MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Custom DiD Jacket test fitted to figure :)

1727032437907.png

I pretty much have this figure the way I like it:

View attachment 727498

I just need to figure out how to apply the fur collar and buttons to the jacket. I did order one of those light blue hoodies from several pages back. Just waiting for that to come in. 👍🏼
The hoodie is pretty big, I abandoned mine for now. Just FYI I believe it was the one mentioned before.

I pretty much have this figure the way I like it:

View attachment 727498

I just need to figure out how to apply the fur collar and buttons to the jacket. I did order one of those light blue hoodies from several pages back. Just waiting for that to come in. 👍🏼
What body is that? Proportions look pretty good. Neck and hands look like a good match to the skin tone on the portrait.

Last edited:
In regards to that hoodie, the oversized light blue one, cut the sleeves off to prevent bunching. For starters at least. Garment tape it down under the flightsuit as well. It also helps balance out the scale of Mondo's heads which are slightly larger-looking due to the hair.

New accessory installed. Not accurate at all, but it's a good representation of the Vuarnet 027 glasses.

Apologies for the huge photo dump.

IMG_6717.jpg
IMG_6718.jpg
IMG_6719.jpg
IMG_6720.jpg
IMG_6721.jpg
IMG_6722.jpg
IMG_6716.jpg
IMG_6725.jpg
IMG_6726.jpg
IMG_6727.jpg
IMG_6728.jpg
IMG_6729.jpg

They are from the DAMTOYS DAM 78083 figure, easily available on the bay. They originally come with blue lenses, I just used a black sharpie to color them.

Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 12.17.00.png

Original glasses model:

image2.jpg
image3.jpg

Or you could keep it on shelf after a body swap and just accept it for the good but flawed figure it is. I mean, the 1982 movie was flawed too in many areas but we still love it even if it ain't as polished as a modern movie.

Just enjoy that you finally got a 1:6 Mac, it has been long enough. If I can happily display some 90's Kenner 12 inch figures I can sure as heck display this figure too. I say shift it only if you get a better replacement (custom, third party or officially licenesed).
It maybe the flaws that make it interesting. So using a WorldBox body, managed to get the boots to fit too.

Attachments

• 20240925_181138.jpg
    20240925_181138.jpg
    722.3 KB
Last edited:
Well after all the things I have read on this tread and the things others have achieved i decided to do my own thing without incurring any further expense. I shall be tinkering with the pose, clothing, maybe the hair too. Waiting for Directed by John Carpenter name plate.
Mac is now part of my John Carpenters The Thing tribute.

Attachments

• 20240926_153534.jpg
    20240926_153534.jpg
    652.4 KB
Last edited:
Well after all the things I have read on this tread and the things others have achieved i decided to do my own thing without incurring any further expense. I shall.be tinkering with the pose, clothing, maybe the hair too. Waiting for Directed by John Carpenter name plate.
Mac is now part of my John Carpenters The Thing tribute.
Thank you my friend, you inspired me to take another look.

So, current progress on my custom MacReady...

Completed a body swop & shortened the legs to be more accurate to Kurt Russell's actual body height (his legs were too long before).
Added my recently completed DiD leather jacket with fur lining & button mods.
Added custom Doggie Doc 'Michael Myers' boots.
Added green Jumpsuit from another DiD figure.
Added blue hoodie from Hot Toys Spiderman Homecoming figure.
Replaced flamethrower hose with more accurate braided version (phone charger cable).

Still more mods to try over time. Love working on this figure. :)

1727451744467.png

So, current progress on my custom MacReady...

Completed a body swop & shortened the legs to be more accurate to Kurt Russell's actual body height (his legs were too long before).
Added my recently completed DiD leather jacket with fur lining & button mods.
Added custom Doggie Doc 'Michael Myers' boots.
Added green Jumpsuit from another DiD figure.
Added blue hoodie from Hot Toys Spiderman Homecoming figure.
Replaced flamethrower hose with more accurate braided version (phone charger cable).

Still more mods to try over time. Love working on this figure. :)

View attachment 728350

Looks great! :love: Awesome work! (y)

But basically what you're saying is: head, T-Shirt and flamethrower were the only usable parts of a 300 USD figure... That's kinda sad... Not a great look for Mondo...

Looks great! :love: Awesome work! (y)

But basically what you're saying is: head, T-Shirt and flamethrower were the only usable parts of a 300 USD figure... That's kinda sad... Not a great look for Mondo...
Yup, that's about the size of it.

Only really purchased the figure for 'The Thing' creatures, MacReady headsculpts, Flamethrower & Shirt. Pretty much everything else was trash.
I'm even using a different Flamethower backpack but with the pretty accurate Mondo gun.
The Mondo figure was pretty poor (especially the body) - but came with some key parts to make a very decent custom figure.

Back