Resident Evil Customs Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The price is based on the quality of the work and the demand. There’s a very high demand so he can price pretty high and people will still buy his services.

I think with all things regarding collecting it’s all abt what a person is willing to spend/ how much collectorfever they have. Like someone said, most people would agree paying $200 for a “doll” is a crazy amount. Yet, here we are.

That analogy goes against your point somewhat. You still need a house for them to paint, much like in this hobby you will need the sculpt.

With the long wait times, the painters aren’t struggling for customers so the service isn’t too unreasonable for many.

I will play devils advocate and say the paint work on a lot of 1/6 official figures should be better and more in-line with the prototype so to that extent I see your point but the issue there isn’t with the customisers or painters.

I think end of the day your attachment to something determines its value.
Can Elaborate how it goes against my point?
I understand that most of these guys are super talented painter and does better job then the company that make figure itself but to charge a serviced at the price as amount as the whole figure or even more, is just far too much of an ask.

another important point is that a lot of these painters only do it as a side hustle. They usually have a job. Their free time is finite and valuable. They use expensive equipment and expensive paints + the years of practicing to get to this level of skill. Some of the painters ive worked with work on the sculpt several hours during multiple days. Its not like they cook up a finished sculpt in an hour or two.

I guess value is subjective and it is crazy to think you're paying for a head sculpt alone that costs more than a full figure and I do get that. Time is money and you're paying for the artist time and expertise.

It is a service and definitely not for everyone, I myself pick and choose, I've paid for heads that cost well over $400 before, while they are amazing and I don't mind forking over that kind of money if its my absolute favorite character.

I do wish the communication is better with these artists, I know they could be busy and its not their full time job, but it does make things feel abit uneasy if you've paid that kind of money and they don't get back to you for days/weeks.

I understand doing commissions works i done few myself 3D Print Projects and Custom Parts, Out of all of them i would never charge at price i know i wouldn't buy myself.

Can Elaborate how it goes against my point?
I understand that most of these guys are super talented painter and does better job then the company that make figure itself but to charge a serviced at the price as amount as the whole figure or even more, is just far too much of an ask.
From my understanding of your initial post part of the issue regarding the cost is that you have to provide the sculpt.

The house painter analogy goes against that part of your point. The painter isn’t gonna build the walls for them to paint.

“…It would be understandable if they made the headsculpt and charge for paint service but just to do the paint job…”

They are charging for the painting service regardless of what they are painting on. The value of what they are painting on doesn’t matter. Only the quality of their work.

If you swap a sculpt from a £200+ figure for a £20 canvas for the artist to paint or a cheap recast sculpt or statue does the artist need to then lower their service prices for the same level of quality?

From my understanding of your initial post part of the issue regarding the cost is that you have to provide the sculpt.

The house painter analogy goes against that part of your point. The painter isn’t gonna build the walls for them to paint.

“…It would be understandable if they made the headsculpt and charge for paint service but just to do the paint job…”

They are charging for the painting service regardless of what they are painting on. The value of what they are painting on doesn’t matter. Only the quality of their work.

If you swap a sculpt from a £200+ figure for a £20 canvas for the artist to paint or a cheap recast sculpt or statue does the artist need to then lower their service prices for the same level of quality?
People skills varies from people to people and not everyone deem the price is justifiable to spend on that much.
My analog if i hire painter to paint the house and i provided the paints and equipment i wouldn't want to be charge same level as the painters providing everything themselves.
Never stated that Painter needed to provided the wall or build it if they charging me as much as it is to build one then sure i concede to the contradiction.
If someone is happy with the serviced that they been provided then good on them, i got nothing against it but i will have my opinion on the serviced charged as i hold my own view on this subject matters.

Not denying their talent and skills but for me maybe if I had the extra money to get commissioned repaints or $3XX custom I would but I have other priorities. If you have the money to spend on repaints etc go for it. Do I think it’s pricey? Sure, but it does take time/skill among other things that have mentioned but I do appreciate seeing their work but it’s not for me.

There are always 2 type of opinions with these type of discussion when we talk about any art...

I Myself never and maybe will never ever buy a custom works 'cos of the price... but everyone should know Custom works is varied depends on how difficult and how good the customizer is.. the more talented customizer and the more difficult someone did it (material, tools, sources, work hours, etc) will always be the more price they demand..

Never ever compare a mass produce with a custom price, different talent and different resources... try to compare how much HotToys pays for KA.Kim or JCHong just to paint or sculpt their prototype... what these people did is an art that not just anyone who buy 3d printer can do it, even Hottoys talented factory painter can't copied the prototype that painted by the original artist...

and custom works is produce by demand which means they already had a buyer stand in line willing to buy their price before they actually produce it, so if its out of our price range... just enjoy the product photo like when we go to museum.. no need to rational it afterall not everything in this world is for us... :giggle: :giggle:

and just like the old saying, "What u buy is not the price of the product they sell, but what u buy is the price of how long their experience to be able to do something like that..."

