MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I was hoping this figure could be at least acceptable without too much work. I love the film but don't think I need the character so bad that I'll go to the extent of finding all new clothes and boots, a new body, modifying even a replacement jacket, etc. just to get it to a point of acceptability and not excellence. I might just put it up for sale right away and try not to take too much of a loss. Shame. I appreciate Asta providing so many pics and insight, though.

Unboxing yesterday was a major disappointment. The figure looked like a hopeless case with negatives far outweighing positives.

Mondo literally wasted money having those tiny jackets made, but at least it hasn't gone to waste because Zendaya seems to like it. :lol

However, right now just a day later, after modifying the body; swapping to and adapting the new jacket, and finding a pose that works, I'm actually pretty happy with him.

IMG_3402 Mondo MacReady.JPG

IMG_3405 Mondo MacReady.JPG

IMG_3403 Mondo MacReady.JPG

IMG_3408 Mondo MacReady.JPG

IMG_3404 Mondo MacReady.JPG

IMG_3410 Mondo MacReady.JPG
IMG_3407 Mondo MacReady.JPG

Asta is a long-time member who has shown a lot of sense and judgment with 1/6 scale figures. Here he has provided detailed pics and insight. This isn't one or two photos with bad flash like we sometimes get that sends people careening one way or the other. Seems pretty clear what we are going to be getting here.

Looks like an older Sideshow piece to me from the pictures presented, which isn't all terrible. I'd like to see an outside shot (lighting) or him standing next to Sideshow's ED2 Ash.

Well, what can I say...the box looks pretty ******* cool! Glad those that ordered are happy with it. I see potential. But a lot of work needs to be done to this to get it on par with today's standards imo. This looks like something if released in the early 2000s would have been a home run.
I have several Mondo 1:6. And have been pretty pleased with most of it. But looks like they need to really focus on the soft goods if they want to complete with the other 1:6 companies.

He looks pretty great on the Sideshow Myers body lol. I wonder if those boots could fit on this body if I really softened them up and got those pegs out. Any recommendations on which bodies might be preferable to switch? I might pick something up. I'm actually happy with the sculpts and the body suit. The jacket looks really floppy all around the bottom but I feel like the body just makes the jacket look worse because of the He-Man shoulders. The back of the jacket appears much longer in the back and shorter in the front of the figure because of how badly it fits over the terrible neck/traps/shoulders. The body is really trash I hate it and you can't even lower is arms he looks like the Ralphie from A Christmas Story.

9598fdf2-63de-4d56-9ad8-bd37ecf6a264.jpg

c3443354-d6de-410d-9da6-9e92c84228ea.jpg

EDIT: Yeah as @magpie9 posted earlier - this is definitely the way to have this figure setup unless you're going to change out the body. He looks really cool with the indoor look with the flight suit pulled down. The giant shoulders and weirdly posed forward neck make the jacket fit terribly (I've seen it posted on FB on smaller bodies where it actually looks pretty good). The suit being taken half way down helps with his proportions and also helps to compensate for the arms being so elevated from side to side since you would have your arms posed that way if you were wearing a pulled down flight suit. I like the snow sculpt expression a bit more I like that he looks a bit concerned/freaked out.

0d8effb1-2224-4d29-a175-3dae4ccf73a1.jpg

Last edited:
I don;t get the older Sideshow comparisons. This is NOT a 2010 Sideshow..it simply is not. This is much better than that.

This is not hot toys, but maybe Threezero level? It's fine, but I think ALL 1/6 scale figures are overpriced. If this was 200...amazing deal. But 260 is painful.

I am terrible with pics so that is not for me. But very happy outside the short jacket. Hit my expectations. I did have a want for a "battle/snow" damaged McGready.

It's the weirdest looking body I've ever seen. They even painted it to accentuate the muscles.

View attachment 720091

The neck, which was apparent when trying to pose him, is angled forwards like one of the bootleg brands of TTM19 style muscle body:

View attachment 720092

The peg in the boot is placed so high up that it'll pose a problem for any body swap:

View attachment 720093
Body reminds me to when the dc direct did the watchmen figures if anyone can remember them!

The scale is different but that's also what came to mind when I saw it. I had a couple of those DC Direct 13 inch figures (batman and Superman) and the body looked like that and was really clunky.

The scale is different but that's also what came to mind when I saw it. I had a couple of those DC Direct 13 inch figures (batman and Superman) and the body looked like that and was really clunky.
This looks like their mondonxmen bodies...perhaps the upcoming cyclops..

This is their standard Mondo articulated bodies from the X-Men. The body shading is nice to see though.

One aspect of lacking perspective is licensing costs.

I'm used to receiving much higher quality military figures that cost a fair bit less, but there was no licensing involved. Same with third party bootlegs.

A chunk of the $265 would've been Mondo's debt to the license holder.

It's tough to weigh up the number of parts between an average military set and MacReady, because you get the two things. While the dog is largely a simple sculpt, lacking fine detail or paintwork, the spider is more intricate with its jointed legs.

Mondo cut corners, which is something certain other companies wouldn't do, because they respect the source too much (e.g., LIM Toys, but they don't pay licensing fees). The jacket is a disgrace when coupled with a figure the size of MacReady. It's a match you'd more expect from a very low end 12" figure aimed at kids young enough not to bother.

Even the spider, as good as it is, had a rushed paint job that didn't differentiate between hair and skin.

