Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:chew:chew:chewJust wanted to let you guys know that my Valentine's day present to myself finally came--I ordered 2 General Ursus from Amoktime, and I'll be replacing the heads of this one with Angel's gorilla and the Hunt leader head (which I haven't ordered yet)...

My gorilla head probably is languishing in the mailbox. I didn't realize that there was postal service yesterday so I didn't even check. I have to wait until this evening to get to it, but I'm sure it's there.

Jess.

Thx Jess and Shomp! As soon as Matt S. casts these I'll get their outfits fixed up and pix posted. The last step is to swap out the Zaius head with one I had sculpted.

Snick--can't wait until I see your Zaius sculpt! You are keeping me in suspense! :monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

As you can see, my wife gave me a few more apes on Valentines Day. (See pictures) The card she gave me was the Planet of the Apes Valentines Day card! Big surprise huh? (Taylor and Zira kissing) I have that on my desk at work for all to see. Sorry no pix of that here. Did any of you actually see that card yet?

I’m currently working on several projects today as you might guess. Aside from putting up molding in my kitchen and repairing a broken toilet, I’ve also been busy today with the Helmet of Ursus, the rear doors of the ape wagon, and improving upon the artful ape partition. Attached are a couple pictures that show the rear doors of the ape wagon as I put "rivets" in them. I predrilled some pilot holes and inserted the tiny nails into the doors. The nails are way too long and stick out on the opposite side. I’ll be cutting the excess nail portion off and then sanding the nails down really smooth just as I did with all the other nails - “rivets”.

My hands are going to ache from cutting all those nails…

Jess - Zira look awesome! You did a fantastic job with her hair. Let me know if your gorilla head shows up today. KFog wrote me and said both of his painted gorilla heads arrived today. I'm so glad. :)

Snick - Those glyphs look bloody well right!

Last edited:
Angel--instead of cutting the brass nails for the rivets, have you visited the craft shop lately? They have tons of stuff that I think you could use instead. The things I'm thinking about are "brads" and you can find them at the scrapbooking section. It might save your hands some work. The photo is somehow not attaching, but check out this link:

https://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3022&PRODID=prd51204&source=search

You should check it out and see if the sizing is appropriate.

I saw a photo of the Taylor and Zira kissing valentine's day card, and I actually went out to look for it, but there was none to be had in these parts. Stupid humans. Can you tell me what music it plays? :monkey2

Jess.

Last edited:
As you can see, my wife gave me a few more apes on Valentines Day. (See pictures) The card she gave me was the Planet of the Apes Valentines Day card! Big surprise huh? (Taylor and Zira kissing) I have that on my desk at work for all to see. Sorry no pix of that here. Did any of you actually see that card yet?

I’m currently working on several projects today as you might guess. Aside from putting up molding in my kitchen and repairing a broken toilet, I’ve also been busy today with the Helmet of Ursus, the rear doors of the ape wagon, and improving upon the artful ape partition. Attached are a couple pictures that show the rear doors of the ape wagon as I put "rivets" in them. I predrilled some pilot holes and inserted the tiny nails into the doors. The nails are way too long and stick out on the opposite side. I’ll be cutting the excess nail portion off and then sanding the nails down really smooth just as I did with all the other nails - “rivets”.

Jess - Zira look awesome! You did a fantastic job with her hair. Let me know if your gorilla head shows up today. KFog wrote me and said both of his painted gorilla heads arrived today. I'm so glad. :)

Forgot to say that the ape artwork in the background is looking amazing, and all the little items on the table in front of the orangutans are really making that scene look complete.:monkey5

Good to see you back my old friend! Buy the way, the gorilla in the first pic, did you cast his head? I would like one but if I got him, I more than likely would have to have you put him on a body for me. I am still too afraid to pull their heads off. Email me on the price and stuff and lets see what we can work out. Great net buy the way. Where did you get it at?

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana
Angel, I just wanted to let you know that the gorilla head was probably languishing in the mailbox yesterday, but he's here in my paws now. He's absolutely gorgeous. I hope I can paint him up nicely.

You will have to show me how to make a cast or point me in the right direction because a lot of people have been asking for Zira's head and I don't know where to start. :monkey1
Jess.

I breath a sigh of relief with the return of my ape friend, Angel.

I missed you pal! I'm glad you didn't leave us... "behind with no regrets... but tell me though........"

Sorry I'm starting to quote Taylor's monologue again (Rolling smiles)

Last edited:

ANG - Cool! Thx. They are being shipped out to be cast today.

ANG - The wagon doors are looking great! Your gorilla with the net is really cool. Is that the gorilla head I sent you? The table for the trial scene is looking incredible! The net is incredible too. Great job on all!

ANG - If you cast the Ursus helmet put me down for one.

Last edited:
Boy, a lot has happened since I last posted... GEEZ... I am quite literally speechless. :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

There is so much to react to... I guess I'll address each individually in a separate post.

You guys have given this monkey a lot to think about...

Wow....

FIrst off Jess that is an AMAZING Mego Zira you got there. Seeing her next to the operating table (complete with strapped in human)... well... it almost made me want to collect Megos again.

Almost. :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

Actually, my son wants to collect those re-pros of the Mego Apes that are coming out soon. Seems he wants the toys his old man had when he was a kid. Bless him :D

FIrst off Jess that is an AMAZING Mego Zira you got there. Seeing her next to the operating table (complete with strapped in human)... well... it almost made me want to collect Megos again.

