Sideshow Storm Shadow!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that. Real American Heroes are the only real Joes anymore. The vintage line probably only sells a few thousand figures and year compaired to the millions of Real American Heroes Joes.

hmm..no....there is wayyyyyyyy more adult collectors that collect 12'' joes from the 60's and 70's.Gi joe is more than just ARAH...Theres actually way more 1/6 Vintage Joe conventions a year than any other toy collectible except maybe for SW.

Its a well known fact most GI Joe collectors are actuallly Cobra collectors. Cobras sell just so much better than the Joes, especially with army builders.
The army builders is the only reason why Cobras sell so much better. Sure, Firefly, Stormie and Zartan are as popular as any Joes, but there are many more "core" Joe than Cobra characters. The cartoons and comics (at least the ones that I read) never focused much on "greenshirts," so nobody cares to collect them. So, I wouldn't use sales to suggest that Cobra is more popular necessarily.

As for the 12 inchers, there are a lot of nostalgic collectors, but when new versions are released, they don't seem to sell nearly as well as the 25th anniversary Joes have, for what that's worth.

I doubt that. Real American Heroes are the only real Joes anymore. The vintage line probably only sells a few thousand figures and year compaired to the millions of Real American Heroes Joes.

actually.... no.

walmart just did several runs of vintage repros...

as well as the repros made by the collectors club and the ones sold at urban outfitters and hot topic...

cotswold collectibles has specialized in repro and original vintage Joes for many years...

the vintage collectors are incredibly active in local offline groups as well as online forums like the Trenches...

if you factor in fans of the later non RAH hasbro 12" joes i believe you hugely outnumber the tiny joe folks...

actually.... no.

walmart just did several runs of vintage repros...
That all went on clearance where I live. And even if there are more 12 inch collectors than 3 3/4" ones (which I doubt nowadays, given the 25th Anniversary revival and crazy popular sites like Hisstank), he was talking about sales. If the classic 12 inchers are selling so well, then why aren't they at Wal-Mart, TRU, etc. right now? The new, crappy 12 inch versions (with shooting missiles, etc.) peg-warm everywhere.

In mainstream stores, absolutely. But it's really not fair to compare the sale of Walmart's $5 3 3/4" figures (which of late are pegwarmers) to the $300 vintage astronaut who's MIB and AFA rated sold at a con. There are literally THOUSANDS of little 1:6 scale "conventions" throughout the states every year. There are bigger ones like the Joe Show in Texas and smaller ones in SoCal, like A Weekend of Heroes and then the little "local crowd" ones like the one coming up in Sacramento, CA in a couple of weeks. The fact that these haven't died down and even the little ones do extremely well tells me there's still a huge market for the vintage pieces. Many of the retailers at these cons, big and/or little don't even have websites, so they make their $$$ through the cons.

ALOT of casual collectors like to simply army-build Cobra soldiers simply becuase they look very very cool all set up in formation. And i mean ALOT of people like to do this. I think sideshow is capitalizing a little bit on this by bringing us cobra troopers as fast as they are. Also, a Trooper, Troop, Commander display looks very very cool , and how many years did they get hounded for not relaeasing Vader Stormie Stormie?

The line is still new, the first figure is just now starting to show up in people's hands. considering that the first figure has not even shown up everywhere, and wea already have 4, possibly 5 announcements already? that's fantastic.

Look at the Indy line, or how slow the star wars line was when it started. Anyone know how long it was between the announcement of Jedi Luke and the next 5 figures?

I've got a hunch this line will be around for a while, and it's going to be just fine.
Could we use more Joes? Sure, but so many people LLOVE this property, that they really allmost cannot go wrong no matter WHO the choose to release right now. yes, some people will whine and say " but i wanted Blah blah" But if we just wait, I'm pretty sure this line will do far far better than, say Shaun of the dead.

And yes, I'll say they have learned from past mistakes with other lines,such as Lord of the rings. if any 1 think killed the LOTR line, it's not character choice, it's not faramir, it's not the lack of badguys. it's that the customer base lost intrest. and why? i think the fact that it was usualy a year or more between announcements of new figures likely had something to do with that.

hmm..no....there is wayyyyyyyy more adult collectors that collect 12'' joes from the 60's and 70's.Gi joe is more than just ARAH...Theres actually way more 1/6 Vintage Joe conventions a year than any other toy collectible except maybe for SW.

