MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That dog Thing looks like a meatball covered in sauce đź‘€

You put your finger on it.

I was struggling to come up with the words to describe it. :lol

The Norris spider head is in a different league sculpt wise, and even though it has that twenty year old heavy Sideshow painting style it still looks pretty effective and creepy.

You put your finger on it.

I was struggling to come up with the words to describe it. :lol

The Norris spider head is in a different league sculpt wise, and even though it has that twenty year old heavy Sideshow painting style it still looks pretty effective and creepy.
Cover them both with some sort of gloss for that slimy effect and I reckon they’ll improve a bit 🤔

Striped mine down and the body is terrible. Put the original flight suit back on and it doesn’t look too bad rolled down.
The body will be a pain to swap if you intend using the boots.
Still really like the sculpts in hand. The suit definitely needs weathering and a bit of work. It’s definitely not all negative.

Attachments

• IMG_3860.jpeg
    IMG_3860.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3862.jpeg
    IMG_3862.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Striped mine down and the body is terrible. Put the original flight suit back on and it doesn’t look too bad rolled down.
Still really like the sculpts in hand. The suit definitely needs weathering and a bit of work. It’s definitely not all negative.
Can’t quite recall the exact line, but he’s definitely got that “you *****” or “cheating *****” (whatever he says) look to him 👍🏻

Can’t quite recall the exact line, but he’s definitely got that “you *****” or “cheating *****” (whatever he says) look to

Attachments

• IMG_3864.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3863.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
So how is the hair colour in-hand?
A little difficult to tell, but is it a lighter somewhat caramel brown with the darker beard like Mr Russell or is it all more of a chocolate brown?
Curious as to how much work will be required…

I guess you guys won't be ordering Mondo They Live NADA? He supposedly has a new sculpted body to go with his upcoming release.

Yeah looks maybe like something high end from 2004 not 2024. Will be interesting to see what any mods people make. The sculpts look fairly solid but yeah there is something about the clumpy hair that does look good, the expressions also seem a bit off. Paint apps on the spider head and dog Thing look very dated. Clothing minus the jacket look decent. Boots look a bit cheap and nasty.
I feel this could of been a lot better with just a bit more work.

Decided in the end he was too pricey for me and the proto did not blow me away and I knew there would be a drop off in quality for the final product.

So how is the hair colour in-hand?
A little difficult to tell, but is it a lighter somewhat caramel brown with the darker beard like Mr Russell or is it all more of a chocolate brown?
Curious as to how much work will be required…

I think it's all the same darker brown.

I took photos in the collection room to see what different lighting would do for him.

IMG_3317.JPG
IMG_3319.JPG

IMG_3322.JPG

IMG_3323.JPG

IMG_3326.JPG

IMG_3321.JPG

It's not a figure loved by the camera or harsh lighting, because they enhance its faults and accentuate its mediocrity.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive which is frustrating as according to DHL it's 'on hold'. I have no idea why that should be. I'm really hoping there's no customs fee to be paid.

I'm grateful to those who have received their figures for posting images. I guess it's what we all expected. I'm hoping there can be parts salvaged and I have the recent Sean Dabbs sculpt too which is a bonus. Looking at the images the sculpts aren't too bad and I have seen wonders done by studios like 365apt (I think that's the name off the top of my head) who I'm confident could drastically improve these sculpts by retouching the eyes alone. It would be cool if we could get a custom leather jacket run together in thin leather (maybe with a blue detachable hood) over at Custom One-Sixth forum, just to elevate it a bit more.

I already have the DiD replacement jacket, so I'll try to upgrade him with a new body when he arrives. I just ordered some replacement boots off eBay. It may be putting lipstick on a pig, but I think I can get him looking presentable.
I knew that Piggy.

Man oh man, this Things a mess.

View attachment 720132
Yes and he has kissed the Piggy who wears lippy.

I like the stripped down look different, and no hoodie or jacket required.

May use a Worldbox AT011 or 16 body.
DIY custom base and Mac shall be tickity Boo.

I've been quietly following along. I was worried at first but since I plan to have him in his grey shirt with the shotgun, I'm perfectly happy with his appearance. It'll help break up his look from the three NECA variants that will be surrounding him.

Does anyone know generally how much later BBTS gets their stock than direct orders?

About eight years ago they made an Alfred Hitchcock figure, but I don't remember seeing many in-hand pictures of it. The sculpt was by Trevor Grove and looked very good, but the prototype suit wasn't especially well tailored even for the time.

But I think this is their first realistic human figure since then, and that was so long ago that it probably can't tell us much about what to expect from Macready.

That Hitchcock figure was kinda grisly looking. I don't remember much about the fit of the suit, but the sculpt was quite rough and low grade. Like something a lower-end third party company would make a decade ago.

Looks good that way. How much room is there in the pants? Body looks like it's got super narrow hips. The prototype seemed more human looking.

I’d take this as is. Definitely better than nothing 👍🏼 I’ve wanted a Macready in the collection for years.

This :lecture - 100%

I think that's true for everyone that kept their order and has it in-hand . . . there are bound to be aspects that are disappointing to various degrees, especially since people here are so knowledgeable about the movie and 1:6 figures in general.

However, given the option between this, the NECA figures, or nothing, it's looking like I'll be happy (ish).

Time (and DHL) will tell :panic:

Congrats to everyone that already has it in-hand (mine is currently vacationing in California!) - and thanks again to EVERYONE for taking the time to post pics, information, and opinions . . . it is VERY much appreciated :family :duff

Yeah this does not look... great. I was happy enough with the proto despite the issues people had with it, but I wasn't expecting quite this big a downgrade.

It might have some potential after a repaint and weathering up the outfit or dusting it with some snow, but that's a lot more work than I really wanted to put into this thing.

I'm at least grateful I didn't go for the deluxe though, as the creatures are looking even more toyish.

Yeah that's definitely the look to go for with this figure. And it's just about as cool as the jacket look I think.

Back