Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So your saying that HT uses decals on their figures faces? Never heard that before.
Seems strange to me. I am looking at my Joker and it certainly doesnt look like a decal.

Have a look at some of the really close macro pics that have been posted of it and you can see the "dot matrix" in the texture.
It's not as clear to the naked eye.

Have a look at some of the really close macro pics that have been posted of it and you can see the "dot matrix" in the texture.
It's not as clear to the naked eye.

Wow. Do you have examples? I am just curious because in all the years of collecting these I have never heard of this. I cant find any seams where the decal wraps would end. Very odd.

There are pics somewhere in the DX Joker thread were you can see this clearly.

They were from Elljay. You can see it really good here.

8363940604_893c636531_b.jpg

Holy cow.

Certainly this is cant be the case on most HT figures? I would assume Joker due to the mostly white face. I see it in that photo for sure, but is this a practice for all HT figures in some sense, or a one off?

Either way it still kicks the crud out of SS 1/6 human figure releases!

Nope, it's typical... just these are so small that in person you'd never notice it.

As for the PERS heads, those eyes are different in how they are made, but any non PERS the eyes are a decal and a lot of the paint details are stencils or templates that are sprayed over. I believe I saw an example of this when EB was showing progress on their Godfather figures.

A lot of high-end items use these kind of techniques to get more precise and uniform looks.

Nope, it's typical... just these are so small that in person you'd never notice it.

As for the PERS heads, those eyes are different in how they are made, but any non PERS the eyes are a decal and a lot of the paint details are stencils or templates that are sprayed over. I believe I saw an example of this when EB was showing progress on their Godfather figures.

A lot of high-end items use these kind of techniques to get more precise and uniform looks.

Wow great info! I never knew that. Either way they are still awesome and beat sideshow by miles! I just dont get it.........................why cant sideshow nail human likeness? With all the personel and the same factories used by most of the other companies, they always fall short on their 1/6 humans.

Sideshow's sculpts are as good or better than anyone else, but when you don't paint them as well it's hard to tell.

I'm often floored by how great a sculpt from Trevor looks, but then when you get the figure it looks good... but not spot on. I wish they could get it together and give Trevor's sculptural work the paint work it deserves.

I hear what your saying.

I agree that some of the sculpts look great, no doubt.

The problem is that Sideshow drops the ball from prototype to final product on a consistent of enough basis that the issue is not a one off. Its chronic. I love their other releases (PF's, Maquettes, and other 1/6 aliens etc). Their human figures are not progressing with the industry standards.

When smaller companies are able to put out the same volume of characters, yet have a much better end result that tells me that SS has a QC problem that is glaring.

Dont get me wrong I am not trying to bash SS, like I said I love most of their other offerings, its just with characters like this Han Solo the expectation is high, the price is high, the final product should meet both the demand and price point.

JMO>

We're in agreement... if it was once or twice, but it's a pretty much every release that something is jacked and yes usually the humans are just not as good. It has improved, but still not to the point were I'm not worried about each release and what fresh hell we'll be treated too :lol

For sure, HT came a LONG way with bodies since then. Those things flop around like a a fish out of water.

Who knows what the popular choice for body swaps were with those? I have two that I always wanted to upgrade but never got around to it

Probably clone bodies. Something makes me think some kind of True Type worked too.

I remember hearing that a while back too and I want to say that people were using a Narrow? Maybe?

Good suggestion on the Clone bod. I don't collect Clones. Anyone know how the size up in comparison to the old Stormie?

Back