Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SS Zira came today.
ceacd0ec.jpg

29ce6ecd.jpg

The young chimp is still a work in progress, but thanks a lot Ironman for your help and suggestions! Also I'm going to give that newborn chimp a better blanket...one that sort of hangs over while he's being held.

On a related note - Who's selling the HT Ursus the cheapest these days?

Last edited:
Looking good.
I would darken the skin area of the chimp a bit and maybe see about some Mego chimp feet instead of the boots.

HT Ursus? Thats a crapshoot. Best bet is to keep hitting up the for sale [or maybe the wanted] sections here or take a chance and be patient waiting on ebay.

Looking good.
I would darken the skin area of the chimp a bit and maybe see about some Mego chimp feet instead of the boots.
Thanks! Yeah I was actually thinking about darkening up the skin tone, especially around the eyes.

The problem I ran into was that the boots on the Star Trek figure are apart of the body itself and can't be removed. They were black so I gave them a quick paint job. I'm not sure if I could fit another shoe OVER it (or could I?). I was thinking of obtaining an extra pair of sideshow chimp shoes so that it would have the feet indentations, but not sure if they'd look too big. I'm also considering sculping some hair on his head to make him closer resemble a POTA style chimp...but that's major unfamiliar territory for me...lol

HT Ursus? Thats a crapshoot. Best bet is to keep hitting up the for sale [or maybe the wanted] sections here or take a chance and be patient waiting on ebay.
The cheapest I've seen was $220 on eBay, but I haven't seen one listed in that price range since.

As you've done a fine job so far, you may want to search out a loose Mego chimp body. There was also one of the Mego sites that made custom POTA feet if I recall correctly.

Is the Mego Ape body a lot different than what I have, or do you mean because of the shoe issue? I'll see if I can find the custom mego ape feet somewhere. Thanks.

Ah, okay... I tracked a guy down on Mego Museum that sold the custom chimp shoes (YANOULI was his username), so I tossed him an inbox about buying a pair. Next order of business -sculpting hair!

So I tried my hand in sculpting tonight. It was an...interesting experience... but I really wanted to give my young chimp a POTA style hair do. I used some Bobby Porter pictures for reference. I sculpted it, and gave him a new paintjob. First timer, so be gentle...lol

75eadb46.jpg

e5d734f4.jpg

66eb171e.jpg

0e404810.jpg

92ce7d05.jpg

I watched Battle For the Planet of the Apes last night and noticed how young Cornelius was dressed, so I ordered some Mego clothes that I'm going to customize to make look like what the child chimps wore (I.E. the classroom scene). I even got some that look like his PJs from the Aldo tree branch cutting scene.

Finally completed these figures to be 100%! I added black hair on the gorillas hands, put some hand sewn yellow socks and painted the orangutan shoes yellow. Added a couple Black M-16 A1 Rifles. These crazy apes are now on ebay! :wave

Michael--you can probably just buy the smallest jar of Apoxie and sculpt the ape toes over those boots. It would just make the clothes impossible to remove later down the road...but you'd have a new pair of chimp boots that way...and I don't know if there's anybody else here that likes to remove the clothes off their action figures like I do. Cough cough...tmi...cough cough...

The young chimp looks better with that new sculpted hair.

LOL!

Hey does anyone know the history of these masks? Are they real? I found them on myprops.com, and it says they are original 1968 gorilla masks..and I've never seen them before....

Planet-of-the-Apes-1968-movie-props.jpg
Gorilla-Apes-Mask-Master-Head.jpg

I resculpted his hair again, filed down his goofy elongated muzzle and resculpted it( pretty happy with how that came out), resculpted the eyebrowes and filed down some grooves around his face that made him look old (he still isnt perfect in that regard...i may try to smooth it out some more) and gave him another new paint job. I'm getting closer to the sideshow chimp skin tone...I just needed to mix some pink acrylic in with the tans, browns and whites. I used Cornelius Jr. pictures from "Battle" as reference (the classroom scene mainly). I used fabric paint on some Mego clothes I ordered and pieces of a chopped up Hasbro Dr Zaius jacket glyph for the leather strips. I don't know if it's because the scene was in broad daylight, but Bobby Porters wig looked a lot more brown to me than black, but I used black anyway so that he would be in sync with the other chimps. Should I give it a more brown tint?

Awesome idea Jessica. I do have Cornelius' PJs that I was going to use to make the camp fire/Aldo plotting to kill Ceasar scene, but I suppose it wouldn't be a big deal if he wore the regular chimp child clothes. The way I glued the strips onto the outfit would make it difficult to remove anyway, so I'll likely keep it on. I'll try sculpting over the feet, or I could sculpt over a pair of mego shoes and file down the existing shoes until they fit over it...
I've been working with sculpey III only because it's cheap and easily attainable at Jo Ann Fabrics, but like Steve Strange warned me, it can be a bit brittle. I may use apoxie on my next project.

I'll post a pic of my child chimp so far later today.

Still need to sculp the shoes and maybe some more touching up later, but here's my first ever custom ape... Cornelius Jr.

0.jpg

chimps_B_Porter.jpg

5115b7a5.jpg

00889ab2.jpg

8489500e.jpg

9e45cf19.jpg

He doesn't photograph so well. Looks much better in person. The left top eye lid looks funny. The nose is hard to sculpt! I may redo it, but it's okay (I guess) for now. I may go for a different shade of green for the top.

I put Hasbro Attar under the knife to make him into a "classic" POTA gorilla...

8591fa68.jpg

03b3b1c8.jpg

I was surprised to discover that his head was hollow. It made mounting a bit challenging as I had to cut out some dried clay inside of his head that collapsed inside of his head, through the hole, so that it would mount. I rehaired and repainted, and mounted him on a soldier.

182200c9.jpg

f0dea807.jpg

c7a9be75.jpg

7b8ba146.jpg

9a4897cb.jpg

6eb99cc2.jpg

The Attar figure had an awkwardly long neck, so I built up a mane to cover it.

Back