Josh's Sideshow Star Wars Review Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why the score for "articulation" is all over the place (some got an 8.5, others a 10), when the base body has always remained the same?

Well, for me the figure was fine in all the joint areas. I read a couple where the shoulders where a little loose. These types of things will effect the score.

Nice reviews, I like the layout and background history of characters. Han's headsculpt was over-rated IMHO, even in person, the sculpt's flaws are pretty obvious. Otherwise, ratings seem quite fair, but a little too many 10's... which is understandable given the figures are great for the price point. I think Medicom, if it weren't so expensive and small would garner more 10's in the body department, so sideshow in relative terms should probably receive 8 or 9's; but sideshow definately beat them in the headsculpt department.

You know, when you look at Sideshow's line and the Medicom line, it seems to me, that even though Sideshow's are called ""figures"" they're designed and painted more with an intent of being a beautiful display piece with a life-like quality to it, where the Medicom figures come off to me like very high end action figures, and the simplicity of their face paint apps strikes me as treating these like they're glorified action figures. Sideshow even wrote in one of their quicktime movies about the Star Wars line that the figures are done with museum quality, and that suggest to me an expectation that these figures have articulation to setup different poses but will pretty much be simply posed, beautiful display pieces, which they're very good at being. I think Medicom bodies are impressive with articulation, but Hot Toys and Sideshow have far superior writs joints (at least the Rambo Hot Toys figures, they're the only ones I own).

Nice reviews as always, Josh1.... very good work.

And Maulfan... I have to argree with you on the Medicom vs. SSC/Hot Toys thing. Medicom figures are good for the clothes and the poseability.. but as far as the overall quality... SSC and Hot Toys got Medicom beat. The level of detail and use of superior materials is what does it for me. Well, that and the more natural skin tones and paint apps.

With SSC or Hot Toys, I don't HAVE to do a repaint... I choose to. With Medicom... I HAVE to. :cool:

Thanks guys!! I try to bring my little twist to these with the character background and my own love for these figures. I appreciate everyone that reads these.

Well when I compare SSC paint apps to Medicom, Medicom figures just look like a base plastic shade that doesn't very well produce a skin effect like Sideshow accomplishes. As for sculpt, I think Medicom and SSC are equals, they both do a great job from what I've seen, Medi's Jack Sparrow and X3 Wolverine look fantastic just lacking in much effort to paint the face beyond what I consider "action figure" painting, where Sideshow, even though the production paint isn't as great as the prototypes, still comes out with a stronger application and show's a greater effort to make the figure look like a realistic miniature.

Josh, sorry for going on a tangent in your thread, I just noticed a comment that I had things to say in counterpoint to and I've gotten off on a little tangent. Thank you for all the hi-res shots you provide, being a graphics buff, there's no such thing as too hi-res for me and I enjoy having the images you provide to see these figures better.

MaulFan said:
Josh, sorry for going on a tangent in your thread, I just noticed a comment that I had things to say in counterpoint to and I've gotten off on a little tangent. Thank you for all the hi-res shots you provide, being a graphics buff, there's no such thing as too hi-res for me and I enjoy having the images you provide to see these figures better.

No problem. I'm glad to be able to give something back be it these reviews or the high res shots.

Yeah, I wasn't sure honestly but I kind of factored in what they will be in the big scheme of things.

MaulFan said:
Well when I compare SSC paint apps to Medicom, Medicom figures just look like a base plastic shade that doesn't very well produce a skin effect like Sideshow accomplishes. As for sculpt, I think Medicom and SSC are equals, they both do a great job from what I've seen, Medi's Jack Sparrow and X3 Wolverine look fantastic just lacking in much effort to paint the face beyond what I consider "action figure" painting, where Sideshow, even though the production paint isn't as great as the prototypes, still comes out with a stronger application and show's a greater effort to make the figure look like a realistic miniature.

I think in terms of sculpt, Sideshow beats Medicom for the simple reason that Sideshow intends to have a realistic figure whereas Medicom seems to stylize their figures. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but my 2 cents is that in terms of realism of sculpt, Sideshow beats Medicom.

Back