Movie Heroes Per Decade?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'd put him in 2017. The movie had a big impact. for 2019 I'd say Joker? Sorry but to me that was the biggest movie of 2019 and not endgame. Only cause people didn't expect it to be so huge and it won an oscar.

i'd put him in 2017. The movie had a big impact. for 2019 I'd say Joker? Sorry but to me that was the biggest movie of 2019 and not endgame. Only cause people didn't expect it to be so huge and it won an oscar.
Well, we need a separate category for anti-heroes and villains.

Nominees:

• Caesar (Planet of the Apes)
  • Logan
  • Spider-Man again
  • Rey :)lol kidding)
  • Thor got his time to shine in 2017 too.
  • Deadpool (2018 for DP2)

I'm leaning towards Logan or Spidey, but as far as being influential or a 'household name' maybe its actually Deadpool given how unexpected it was at the time.

LOL at the Rey inclusion. :ROFLMAO:

Back at it. So what I'm trying to pin down is a singular character that dominated pop cultural consciousness or heavily influenced it, in cycles running approximately every 6-10 years.

1920 - Zorro

1930 - Flash Gordon (3 film serials, '36, '38, '40)

1940 - According to Wikipedia, sales of Superman comics likely peaked in this era.

1950 - Buck Rogers (comic strip seems to be cited as hugely influential on spec fiction in the '50s but was actually created in 1929, a year before Flash Gordon)

1960 - James Bond (Played by Connery from 1962 - 1983 across 7 films)

1977 - 1983 -- Luke Skywalker

1989 -- Batman

1999 -- Neo

2002 - 2007 -- Spider-Man (Raimi)

2008 -- Iron Man

2017 -- ??

Where do Tarzan, John Carter of Mars, and Conan factor in? I feel like at least Tarzan shouldn't be discounted but not sure the other two characters were ever 'household names'.

Looking at the quick list above, it's also a combination of comic strips, pulp fiction and film, from the serials to the modern day blockbusters they inspired.

40's has to be Sam Spade from The Maltese Falcon.

Also, it's impossible to have this list and NOT have Indiana Jones OR Jack Sparrow on it.

At 1989, I'd say Batman was a 90's thing more than 80's. Same with 1999 Neo -- though he didn't have the same culture impact as Indy or Batman. I think I would put Sparrow over Neo.

I'm leaning towards Logan or Spidey, but as far as being influential or a 'household name' maybe its actually Deadpool given how unexpected it was at the time.

LOL at the Rey inclusion. :ROFLMAO:
I'd probably go with Deadpool as well, if somebody told me 10 years ago that a Deadpool movie, nevermind a THIRD Deadpool movie, was about to hit 1Billion in the box office I'd have laughed at them.

40's has to be Sam Spade from The Maltese Falcon.
I've never actually seen the film, but I know Bogart was huge.
Also, it's impossible to have this list and NOT have Indiana Jones OR Jack Sparrow on it.
I forgot Pirates completely. I guess we need to add in Indiana Jones ... the categories can't always be singular because there are certain eras wherein we had an embarrassment of cinematic riches.
At 1989, I'd say Batman was a 90's thing more than 80's.
I'd agree.
Same with 1999 Neo -- though he didn't have the same culture impact as Indy or Batman. I think I would put Sparrow over Neo.
Really? Not sure I agree with that but I'm likely biased, thanks to hanging around a bunch of Alt kids and coders at the time ... :unsure:

I'd probably go with Deadpool as well, if somebody told me 10 years ago that a Deadpool movie, nevermind a THIRD Deadpool movie, was about to hit 1Billion in the box office I'd have laughed at them.
Yeah, that makes sense. He's more of an antihero but guess he kinda straddles the line a bit.

I've never actually seen the film, but I know Bogart was huge.

If it wasn't for Casablanca, Bogart's singular "anti-hero" is Sam Spade. 1940's you think of film noir...

should the 70s be reeve superman and Luke Skywalker?

Are you guys just making your own list, devoid of cultural effects? There are so many heroes in each decade for those of the right age within it at the time.

I mean, 1970s was all about disaster movies and The Sting and Dirty Harry... and then came little Star Wars in 1977.

But Star Wars was so much bigger than just Luke Skywalker. You can take Luke out and still have a Star Wars movie. You can't take Dirty Harry or Indiana Jones out of their story and have a movie.

If it wasn't for Casablanca, Bogart's singular "anti-hero" is Sam Spade. 1940's you think of film noir...

Are you guys just making your own list, devoid of cultural effects? There are so many heroes in each decade for those of the right age within it at the time.

I mean, 1970s was all about disaster movies and The Sting and Dirty Harry... and then came little Star Wars in 1977.

But Star Wars was so much bigger than just Luke Skywalker. You can take Luke out and still have a Star Wars movie. You can't take Dirty Harry or Indiana Jones out of their story and have a movie.
I DON"T KNOW I WAS BORN IN the 90's!

GOSH YOUR SO MEAN!

*runs out the thread crying

Fair. So the decision to be made is whether we're sticking to speculative fiction (fantasy & sci-fi) or including action heroes in general. In which case we have to keep spies and detectives and adventurers in, and Sam Spade gets in.
The attempted exercise is to find the *one* that had the most impact at the time. An exercise in ruthless narrowing down. With maybe one or two others sharing the slot if we absolutely must.

I was born in the 70s, in time to see Star Wars as a small child but outside of being vaguely aware of things like The Towering Inferno or Dirty Harry, not much to go on.

We can set aside disaster films, villains and anti-heroes to make things simpler.

Very true, but if you have to pick a hero out of Star Wars, Luke is it. And no, I never bought Lucas retconning the saga as the rise and fall of Anakin. Even if so, he's no hero.

should the 70s be reeve superman and Luke Skywalker?
I don't know how big Superman: The Movie really was; surely not as big as Star Wars at any rate, although if memory serves there was a lot of buzz surrounding the film and Cracked (or was it Mad) magazine targeted him for a parody -- Super Duper Man or some such.

20s Zorro
30s Tarzan
40s maybe Rick Blaine
50s Tough, probably a western like Marshal Will Kane or Shane, or someone like Kikuchiyo from Seven Samurai who was possibly had a longer lasting impact
60s Janes Bond
70s Luke Skywalker although I can’t help but feel that for the majority it was Harry Callahan then Rocky
80s Indiana Jones
90s tough one, either John McClane, Jack Ryan or Ethan Hunt
00s Harry Potter, personally I would probably choose Spidey
10s Iron Man, Cap is a close second for me
20s it ain’t over yet, no idea, nothing really stands out, Wolverine for me right now :)

Last edited:
I think Sparrow had more mainstream appeal than Neo. Part of that was due to rating and merchandising, but let's be honest, he's also more lovable.

I think Sparrow had more mainstream appeal than Neo. Part of that was due to rating and merchandising, but let's be honest, he's also more lovable.
Yeah but for me, for both of those characters, each sequel eroded the appeal of the character.

Back