Almost. :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

Actually, my son wants to collect those re-pros of the Mego Apes that are coming out soon. Seems he wants the toys his old man had when he was a kid. Bless him :D

PZ, I think the repros are kinda pricey. I'd rather get one more SS ape than a pair of the repro Megos. Thanks for the compliments though. Doesn't Zira look way better with her new 'do? Bless your little boy!!

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this line and wondering if it was going to continue. I bought most of mine on eBay. I'd like to see Sideshow start a Premium Format line for Planet of the Apes and begin with General Ursus. The ape armor would look incredible in the 1/4 scale format. In fact, Sideshow could begin the entire line again with the major characters. I primarily collect Star Wars and have nearly all of the 1/4 scale line, but I wouldn't be able to resist a new 1/4 POTA line.

Welcome General! It's great to see a new name pop up in this beloved thread. :D

Glad to see someone else around here that would love to see a 1/4 POTA line. :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

I don't know if you knew this General, but Sideshow had originally planned a 1/4 Zaius and Cornelius when they first rolled out the 12" POTA line nearly four years ago. They announced the line at the 2004 Toy Fair in NY. In fact, here's the portion of the original newsletter detailing their roll out:

* PRE-ORDER PLANET OF THE APES FIGURES EARLY!On a planet where apes talk and walk like men, and men are primitive animals, Taylor, an astronaut from Earth, is captured by gorilla soldiers when he crash lands his spacecraft. He is imprisoned and left in the care of two chimps, Cornelius and Zira. It's soon discovered that Taylor, unlike the other humans, can talk. Taylor is brought before Dr. Zaius, an orangutan, who fears the talking human could bring the downfall of the ape civilization, on the Planet of the Apes! Now you can pre-order the first 5 characters from our 'Planet of the Apes' line-up! Available are 1/4 Scale figures of Maurice Evans as Dr. Zaius and Roddy McDowall as Cornelius; a polystone reproduction of The Lawgiver; and 12" figures of Charlton Heston as Colonel George Taylor, Kim Hunter as Zira, Linda Harrison as Nova, Dr. Zaius, and Cornelius.

Welcome General! It's great to see a new name pop up in this beloved thread. :D

Glad to see someone else around here that would love to see a 1/4 POTA line. :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

I don't know if you knew this General, but Sideshow had originally planned a 1/4 Zaius and Cornelius when they first rolled out the 12" POTA line nearly four years ago. They announced the line at the 2004 Toy Fair in NY. In fact, here's the portion of the original newsletter detailing their roll out:

* PRE-ORDER PLANET OF THE APES FIGURES EARLY!On a planet where apes talk and walk like men, and men are primitive animals, Taylor, an astronaut from Earth, is captured by gorilla soldiers when he crash lands his spacecraft. He is imprisoned and left in the care of two chimps, Cornelius and Zira. It's soon discovered that Taylor, unlike the other humans, can talk. Taylor is brought before Dr. Zaius, an orangutan, who fears the talking human could bring the downfall of the ape civilization, on the Planet of the Apes! Now you can pre-order the first 5 characters from our 'Planet of the Apes' line-up! Available are 1/4 Scale figures of Maurice Evans as Dr. Zaius and Roddy McDowall as Cornelius; a polystone reproduction of The Lawgiver; and 12" figures of Charlton Heston as Colonel George Taylor, Kim Hunter as Zira, Linda Harrison as Nova, Dr. Zaius, and Cornelius.

PZ, did these have photos?:monkey1

The Beneath glyphs are attached. The long glyph that sits in front is going to be reduced in size. I'm not 100% on the back and shoulder glyphs. It doesn't look right. The glyph that sits next to the back and shoulder glyphs are for the boot.

As soon as Matt S. gets this cast and mailed to me I'll post some pix. It might take a little bit of adjusting to get the SS Zaius Riding costume to look like it does in Beneath but it's nothing that can't be fixed with a lil' glue.

Those Beneath Glyphs are really coming along, Snick! I can't wait to see all of these new glyphs on a Sideshow Zaius!!! :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

And I'm intrigued by the mentioning of another Zaius sculpt... I'm interesting in seeing some pics of said head. :D

That was back when the newsletter was all text and links.

I did talk to Mat Falls at great length at SDCC about the proposed 1/4 Ape line. I asked him how far did that line develop. He told me that the newsletter was WAY too premature in that announcement and that they were never sculpted. He really wanted the opportunity to sculpt them again in the bigger format. However he was pushing to have the heads sport rooted hair. That was the only way he wanted to do them. Sideshow was looking into ways of doing that when the 12" line stumbled (too many figures too soon) and the 1/4 was put on hold.

However, I've always wondered that there MUST have been some work done on them... maybe they didn't get to the sculpting stage but they MUST have been in some stage of the production pipeline... perhaps the development of what pose the statue might take.... :confused

Those Beneath Glyphs are really coming along, Snick! I can't wait to see all of these new glyphs on a Sideshow Zaius!!! :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

And I'm intrigued by the mentioning of another Zaius sculpt... I'm interesting in seeing some pics of said head. :D

PZ - Coolio! Thx! I'll post the Zaius head tomorrow. I had it sculpted by the guy who made the Ape-o-naut resin kit. I think it turned out really well but feel free to disagree.

Gee... I got the very same card. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

However, that was my only Ape related Valentine's gift. No new apes for me. :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

Also something strange about that Sideshow Newsletter announcement... no mention of our beloved Ape Enforcer (read Gorilla). How can you roll out a proper Ape line without a gorilla, I tell you? :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

It turned out to be simply a print omission on their part. :D

Also they mention that Nova was going to be available yet she wasn't released months later in that blasted two-pack. Apparently Sideshow was a bit apprehensive about releasing her all by herself. :rolleyes:

Back