Rancor vs. Luke Skywalker Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow requested some pics so they can compare them to what they have there. No word yet.

I agree with you guys, though. Color is a subjective thing. JayDawg's looks brown in those pics but mine in hand looks really green. I should say to me he does but again, that's subjective.

I wouldn't have described it as green so much, but definitely looks quite different from jay's, but it also seems like it's simpler in the detail work. Granted the pictures could not be good for comparison, but between the two, jay's looks better in color and application, almost like maybe the "green" ones were like an underlayer and a final layer that should have gone one wasn't applied. I'd have been ok with the one most people have posted here, but seeing jay's and knowing that even better is possible, the other is less acceptable now.

Not until July, I got converted to Flex and the payments are April, May and June. Though I'm nervous getting it that late now that it'll be someone's returned greenish one :lol. The biggest differences I see in paint between them that I personally care about are the overall quality more than color. Like I said, jay's looks more detailed and better applied, what do you think does it seem that way compared to yours?

I see more detail and a better application on his Luke. The color of his Rancor stands out to me too.

I like the way mine looks in amongst the collection but it's individual color and quality miss the mark.

That does look alright to me, definitely adds in with the Jabba crew nicely like I'd hoped, but if I can get a no tilt, jay paint quality version I'd be even happier.

Guys really it is surprising the different colors in jay's photos and in those of coco's, Likewise luke's face seems to be better, This week arrives my exclusive , I hope to meet an nice surprise, i take pics.

I heard back from Sideshow and the pics of mine match the one they pulled as a comparison so either the one they checked happens to be from the "green" batch or jaydawg's pics aren't an accurate representation of the color as Nash stated.

Regardless, if you think the pics of mine show it to be greenish in color then expect to be getting that if you haven't already.

I'm debating whether or not to send him back now that he's up on the shelf. I really want a Rancor in the collection but just not sure if I want this one or GG's.

That or there's a chance somehow jay's is the exception. While photos can change the appearance of colors, the differences between the two in this case just seems like more than what the camera will do without using Photoshop in post to totally change things. The colors look different and the quality of application looks different between them.

I heard back from Sideshow and the pics of mine match the one they pulled as a comparison so either the one they checked happens to be from the "green" batch or jaydawg's pics aren't an accurate representation of the color as Nash stated.

Regardless, if you think the pics of mine show it to be greenish in color then expect to be getting that if you haven't already.

I'm debating whether or not to send him back now that he's up on the shelf. I really want a Rancor in the collection but just not sure if I want this one or GG's.

Coco, for my there are no doubts, the piece of GG is better for all the ways, size , colour , sculpting, the SSC diorama for my is a class of consolation , Because I cannot have the GG's dio.
Sean has reason , the camera and his setup maybe change the photos ,Whatever when the mail delivers it to me , i take some pics and i'll see the truth.

Last edited:
At this point I'd be leaning towards the GG piece... I prefer the action of the Sideshow and think their Rancor is better looking. But the overall piece from GG seems stronger and more impressive.

And seems like you could get it for about the same price or less.

That or there's a chance somehow jay's is the exception. While photos can change the appearance of colors, the differences between the two in this case just seems like more than what the camera will do without using Photoshop in post to totally change things. The colors look different and the quality of application looks different between them.

Yep, jayD could have the exception. I agree about the overall quality of the application too. I'm curious to hear what his looks like.

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to keep it or get the GG Rancor like Gboy and fantasy have said. I like the action of it as well but I like that it depicts an actual scene from the movie where as the GG doesn't...decisions, decisions, decisions.

That's what kept me away from the GG Rancor, it's a nice maquette but the creature looks like a guard dog just sitting and waiting, he looks passive to me.

That's what kept me away from the GG Rancor, it's a nice maquette but the creature looks like a guard dog just sitting and waiting, he looks passive to me.

Ok Sean yes , it's passive and the Rancor seems a dog , But exactly it is what GG wants to show us, the rancor it's a big dog and Malakili is your owner..

Yeah the GG's guard dog look reminds me more of Tales From Jabba's Palace story about the Rancor and it's keeper. Very cool pose and look but if the action pose and movie depiction is what you're after, like me, then the SS version fits the bill.

It'd be cool if someone ever made a statue of the Rancor like this, minus the bone in his mouth.

rancor.jpg

That AMT model kit seems to be the best of both worlds... decent action pose and full bodied.

Might be kind of fun to build/paint it up as well.

091.jpg

Back