MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a spare body and a few other bits so decided to see if I could do anything to make the jacket look better. It’s far from perfect but I do think it looks a lot better. Might do a full on snow effect on it.View attachment 720656
img_3893-jpeg.720657
View attachment 720658
Your coat looks pretty great to me.

I mean maybe when Mondo wasn’t owned by Funko I’d buy into the fact that they’d have a hard time getting a decent factory to work on this figure. Funko is a pretty large company though and while they aren’t in the sixth scale game they could have probably afforded a better facility if that’s what it took.

I think you guys are being way too forgiving about the likeness. He looks like Kris Kristofferson to me.

I think we’re all just thankful that they evolved away from these:
IMG_3039.jpeg
IMG_3040.jpeg

In any case, mine is arriving later today, excited to unbox and get to work! It was always going to be an overly expensive kit figure, in that regard I don’t feel like it strayed too far from the preorder proto. Need a Mac!

Thanks to everyone for the photos preparing us for what to expect, and how to get started improving!

Last edited:
So - DHL are fully living up to their reputation.

I've now had NINETEEN email notifications from them over the last 5 days. It's zig-zagged across various continents, and having settled yesterday in BC Canada, I've since had SEVEN emails saying versions of "clearance delay" with/without a "Shipment on hold, please call DHL at ...........".

I ignored these at first, assuming (correctly as it turns out) this was system-generated spam per the bulk of the other emails I'd received, but finally gave in, and called the number provided. Turns out it was the U.S. number, and someone who could barely speak English mumbled something about me having to call the Canadian number (which was not provided).

So, I looked up and called the Canadian number, got someone else who could barely speak English, who asked for everything excepting my inside leg measurement, put me on hold for 5 minutes, and then said "It's waiting in customs, you can sign-up for further notifications, but no action from you is required". I patiently explained I was already signed-up for notifications since that was how I was asked to call them (duh!), and asked why I was asked to call since there was no action required on my part. I also politely explained why I hate having ANYTHING delivered by DHL, because we ALWAYS . . . 100% of the time . . . encounter issues.

I dunno - maybe they are lonely and just like getting people to phone them :lol

DHL are total muppets.

The experience so far reminds me of the body art I had done last year.

1723836323156.png

Had a spare body and a few other bits so decided to see if I could do anything to make the jacket look better. It’s far from perfect but I do think it looks a lot better. Might do a full on snow effect on it.View attachment 720656
img_3893-jpeg.720657
View attachment 720658

That's looking great magpie9! Did you weather the jacket? Sorry if you have already posted about it. The body proportions look much better on a thinner body.

That's looking great magpie9! Did you weather the jacket? Sorry if you have already posted about it. The body proportions look much better on a thinner body.
Yes I did some dry brushing, wrinkled the sleeves a bit and flattened the collar. I thought the jacket was a complete right off but it definitely looks better.

I've now had NINETEEN email notifications from them over the last 5 days. It's zig-zagged across various continents, and having settled yesterday in BC Canada, I've since had SEVEN emails saying versions of "clearance delay" with/without a "Shipment on hold, please call DHL at ...........".

I ignored these at first, assuming (correctly as it turns out) this was system-generated spam per the bulk of the other emails I'd received, but finally gave in, and called the number provided. Turns out it was the U.S. number, and someone who could barely speak English mumbled something about me having to call the Canadian number (which was not provided).

So, I looked up and called the Canadian number, got someone else who could barely speak English, who asked for everything excepting my inside leg measurement, put me on hold for 5 minutes, and then said "It's waiting in customs, you can sign-up for further notifications, but no action from you is required". I patiently explained I was already signed-up for notifications since that was how I was asked to call them (duh!), and asked why I was asked to call since there was no action required on my part. I also politely explained why I hate having ANYTHING delivered by DHL, because we ALWAYS . . . 100% of the time . . . encounter issues.

DHL are total muppets.

View attachment 720682

I'm in Toronto and it's the same status on my end. I was hoping I'd have it in hand by now.

Have to say, I'm enoying reading about the modifications that some of you guys are doing on this. The head-sculpt at least looks fairly decent. Are any of you planning to repaint it?

Are the sculpts soft (I know they are) or is it heavy paint application?

Just saw your comment after I made my post. I'd like to know this, too.

DHL are total muppets.

View attachment 720682

I too am in the Toronto Canada area with the same issue. For the past two days its gone from "Processed for Clearance" to "Clearance Event" to "Shipment on Hold and back to "Clearance Event". I'd love to know what kind of "EVENT" this is where everyone at DHL is clutching their pearls over my parcel.

I actually doubt the parcel is in Canada. Despite the tracking indicating saying it is, DHL even states that the customs clearance can happen before the parcel is in the destination country, so that could simply mean the electronic paperwork has been initiated while the parcel is still in the U.S. I've had this happen before where the customs begins, they send me an invoice, and I make my payment a day or two before the parcel makes it to Canada and before DHL's Canadian customs broker has even seen the waybill. Whatever, I knew this wasn't going to be a 48 hour courier delivery for some of us. Now it's just a waiting game.

