To speak of the bleakness itself in this film, I've seen far worse. I'm not disturbed by it. But the whole point of storytelling is to learn something or to consider other points of views and concepts. For me both films portray an interesting take through the lens of a Joker type character in Gotham. Beyond that, actually how the films are perceived by the audiences for both films also heightens what they were saying. So I enjoy that both films created a spark of conversation, outside of just pure 'I enjoyed that, how great was that fight scene'?

As I've gotten older my enjoyment of comic book films as just entertainment has wained, I'd rather them say something or do something more. It's why I prefer DC over Marvel. As much as Snyder's trilogy was dunked on at the time, and lampooned for being pretentious for daring to include religious metaphors or more philosophical aspects to the characters, at least they tried to explore some things in an otherwise bland cinema environment - which actually pays off further down the line, as rewatching them recently they actually feel like a film as opposed to an experience that I can give or take like Marvels films.

All that to say that there are things to take away or talk about in both of them, of course you can choose to overlook them, for in my opinion, asinine reasons such as them have musical moments, or not making the character exactly what you were hoping for.

It’s simply the wrong direction to take the character, completely.

It’s to the level of Phillips appearing tone deaf to what his audience ever even remotely wanted out of a sequel were one to be produced.

It’s a bad film when your audience believes you to be trolling in regards to what you have delivered us,
five years on.

He delivers the same thing, beat for beat.
There’s no new path the sequel heads in,
one big retread.

Had he given Arthur an arc with payoff, no matter how fleeting that payoff is, his film wouldn’t have bombed. You don’t take a character, make them suffer the entirety of the first film, then double down by increasing their suffering in the sequel to the point your audience snaps. That’s what happened here, point blank, you spit in your audience’s faces, and you’re dealing with the consequences of that, in real time.
Rape the character then expects us to want that representation in our homes or minds.

The fact that no one showed up to your joke is hilarious to me.

Plot twist: the young Bruce Wayne in the first movie, will never become Batman. He's just going to enjoy life with his money.

Back