Statue Pablo V. & Andy B. New Sideshow Hulk PF with Variants!!! 1/4 scale !!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to check the link to see if I wanted to go ahead and do the early processing for my Hulk. Well, I soon as I did it enrolled me in it soooooo I guess he's coming sooner rather than later. Oh well. :)

I went to check the link to see if I wanted to go ahead and do the early processing for my Hulk. Well, I soon as I did it enrolled me in it soooooo I guess he's coming sooner rather than later. Oh well. :)

That my good sir, is what we in the business refer to as a blessing in disguise

I want this exact head/face sculpt minus the tiara for my Hulk PF!

SID3002212-King-Hulk-Premium-Format-D_2_1024x1024.png

I want this exact head/face sculpt minus the tiara for my Hulk PF!

SID3002212-King-Hulk-Premium-Format-D_2_1024x1024.png

Depending on the scale difference so one will probably do it. However, anyway you cut it that is recasting the work of another artist. I won't lie and say I couldn't probably pull something very close to that off, but I would be on damn shaky ground in the artistic community that is for sure. People don't like it when you copy someone else's work.

Depending on the scale difference so one will probably do it. However, anyway you cut it that is recasting the work of another artist. I won't lie and say I couldn't probably pull something very close to that off, but I would be on damn shaky ground in the artistic community that is for sure. People don't like it when you copy someone else's work.

It's one of the unwritten rules, I call people out on it on Facebook all the time.

No real artist would care about this if you completely remade it from scratch based on the previous design. It's done all the time as an homage to the original. Hell, comic artists do it constantly. There's a huge difference between recasting and "based on" or "after" type of work.

No real artist would care about this if you completely remade it from scratch based on the previous design. It's done all the time as an homage to the original. Hell, comic artists do it constantly. There's a huge difference between recasting and "based on" or "after" type of work.

There's a large difference between an Homage between professionals where credit is given and trying to resculpt something done by another artist as close as possible just to spin for profit, not that Spidey would ever do that.

And you're right it is done in comic art all the time but there's a right way and wrong way to do it. Hence why people call it swiping when it's done wrong.

There's a large difference between an Homage between professionals where credit is given and trying to resculpt something done by another artist as close as possible just to spin for profit, not that Spidey would ever do that.

And you're right it is done in comic art all the time but there's a right way and wrong way to do it. Hence why people call it swiping when it's done wrong.

All you say is true. I'm just pointing out Spidey's use of the term recasting. That's something that is always indefensible because you are actually ripping someone off completely by selling a bootleg copy of their actual work. Creating a design based on a previous one to go with an entirely different product while acknowledging it the entire time is not ripping off someone's work. It's no different than say a cover band. They get paid to play other people's songs, but they're still playing the music with the acknowledgement that they didn't write the songs.

That Koto 1/6 brown costume Wolverine head sculpt looks just like the SS lsf one but I don't know if was acknowledged by Sosa.

All you say is true. I'm just pointing out Spidey's use of the term recasting. That's something that is always indefensible because you are actually ripping someone off completely by selling a bootleg copy of their actual work. Creating a design based on a previous one to go with an entirely different product while acknowledging it the entire time is not ripping off someone's work. It's no different than say a cover band. They get paid to play other people's songs, but they're still playing the music with the acknowledgement that they didn't write the songs.

I see what you're saying. I only took issue with what you said about "No real artist would care" that's untrue in most cases, artists, quite naturally are protective of what they create. I actually remember a story about people telling Todd Mcfarlane that Rob Liefeld was ripping of his style, and Todd was upset to the point that he was going to go confront Rob at a convention, until he actually saw Rob's work and realized it didn't look anything like his.

I see what you're saying. I only took issue with what you said about "No real artist would care" that's untrue in most cases, artists, quite naturally are protective of what they create. I actually remember a story about people telling Todd Mcfarlane that Rob Liefeld was ripping of his style, and Todd was upset to the point that he was going to go confront Rob at a convention, until he actually saw Rob's work and realized it didn't look anything like his.

Yeah, I just meant the equating of doing a sculpt based on someone's work to recasting. Not that it's true for everyone because some artists are extremely full of themselves, but it would be hard to find fault if Spidey said, "Hey, I think the Gore Group's King Hulk headsculpt is so perfect, I wanted to have that head for the new Hulk statue. Here's the design I did for it."

As for your McFarlane anecdote, he would certainly fall into that "full of themselves" category. Most artists are flattered by these types of things. Like you said, swiping is something different entirely. Pretending it's a completely original idea of your own is extremely disingenuous.

I did not mean recasting it. I am not for that. All I meant was something this style, with a similar expression. I don't think this head is even big enough. But yeah, if someone did their own thing and it was similar in the hair, face style and expression, but looking head on or something... I really don't think that is breaking any artist bro codes. Haha

Yeppers... and THIS group of artists is very small. While there are some out there that do that kind of thing... They aren't always well thought of. The fact is if I sculpted something from scratch and then did it as a one off from myself and showed it. No one would say boo as long as I gave credit. Now if I did it and then stood to make several THOUSAND dollars from producing the head... Now that wouldn't be all that cool. That is what I was trying to get at. Now a similar expression and attitude in my own style ... that might be fun.

Back