Let us not forget that ARAH has been going solid for 25 years, while the vintage style 12" are sold only a few times each year and had a massive 15 year absence on the store shelves. Therefore ARAH has been able to grow its fan base, and what with its price point and dynamic characters and story, has been able to move past the vintage line to be what is widely considered to be G.I. Joe.

Hollywood wouldn't be making an awful movie based on ARAH if the Vintage line were more popular... and Hasbro wouldn't spend so much time producing ARAH toys if it wasn't the bigger cash cow.

While there are a lot of Vintage Joe collectors out there, and they may have a firmer appreciation for the history of action figure collecting, they are without a doubt in the minority these days.

Let us not forget that ARAH has been going solid for 25 years, while the vintage style 12" are sold only a few times each year and had a massive 15 year absence on the store shelves. Therefore ARAH has been able to grow its fan base, and what with its price point and dynamic characters and story, has been able to move past the vintage line to be what is widely considered to be G.I. Joe.

While there are a lot of Vintage Joe collectors out there, and they may have a firmer appreciation for the history of action figure collecting, they are without a doubt in the minority these days.

See, I don't know about that. If you take Joe out of the equation and look at 1:6 military in general (especially during Hasbro's 12" absence), you'd have to take into account companies like 21st Century Toys, Dragon and the like who really stepped in to fill the 1:6 void during Hasbro's hiatus and equate the fact that picking up one 1:6 is the equivalent of four (and sometimes more) 3 3/4" figs. Then there's things like someone who buys a HT military figure at $150 (let alone the 1:6 Humvees, tanks, jeeps, etc). Cost-wise, how many 3 3/4" figures does that equate to? I'll bet it evens out in the end.

Additionally, there's the whole idea of collecting. Who collects? Individuals who purchase them to fill out the whole series listed on the cardbacks? Absolutely! The cherry picker who nabs the few he likes? Yup. The 5 year old terror whose parents buy him 5 figures to burn, break, destroy with his Tonka toys, feed to his dog, stick up his ass or lose at the beach? Debatable.

Last edited:

Hollywood wouldn't be making an awful movie based on ARAH if the Vintage line were more popular... and Hasbro wouldn't spend so much time producing ARAH toys if it wasn't the bigger cash cow.

Umm, the Real American Hero Line didn't go 25 years strong. Hasbro didn't produce figures in 1995 and some of 1996. Which leaves about a two year gap in the figure line. Not a really big lapse but not exactly strong either.

I'm not 100% on this, but during that time period, didn't they still market joe figures as direct to consumer toys?

During 95-96 they were still being produce but with the tacked on title of Sgt. Savage and then as G.I.Joe Extreme.

storm shadow makes sense to me. with snake coming out real soon and people probably deciding whether or not to keep him you announce that his arch rival is coming out.

if you get snake you might as well get storm. it makes bussiness sense to me.

Which is why I'm kind of glad I canceled SE because then I would have had to get a Storm Shadow.

The Sgt. Savage line was packaged as G.I.JOE A Real American Hero Sgt. Savage. They even included an animated pilot for the serries and featured Hawk, Doc, and Lady Jay.

But Savage was not part the the 3 3/4 inch line. Sgt. Savage was in a larger 5 inch scale, thus nobody considers that to be part of the 3 3/4 inch line of ARAH. GI JOE Extreme was in the six inch format also not part of the 3 3/4 inch line. Both lines didn't last very long (fortunately).

Different strokes for different folks mate

2702372178_a6362b3443.jpg

I remember seeing this guy at the Con. Best looking CC i've ever seen (only seen 2 though :lol).

This is how it should be. :rock

I remember seeing this guy at the Con. Best looking CC i've ever seen (only seen 2 though :lol).

This is how it should be. :rock

actually the proportions on his helmet and visor are a bit off... the helmet should be bigger in relation to the visor and the visor should be a bit narrower and smaller...

other than that he looks awesome!!!!

But Savage was not part the the 3 3/4 inch line. Sgt. Savage was in a larger 5 inch scale, thus nobody considers that to be part of the 3 3/4 inch line of ARAH. GI JOE Extreme was in the six inch format also not part of the 3 3/4 inch line. Both lines didn't last very long (fortunately).

That wasn't the point of the argument. The point was whether or not they'd stopped making ARAH figures. The Sgt. Savage line WAS a continuation of sorts of the ARAH line. The slogan "A Real American Hero" even appears on the Sgt. Savage packaging. So regardless of scale, it was still a continuation of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back