Last edited:
I personally have no problem with what (most) painters charge. But some of them definitely charge too much.
The same goes for sculptors. I acknowledge that a lot of time goes into something like this, but to pay over $1k for an .stl file? Not even a physical sculpt? Nah, thats asking too much.
But at the end of the day, no one is forcing anyone to pay these prices but oneself. I do think that $200-300 for a repaint is pretty reasonable though. As these skills don't just happen overnight. And it can make your figure very unique.
I wouldn't mind getting at least one repaint done somewhere down the line, but it's like @Project_A said, too many other priorities.

I think one of my favourite artists is l2293078265 from Insta. Insanely talented, but unfortunately she doesn't do overseas commissions due to language miscommunication. Or thats what she told me anyway.

I just paid $800 for 4 headsculpts lol. Whoopsie.

But the sculpts were all designed, printed and painted by the artist and it’s totally exclusive only making a max of 10 pieces. So I think it was a bargain. I know rocco the sculptor charges $1000 for a 3D file of a headsculpt that you have to print and paint yourself so that’s the whole other end of the spectrum.

For me, certain characters deserve proper paint jobs. For example, ones that likely wont ever be made again, like Leon, should look as good as possible. Thats why I'm spending over $200 on a Claire jacket, because Ill never have a better figure. Figures like Batman and pretty much any marvel figure will have recycles of figures every couple years, not these. Of course this is all subjective. Some people don't mind, others would rather have more figures than spend a ton of money on paint/custom parts.

I may also be biased, I love customs and plan to dip my entire collection into them when I get to my end point.

Found this on Simonfong Instagram from 2022.

1000006709.jpg
1000006710.jpg
1000006711.jpg

Hello there. I have seen pictures of the Ada and Leon from MTTOYS floating around the internett and since Resident Evil 4 is one of my all time favorite video games I am intrigued. However I have some questions and this seems like the right place to ask them.

I have collected a wide variety of strange toys over the years but this 1/6 stuff seems like the biggest toy rabbit hole I have encountered yet, and it is a bit hard to find definitive information.

As for these two specific figures is there a general verdict on them? What is know of the manufacturer? What other figures should i check out for the "best" versions of Ada and Leon?

There seem to also be a wide variety of manufactures of 1/6 stuff ranging from official licenses to unofficial makers with codenames on figures to skip around licenses to people that do custom one to one jobs so this is all a bit bewildering.

I see from the product descriptions of both Ada and Leon from Mttoys that they refer to a "seamless body". On some other version of Ada figures it seems they use a figure from another company. Is this a standard body that many companies use as a base to put their modifications on or do different companies make their own bodies from scratch? Some figures also seem to be upgrade kits where you need a body to begin with.

Also what is a seamless figure and how do they work? What should you be aware of when owning one? Some sources claim they have a risk of breaking over time if left in cool poses.

Sorry if these are a lot of newbie question but 1/6 figures cost a lot and seem to take up a lot of space so like to get as much information as possible before i commit to something new.

Hello there. I have seen pictures of the Ada and Leon from MTTOYS floating around the internett and since Resident Evil 4 is one of my all time favorite video games I am intrigued. However I have some questions and this seems like the right place to ask them.

I have collected a wide variety of strange toys over the years but this 1/6 stuff seems like the biggest toy rabbit hole I have encountered yet, and it is a bit hard to find definitive information.

As for these two specific figures is there a general verdict on them? What is know of the manufacturer? What other figures should i check out for the "best" versions of Ada and Leon?

There seem to also be a wide variety of manufactures of 1/6 stuff ranging from official licenses to unofficial makers with codenames on figures to skip around licenses to people that do custom one to one jobs so this is all a bit bewildering.

I see from the product descriptions of both Ada and Leon from Mttoys that they refer to a "seamless body". On some other version of Ada figures it seems they use a figure from another company. Is this a standard body that many companies use as a base to put their modifications on or do different companies make their own bodies from scratch? Some figures also seem to be upgrade kits where you need a body to begin with.

Also what is a seamless figure and how do they work? What should you be aware of when owning one? Some sources claim they have a risk of breaking over time if left in cool poses.

Sorry if these are a lot of newbie question but 1/6 figures cost a lot and seem to take up a lot of space so like to get as much information as possible before i commit to something new.

Woaa.. thats alot questions in one post... hehehe..

first of all.. the only license RE 1/6 figure were the old Hottoys RE5, RE6 and the new one is DAMToys Ada,Leon,Claire RE2Remake... everything elses is third party/Unlicensed one..

for RE4R i think the best one is unlicensed MTToys for the Head, everything elses like costumes is varied betweeen others companies..

u can search tbleaque(phicen) for seamless body alot of different body type it use a silicon medical grade with stainless stell bones....

usually every third party company doesnt produce their own body they use other company body, sometimes they sell with or without body...

join the 1/6 Facebook group for more info such as Onesixthrepublic , etc

Last edited:
Back