Saturn Toys 1/6 '66 Batman and Robin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, nice to see that the underoos aren't so bad once you flip them around.

I flipped mine around as well. With them off there's no noticeable difference in the tailoring, but once back on there was a slight improvement.

They still needed the extra suit underneath and a little cotton wool in the back to fully take in the looseness at the sides.

I noticed that and wondered how it was possible. There again, more of the nose was showing on both his HT and Saturn so he might not have the HT plate pushed right up.

My original comparison:

455334-Saturn-Batman-1.jpg

With the HT plate in the Saturn:

View attachment 647035

I don't know what's going on, need more in hand experiences I guess.

But here's Justin's "noses"...

justin's review Batman COMP Saturn vs HT 6-27-23 (4).jpg

justin's review Batman COMP Saturn vs HT 6-27-23 (3).jpg

Face plates sit virtually identical.

In fact, in Justin's lighting, I find the Saturn face plate to look more like Adam West.

I don't know what's going on, need more in hand experiences I guess.

But here's Justin's "noses"...

View attachment 647036

View attachment 647037

Face plates sit virtually identical.

In fact, in Justin's lighting, I find the Saturn face plate to look more like Adam West.

It must be the angle his camera's looking at them. In the first photo the HT nose looks ape-like, as though the camera is looking up his nostrils, even though both camera and figure seem to be level.

The second photo makes them both look ape-like.

But that is the Saturn sculpt which has the longest actual nose sculpt, and it appears to be further up under the cowl. Maybe mine would've fitted in the same if I'd taken more time with it, but I moved onto the HT plate because it slotted more easily further up under the cowl.

I definitely feel better about Batman having watched Justin's video.

He mentions potentially swapping the body on Robin to have less ugly knee and elbow joints. Are there any bodies available that would work though?

Got my set today. Never got the HT ones so I don’t have a personal comparison. For basically $100 per figure, I think they’re great. They get a lot of slack from me because the original costumes weren’t all that high quality either. Even at their best, they were a little derpy. So the flaws don’t bother me too much as they’re probably accurate enough to one scene or another at some point in time. At least they didn’t give Batman a sponge belt.

Not to say I’m not hoping for a repeat of their first Joker with the rest of the villains but in terms of quality rather than the two variants. The price and source material played a big part with the dynamic duo for me. Solid purchase but your mileage will vary on how much work you may want or need to put into them to have them to your liking. Like others have said, I feel Robin is probably the better of the two out of the box.

Screenshot_20230628_103159_YouTube.jpg

See in an image like this the saturn batman looks slightly off
Screenshot_20230628_103535_YouTube.jpg

But here...i just can't tell the difference man. Even if it's the lighting it just looks almost the same. Some of justins reviews lighting actually compliments the figures, and in some (like his ianrt joker review but lets not dread that up 🤣) don't do it any favors.

I dunno -- see in that picture, I see more West in the Saturn.
Yeah i see it now, i dunno though in hand my hot toys figures looks like west, i feel that's some camera lens distortion thats causing the hot toys to look worse cause i know it doesn't like that in hand, it looks great all faceplates are great.

I should have my set this week as it’s cleared customs already :yess: It will be interesting how it stacks up based on both Asta’s review and Justin’s. Curious to know if there’s any large degree of variance between the different copies.

While I was not planning any mods for Robin, I do wonder if a body swap to the Jiou Doll “teenage” body would be a good fit for him in order to have seamless elbows and a smoother look under his tights at the knees. Even though I don’t want to spend a lot of money trying to fix these up, I can’t help but think of potential ways to do so 😅

Last edited:
Nosegate.

This is how a HT face plate should look in the HT head:

Level with the camera, barely any of the tip of the nose shows:

100_4756.JPG

(He does have an ape-like nose. lol)

Shot from lower down:

100_4755.JPG

Directly side on:

100_4746.JPG

This is a HT faceplate in the Saturn head:

100_4749.JPG

It fits perfectly in width and height, but sits further forward. This maybe due to the head recasting process, and may explain why they sculpted a longer nose, thinking that it would look better with more clearance from the nose of the cowl?

The actual costume for reference:

batman-1966.jpg

image.jpg

I'm happy with the modded Saturn Batman:

100_4748.JPG

Also with the un-modded Saturn Robin. It was a revelation to find that I actually preferred him to the original.

I flipped mine around as well. With them off there's no noticeable difference in the tailoring, but once back on there was a slight improvement.

They still needed the extra suit underneath and a little cotton wool in the back to fully take in the looseness at the sides.
I was thinking to sew the side seams in some more, so the trunks are tighter at the hips rather than going the extra padding route.

I was thinking to sew the side seams in some more, so the trunks are tighter at the hips rather than going the extra padding route.

That would work.

I quite liked the slimmer Batman as a contrast to Hot Toys', but I still felt there was something off with the scale of the belt to his waist. As I wrote initially he reminded me of a Victorian strongman or wrestler, rather than a more modern superhero.

While the '66 Batman was played for laughs I've always imagined the Hot Toys figure as representing a more serious comic book version.

Mine should be here this weekend. Long wait. I'm sure I'll post pics. I'll probably stop with these and Romero, potential Penguin add if that pans out. At least the rogues will be in equal numbers then. :LOL:

Arrived today. They are ok overall. Wish Mars had done their own take on them instead though.

Mine set is finally in Texas though it’s looking like it won’t arrive now until after the 4th. So, another week for me to see what these are like.

Thanks for the Trend . Seems no updates on when they will be released . Where is best dealer to buy Saturn and Maris figures ?
I actually ordered them and I just got an email saying they will be shipping in August,so I had to pick my shipping option.

Mine just arrived....
I LOVE THEM.
I seriously couldn't be happier with them, they are so vibrant, really well made and feel high quality - especially Batman's cape material and Robin's outfit.
I have a feeling I will play around with poses a bit but I had to start them off with Robin gripping his fist (I can practically hear the "Holy -------- Batman!") and Batman dancing the Batusi.
Considering I was at one point considering cancelling this order to save a little money, I am so glad I didn't do it - these are brilliant figures, fantastic representations of iconic portrayals and with the Romero Joker make for a vibrant dynamic interesting and fun display - these are the sort of figures that keep me in the hobby.
Absolutely chuffed to bits with them.
Can't wait for the other '66 villains!!!!
1688206795120.png

1688206815589.jpeg

1688206845631.jpeg

I've found it difficult ever since the Hot Toys to get poses I like out of either figure. I finally settled on the anti-shark spray as I couldn't get any of the other accessories to work.

There's a really good series of photos and poses of the Saturn pair by Noah Botica on Mars' Facebook. They did one very simple but effective pose for Batman that was the same as I briefly tested myself, so I've returned him to that look:

100_4768.JPG
100_4765.JPG

I'd like to get the HT cape to hang more vertically, but it sticks out to the side almost as much as the Saturn in Botica's photo.

Back