But what am I waiting for really? After seeing the various photos here I'm more than disappointed to have purchased this figure. It really does look like complete :poop: and will likely be my biggest collecting regret of this year, or possibly of the past several years. It just looks like a terrible third party figure that went bad at every stage of the various factory fabrications. Nothing fits right or looks correct - it's MacReady dressed in children's clothes. Reminds me of those Mad Max figures (I think they were from Premier Toys) where every part was incorrectly scaled and mish-mashed together into a vague facsimile of what the promo pics showed. Now I'm just hoping this figure looks a little better in-hand than what I'm expecting.

Unfortunately, this Mondo MacReady wasn't priced like a cheap third party figure, so it's hard to defend it as a kitbash kind of project worth customizing. No disrespect to those who did fight the good fight to improve this figure, but I won't be doing any work or adding more cost to make this right. What factory did Mondo send this job to? Was it the same factories that handle Hasbro and Mattel toys?

Last edited:
I’m very happy with this figure. Swapped the jacket and added a hoodie. Sticking with the stock body even though it’s not great.

Attachments

• IMG_4559.jpeg
    IMG_4559.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4555.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4561.jpeg
    IMG_4561.jpeg
    776.6 KB · Views: 0
I too am in the Toronto Canada area with the same issue. For the past two days its gone from "Processed for Clearance" to "Clearance Event" to "Shipment on Hold and back to "Clearance Event". I'd love to know what kind of "EVENT" this is where everyone at DHL is clutching their pearls over my parcel.

I actually doubt the parcel is in Canada. Despite the tracking indicating saying it is, DHL even states that the customs clearance can happen before the parcel is in the destination country, so that could simply mean the electronic paperwork has been initiated while the parcel is still in the U.S. I've had this happen before where the customs begins, they send me an invoice, and I make my payment a day or two before the parcel makes it to Canada and before DHL's Canadian customs broker has even seen the waybill. Whatever, I knew this wasn't going to be a 48 hour courier delivery for some of us. Now it's just a waiting game.

But what am I waiting for really? After seeing the various photos here I'm more than disappointed to have purchased this figure. It really does look like complete **** and will likely be my biggest collecting regret of this year, or possibly of the past several years. It just looks like a terrible third party figure that went bad at every stage of the various factory fabrications. Nothing fits right or looks correct - it's MacReady dressed in children's clothes. Reminds me of those Mad Max figures (I think they were from Premier Toys) where every part was incorrectly scaled and mish-mashed together into a vague facsimile of what the promo pics showed. Now I'm just hoping this figure looks a little better in-hand than what I'm expecting.

Unfortunately, this Mondo MacReady wasn't priced like a cheap third party figure, so it's hard to defend it as a kitbash kind of project worth customizing. No disrespect to those who did fight the good fight to improve this figure, but I won't be doing any work or adding more cost to make this right. What factory did Mondo send this job to? Was it the same factories that handle Hasbro and Mattel toys?

Thanks for the extra info.

img_3893-jpeg.720657
View attachment 720658
Wow nice work! I already ordered the DID jacket, but if I can get the stock one to look as good as yours, I might stick with it.

Wow nice work! I already ordered the DID jacket, but if I can get the stock one to look as good as yours, I might stick with it.

Yeah - with all due respect to those that did the swap - THIS (IMO) is a much better look (and EASILY the best presentation of "the jacket" so far).

I just don't think the black jacket looks right (colour more than anything).

As always though - each to their own - it's all good.

Yeah - with all due respect to those that did the swap - THIS (IMO) is a much better look (and EASILY the best presentation of "the jacket" so far).

I just don't think the black jacket looks right (colour more than anything).

As always though - each to their own - it's all good.

It's tempting to try the Mondo jacket again since magpie9 got it to look so good on a slimmer body, and xvsopx made it roomier by stretching it for the stock body.

The DID jacket is brown, a little darker than MacReady's, whereas Mondo's looks a little lighter than actual.

At the very least I think I'll have a go at weathering it, whether it's going onto MacReady or not. I think I have a better technique in mind this time.

It's tempting to try the Mondo jacket again since magpie9 got it to look so good on a slimmer body, and xvsopx made it roomier by stretching it for the stock body.

The DID jacket is brown, a little darker than MacReady's, whereas Mondo's looks a little lighter than actual.

At the very least I think I'll have a go at weathering it, whether it's going onto MacReady or not. I think I have a better technique in mind this time.

You'll work it out mate - no worries. Given the abilities we have here, any number of "fixes" will get documented, and then us "less able" folks can pick and choose results from talented people like yourself per our preferences.

This thread is an awesome example of just how many SERIOUSLY qualified folks we have here - regardless of our opinions differing . . . and we're always polite to each-other too! :family

Back