Jurassic World Rebirth (2025)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to slight ToD but legacy-wise I'm not sure what it added that wasn't already present from Raiders, or did it start a cinematic trend when Indy endangered a young boy by having him tag along on his perilous adventures?
I'd rather suggest it prevented future filmmakers from going this dark in family/adventure films ever again (the same goes for Gremlins...). This is only one of the aspects that adds to the uniqueness and legacy of Temple. Much like the original King Kong which also freaked people out with (unnecessarily?) vicious kills, but instead of being censored by a legislating code, Spielberg himself suggested the introduction of the PG13 rating to largely similar effect. I'd say the difference between the uncut 1933 Kong and the censored post-code version, is just as profound (and equally important historically) as the difference between Temple Of Doom and everything fantasy/adventure that came after...

Now, I'm not saying the adventure genre necessarily needs to be raw and unforgiving, but the fact that Lucas and Spielberg ventured this far towards the dark side and still came out victorious, made for a truly one-of-a-kind movie, which we are likely never going to experience again. I also haven't encountered anything in this genre that challenges Temple when it comes to relentless high stakes situations (Not to mention it kept pushing the envelope for the series' innovative chase action and VFX in the mine cart sequence, and winning an Oscar for it to boot). If that's not the definition of an adventure "classic" I don't know what is...
Kate Capshaw's acting certainly wasn't legacy building material lol.
I've met more than a couple of women through the years who've been virtual carbon copies of Capshaw's character in that movie. Also, most people seem to forget that Temple, just like Raiders is part comedy. I actually think she did a great job...
I think to properly judge a film's potential legacy one has to view it through the eyes of the target audience, and over the last 20 years there have been several films/franchises that were quite popular that were clearly not made for our generation. Stuff like the Harry Potter and Hunger Games franchises, Barbie, etc.. And keep in mind that kids growing up with these films likely view Raiders and ToD similar to how we view Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, North By Northwest, etc. - great films in their day, but not the ones that are first and foremost in our minds when we think of our favorite films.
I'd say the Pirates franchise is the closest in style to Indiana Jones and if we're judging them solely by the amount of overacting, I'd personally have mr. Depp walk the plank over Capshaw any day of the week. The real question though is if modern kids will hold their "classics" in as high regard as we do a couple of years from now...

Last edited:
I'd rather suggest it prevented future filmmakers from going this dark in family/adventure films ever again (the same goes for Gremlins...). This is only one of the aspects that adds to the uniqueness and legacy of Temple. Much like the original King Kong which also freaked people out with (unnecessarily?) vicious kills, but instead of being censored by a legislating code, Spielberg himself suggested the introduction of the PG13 rating to largely similar effect. I'd say the difference between the uncut 1933 Kong and the censored post-code version, is just as profound (and equally important historically) as the difference between Temple Of Doom and everything fantasy/adventure that came after...

Now, I'm not saying the adventure genre necessarily needs to be raw and unforgiving, but the fact that Lucas and Spielberg ventured this far towards the dark side and still came out victorious, made for a truly one-of-a-kind movie, which we are likely never going to experience again. I also haven't encountered anything in this genre that challenges Temple when it comes to relentless high stakes situations (Not to mention it kept pushing the envelope for the series' innovative chase action and VFX in the mine cart sequence, and winning an Oscar for it to boot). If that's not the definition of an adventure "classic" I don't know what is...
I really wasn't thinking in terms of how it impacted the MPAA rating system when assessing its legacy, but if you want to go there sure, I guess it did. But I don't think many people remember it for that.
I did forget about the mine cart sequence which was without question a classic piece of filmmaking. That said, I think it (along with the even more absurd raft-as-a-parachute bailout from the airplane) contributed to making ToD more cartoonish in nature than was necessary. There's plot armor and then there's Unobtainium plot armor lol.

I've met more than a couple of women through the years who've been virtual carbon copies of Capshaw's character in that movie. Also, most people seem to forget that Temple, just like Raiders is part comedy. I actually think she did a great job...

I'd say the Pirates franchise is the closest in style to Indiana Jones and if we're judging them solely by the amount of overacting, I'd personally have mr. Depp walk the plank over Capshaw any day of the week. The real question though is if modern kids will hold their "classics" in as high regard as we do a couple of years from now...
Agree to disagree on Capshaw's acting. IMO it peaked in the opening nightclub sequence and went downhill from there. I do recall liking her performance in Black Rain back in the day, but in ToD I just found her portrayal to be one-note (shrill) and lacking any nuance. As for your Depp comment, I'll just say there's a difference between overacting and bad acting.

I really wasn't thinking in terms of how it impacted the MPAA rating system when assessing its legacy, but if you want to go there sure, I guess it did. But I don't think many people remember it for that.
I did forget about the mine cart sequence which was without question a classic piece of filmmaking. That said, I think it (along with the even more absurd raft-as-a-parachute bailout from the airplane) contributed to making ToD more cartoonish in nature than was necessary. There's plot armor and then there's Unobtainium plot armor lol.

