Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are plenty of re-casts of the Don Post Planet of the Apes line of masks that can be purchased between $50 - $100. Original ones in good condition go for about $250 - $350.

The picture in my signature is of a set of near mint Don Post POTA masks that had a price tag of $1800! :thud: :thud: :thud:

And that Zira mask is VERY rare. Many people mistaken the Cornelius Mask for Zira since the sculpting looks a tad feminine :exactly: :exactly: :exactly:

Last edited:
Dear god I used to own the chimp version from that series. I remember I ended up throwing it away would you believe. :(

I have to say the Cornelius version was sort of okay, but didn't seem to have much detail in the sculpt, and the stick on teeth in my version was all warped, which didn't help matters, to say nothing of the matted hair.

I'm amazed they still go for such high prices really.

Wow. Those masks are expen$ive!! I guess anything 1:1 scale is expensive, as far as mask making...unless you go woochie but those are horrid.

If they can make this....what's to stop me from making my ape nativity scene? Is nothing sacred anymore? LOL!! Anyway...I'm going to try working on one of the 3 wise orangutan's outfits today....also Mathilda's shoes...

ducks.jpg

Dr. Galen should be next, if I can find a human headsculpt that looks mean...or whatever ape I feel the human headsculpt could be. It depends on the eyes I guess...

Last edited:
Here's Dr. Galen in progress, including the original headsculpt that it sits on. This sculpt is kind of hard because I am forcing his expression onto a static facial feature.

DSC07891.jpg

DSC07892.jpg

Last edited:
The sculpt is just behaving so very well!!

DSC07895.jpg
DSC07896.jpg

I think I want to try to resculpt Galen. I don't know...Not happy with how he turned out....

Last edited:
I am in the middle of resculpting TV Galen. Hate the way the other one came out...Maybe this one will be better. I am going to take a hammer to the other one I baked previously. His muzzle came out too large...

DSC07897.jpg

DSC07898.jpg

DSC07901.jpg

DSC07903.jpg

Last edited:
Golly...my Galen is baking right now. So excited! He's a right handsome fellow...

And I tweaked Dr. Galen a little bit...

Going to try and sculpt Fauna tonight...but tomorrow is going to be dedicated to painting.

I saw a photo of my Cornelius...and it looks like I should try to resculpt him...

Here they are after being cured:
DSC07904.jpg

DSC07905.jpg

DSC07906.jpg

Last edited:
Back