Joker: Folie à Deux

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-> calls film disgusting
-> jokes about rape a lot anyway
23073205-5465-47a6-b56c-7bac28949aa2_text.gif

How about another joker Gary? What does Warner get, when they put, an iconic villain in a musical that rapes him and treats him like trash? They get what they f*cking deserve!

1728499078967.png

Honestly it sounds like WB should just go full "Disney+ Willow" with this one and just pull it from theaters immediately and never release it on streaming or blu-ray. Do what they can to salvage the goodwill of those who still like the first one and haven't seen the new one yet. Or treat the first disastrous week like a worldwide "test screening," pull it, reshoot the ending (drop the rape and whatever else) and THEN put it back in theaters.

Maybe Joker will end the same in a couple years.
I dunnnno,

It’s been a couple years since Morbius
yet that’s the brown standard
in regards to box office flops,
where articles compared this films success to that one, opening weekend.

(though I’ve been informed The Marvels
has also outperformed the musical)

bill clinton GIF by Justin

This is Joaquin Phoenix who previously grossed the studio a billion dollars in the same role. This isn’t getting swept under the rug like WW84 by the public.

Especially with how little big pictures are being made right now. There’s nothing else coming out that will subvert the negative talk and attention this is getting. It’s also near Halloween when people are actively thinking about The Joker, costumes, wanting to see a spooky movie.

I certainly won’t try to think about the film in a years time. The only problem with that is the box office has a new low to compare other financial bombs to, where the likelihood of it being surpassed isn’t reality.

Not everyday you come across blockbuster comic book films with a $200 million dollar budget, only to rake in $37.

I haven't checked but I do wonder if folks are offloading their Phoenix Joker figures after this.

Kinda doubt it but it's funny to think about.

Wow I totally forgot about WW84 as well. Took me 2-3 sittings to finish it on HBO Max. Just brutal. And then there was the fun Aquaman and the supposedly horrendous sequel (that I still haven't seen and don't plan to anytime soon) by the original director as well. What is it with DC and directors destroying their legacies with the very first sequel to well received films?
I had no problem with Aquaman 2
I liked it a lot. visually it was just like the first one and also the plot was messy but not bad.

it's not as epic as Aquaman 1. that movie was truly epic.
but Aquaman 2 just continues the same universe ( meaning everything feels the same)

yeah the villain is weak and last minute, but I loved the action

I had no problem with Aquaman 2
I liked it a lot. visually it was just like the first one and also the plot was messy but not bad.

it's not as epic as Aquaman 1. that movie was truly epic.
but Aquaman 2 just continues the same universe ( meaning everything feels the same)

yeah the villain is weak and last minute, but I loved the action.
Loved AM1. The "buddy cop" cheesy comedy completely ruined the sequel for me. I pretend it doesn't even exist. I think I've pretty much checked out of anything that has run if the mill comedy in the script.

It's so crazy to see which sequels turn out well and which fall flat.

Top Gun 2? Blade Runner 2? Beetlejuice 2? Three sequels that no one wanted that ended up being either super high quality, a box office success, or both.

But then you get these "sure thing" follow-ups like Joker that are total garbage. So strange.

Not if it's a box office success. The studios will always double down on it whenever possible.

Yeah, that's what I mean. A successful movie will always be forced into "let's do it again". Seems like its been that way since the 80's.

But now, the trough of choices is far slimmer -- there's only so many IPs that matter, so the sequels are literal repeats of repeats we've seen only a few years ago. Batman is everywhere, Joker is everywhere... too much of a good thing is NOT a good thing.

Clearly, that lesson is lost on Hollywood, which of all places should be looking to expand its IPs, not constrict.

It's so crazy to see which sequels turn out well and which fall flat.

Top Gun 2? Blade Runner 2? Beetlejuice 2? Three sequels that no one wanted that ended up being either super high quality, a box office success, or both.

But then you get these "sure thing" follow-ups like Joker that are total garbage. So strange.
That’s what makes them so dangerous,
you’re gambling with multiple people’s investments every time you decide to revisit a once finished story.

Not to even mention all of the fans who have filled in the blanks during your departure. Either attempt a sequel early on or don’t bother unless you’re a truly gifted director with an unshakable vision.

It took James Cameron seven years to release his follow up to the legendary Terminator, but when he did, he surpassed it with flying colors, because that’s what a real director does. Either bring a quality product to the table or don’t be upset when they pull your chair.

Five years and we get this garbage..

Yeah, I love the idea of an Alvarez directed sequel to ALIEN Romulus and am bummed that George Miller won't be able to make a Max-centric "Wasteland," but at least the Max saga gets to end on a high note with Furiosa since it bombed and I now have to fear a potentially sucky Romulus 2.

Sequels take out a lot of the work in writing a fresh script too. There's already a base storyline to pull from. It's usually a lazy effort just riding the coat tails of it's predecessor's hype.

Back