Agree to disagree on Capshaw's acting. IMO it peaked in the opening nightclub sequence and went downhill from there. I do recall liking her performance in Black Rain back in the day, but in ToD I just found her portrayal to be one-note (shrill) and lacking any nuance. As for your Depp comment, I'll just say there's a difference between overacting and bad acting.
Capshaw is the reason I won't watch TOD anymore....

Agree to disagree on Capshaw's acting. As for your Depp comment, I'll just say there's a difference between overacting and bad acting.
Well, If those films weren't such childish fantasy adventures, I'd agree that the level of certain performances could be considered "lacking". Growing up with this film though, the only criticism I ever heard was directed towards the character Willie for being annoying, never Capshaw's acting. Just like in real life I guess it helps if you find the damsel to be highly worthy of those special "nocturnal activities"...

Also, There's plenty of bad and over-the-top characters/performances, as well as absolutely hillarious plot armour in Raiders too, but that one usually gets an automatic out-of-jail free card from die hard fans for some reason. I'd say the level of nostalgia is by far the biggest obstacle, when it comes to our ability to objectively critique movies in this particular genre. Just out of curiosity, When did you first see Temple Of Doom and how old were you?...

Well, If those films weren't such childish fantasy adventures, I'd agree that the level of certain performances could be considered "lacking". Growing up with this film though, the only criticism I ever heard was directed towards the character Willie for being annoying, never Capshaw's acting. Just like in real life I guess it helps if you find the damsel to be highly worthy of those special "nocturnal activities"...

Also, There's plenty of bad and over-the-top characters/performances, as well as absolutely hillarious plot armour in Raiders too, but that one usually gets an automatic out-of-jail free card from die hard fans for some reason. I'd say the level of nostalgia is by far the biggest obstacle, when it comes to our ability to objectively critique movies in this particular genre. Just out of curiosity, When did you first see Temple Of Doom and how old were you?...
It's possible that she was directed to play Willie like she did, but I found the character not only annoying but lacking any emotional depth - especially when compared to Karen Allen's Marion. She just seemed a bad match for Ford's Indy, even as the fish-out-of-water actress thrust into unfamiliar (jungle) circumstances. She had a few bright comedic moments, but for me there was no real chemistry between her and Ford.

Yes, Raiders had plenty of plot armor moments too, but none quite as unbelievable as that ToD raft escape from the doomed airplane. For me that was Indy's first step into Wile E. Coyote territory lol. As for when I first saw the movie that would have been during its initial release, so I was 24.

I don't think Capshaw was doing all that much acting in TOD. I think she was/is naturally like that.

This franchise don't stop till the Dinos take over the world, and humans are extinct - Then we start again with the Dino scientist, cloning humans back to life, to display in their theme parks, until they break out and begin to reclaim the planet!

Pay me Hollywood, I know one of your parasites is taking notes here. :lol

Last edited:
Would def be a nice change of pace tbh. Dino people running experiments on humans and humans must escape

Jurassic Park is my favourite movie but I have a huge soft spot for the lost world. It's meaner than JP, takes the story in a new direction and some of the set pieces are brilliant (trailers over the cliff, the hunters ensnaring the dinos on the game trail and t-rex camp attack into the don't go into the long grass). I enjoy the third act for the king Kong homage that it is. Jeff Goldblum for not just playing malcolm exactly the same way as JP but giving the character some nuance and being the voice of the audience even if less fun to watch.

That hard cut when the mother is screaming in the opening to Goldblum yawning in the subway is one of my favourites.

The Mercedes cars and their paint scheme. I love that freakin trailer as well.

Pete postlethwaite as Roland and his monologues in the movie. Casting is on point.

... sometimes it might even be my favourite JP movie even if the original is a better movie.

Gareth Edwards at the helm of the new movie is exciting. My wife is very happy with the male lead (he's in Bridgerton lol) so it's one she will see with me. Story looks to be smaller and dinosaurs hopefully not super pokemon friends but scary wild creatures that we don't know enough about.

Jurassic Park is my favourite movie but I have a huge soft spot for the lost world. It's meaner than JP, takes the story in a new direction and some of the set pieces are brilliant (trailers over the cliff, the hunters ensnaring the dinos on the game trail and t-rex camp attack into the don't go into the long grass). I enjoy the third act for the king Kong homage that it is. Jeff Goldblum for not just playing malcolm exactly the same way as JP but giving the character some nuance and being the voice of the audience even if less fun to watch.

That hard cut when the mother is screaming in the opening to Goldblum yawning in the subway is one of my favourites.

The Mercedes cars and their paint scheme. I love that freakin trailer as well.

Pete postlethwaite as Roland and his monologues in the movie. Casting is on point.

... sometimes it might even be my favourite JP movie even if the original is a better movie.

I completely agree with everything you said. I can say that while JP is the best in the franchise, TLW is my personal favorite. Sure, maybe it's not the BEST movie ever, but I don't get all the hate it receives.

The trailer sequence and the Quint-type 'hunter' are the best parts of The Lost World.

The ridiculous trapeze stunts against the raptors in the island finale are the worst -- the whole sequence is so overly choreographed. Goldblum is just walking around hiding while CGI madness explodes around him.

The dinos in San Diego final is funny... but then, it's funny.

Back