I don't know whether Mondo really thought they'd done enough, or that they couldn't afford to do any more due to the profit margin they were left with.

It's an odd one. Star Ace is often used as a benchmark for low quality, yet with MacReady some parts were better and some even worse.

It could also be that Mondo is accustomed to a different target audience, who aren't aware that higher quality in 1/6 is the standard nowadays.

But, again, it's MacReady, so we take what we're given from a company who isn't as established in quality 1/6, and we work with it the best we can.

Any port in a storm. It's been blowing a gale since 1982 with no sight of a licensed 1/6 figure until now. And he's not as bad as we was yesterday. :lol
Titanic GIF

titanic Underground flooding GIF

I don;t get the older Sideshow comparisons. This is NOT a 2010 Sideshow..it simply is not. This is much better than that.

This is not hot toys, but maybe Threezero level? It's fine, but I think ALL 1/6 scale figures are overpriced. If this was 200...amazing deal. But 260 is painful.

I am terrible with pics so that is not for me. But very happy outside the short jacket. Hit my expectations. I did have a want for a "battle/snow" damaged McGready.

On opening the box the first thing that reminded me of vintage Sideshow was the paintwork. It has that heavy application rather than layers of shading. It's most evident on the dog and spider.

The box itself was also retro Sideshow (and current Threezero) - an end opener made from cardboard as thin as a cereal packet.

It has a wonky body - Sideshow's were wonky in a different way,, being skinny and floppy, though they were capable of more dynamic posing (sometimes unintentionally due to their floppiness!)

This was a $265 figure delivered free from China, which is the same as buying a $265 figure from OneSixthKit, who ships out of China with delivery included. Though it's difficult to make a comparison with figures priced similarly - you could get a more basic Hot Toys that would be much higher quality throughout, but MacReady comes with the dog and the spider.

These reviews went up a few hours ago:

He looks pretty great on the Sideshow Myers body lol. I wonder if those boots could fit on this body if I really softened them up and got those pegs out. Any recommendations on which bodies might be preferable to switch? I might pick something up. I'm actually happy with the sculpts and the body suit. The jacket looks really floppy all around the bottom but I feel like the body just makes the jacket look worse because of the He-Man shoulders. The back of the jacket appears much longer in the back and shorter in the front of the figure because of how badly it fits over the terrible neck/traps/shoulders. The body is really trash I hate it and you can't even lower is arms he looks like the Ralphie from A Christmas Story.

View attachment 720451
View attachment 720450

EDIT: Yeah as @magpie9 posted earlier - this is definitely the way to have this figure setup unless you're going to change out the body. He looks really cool with the indoor look with the flight suit pulled down. The giant shoulders and weirdly posed forward neck make the jacket fit terribly (I've seen it posted on FB on smaller bodies where it actually looks pretty good). The suit being taken half way down helps with his proportions and also helps to compensate for the arms being so elevated from side to side since you would have your arms posed that way if you were wearing a pulled down flight suit. I like the snow sculpt expression a bit more I like that he looks a bit concerned/freaked out.

View attachment 720465
Ralphie, now we are talking my friend.

View attachment 720451
View attachment 720450

View attachment 720465
Hands down the best look and pose so far for me.

Don’t think I’m even gonna bother with a body swap. I’ve got no intention of using the jacket and I’m quite happy with this pose after a bit of weathering.View attachment 720404

I guess there's no way the sleeves could be tied together at the front?

528795-1200px-Thing09.jpg

The flight suit was so tight on the stock body that I thought it was going to rip getting it over his shoulders.

Even after cutting the traps down, and slimming the sides and biceps, I struggled to get it back on and was again worried about it ripping.

I was thinking maybe they changed to the superhero body mid-production, when the tailoring had already been done, but looking at the promo photos I think it's the same body (same traps and awkward arms). But in those promo photos the jacket was a better fit than production. It was still a bit small, but it was fully on his shoulders without being dragged up so much at the front. With the production figure I couldn't turn the arms without the jacket twisting up on the arm, and pulling itself back from his shoulders, resulting in the crop top look at the front.

Mondo Macready__PP-003 (1).jpg
Mondo Macready__PP-033.jpg

Mondo Macready__PP-003 (2).jpg

The suit may have been roomier too, as there looks to be more excess material, though I didn't spend any time looking at mine before getting on to the main event of cutting him up.

Mondo Macready__PP-003 (5).jpg
Mondo Macready__PP-003 (6).jpg

There's an expression I hear frequently on Youtube videos: "It is what is is."

That sums up this release.

If I hadn't pre-ordered him I would've felt justified in my decision when seeing the in hand photos and videos, though there would've probably been a nagging feeling that I wished I had so I could work on him, rather than not have a MacReady and spider thing at all.

So, I'm glad I did pre-order him.

Back when VTS released their first Revenger figure, the Ray Stevenson Punisher from War Zone, I made some wire panels to hang weapons on as in the War Zone armoury. I've used them over the years in the backs of mirrored display cabinets, to obscure the mirror and make photography easier.

This morning I thought I might as well use them behind MacReady.

IMG_3416 Mondo MacReady.JPG
IMG_3418 Mondo MacReady.JPG
IMG_3420 Mondo MacReady.JPG

I think I can stop messing with him for a while now, though that second sculpt is giving me ideas since I can't use it on this figure without making his clothes and boots frosty.

Last edited:
Back