Star Trek: Discovery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped watching this when they did a groundhog day episode.

That is the most overused and unoriginal episode premise possible, and on top of that their take on it made no sense and was completely pointless.

The amount of plotholes was staggering.

Yeah the episode where they were trying to make enhanced Klingons after the whole incident with Lt. Data creator.... I kind of miss that show....

Me too. The first season was ok, but it got old in Season two. Season three was ahead of it's time, but I didn't like that it took a very optomistic (read: TNG) style show and flipped all the most optomistic characters into dark, depressed ones (read: DS9, specifically for Archer and Trip).

Season four TOTALLY redeemed it though. Small story arcs that filled in gaps, explored the gap in Trek history, and gave trekkies some love while also giving characters growth and creating great, current-events-commentary drama. Manny Coto and his team of new writers from the Trek books really knocked it out of the park that year. It's too bad they really had no shot on that dying network. I remember a lot of fans hoping CBS would pick it up, but they were too concerned with procedurals back then, and Netflix was still many years away. I fully believe if Enterprise had come out today it would still be on, streaming at least.

The easiest way they could have explained it was the "Klingon EMPIRE". Hundreds of planets. On the most favored the citizens are known as Klingons. On the rest they are "the conquered". The human looking Klingons fell out of favor and are no longer allowed to carry the name.

I didn't watch Enterprise, I was a bit Trekked out at the time - I really felt like it needed to take a break after Voyager and whatever I saw of early Enterprise didn't convince me otherwise. I also hated the main title song. Actually I don't like the Discovery main title music either...or the main theme from the reboot movies for that matter! Man, it's been quite a while since I liked any Star Trek music :lol

I didn't watch Enterprise, I was a bit Trekked out at the time - I really felt like it needed to take a break after Voyager and whatever I saw of early Enterprise didn't convince me otherwise. I also hated the main title song. Actually I don't like the Discovery main title music either...or the main theme from the reboot movies for that matter! Man, it's been quite a while since I liked any Star Trek music :lol

Well, Voyager sucked. What a wasted premise. The first season, where there was all that conflict between the Maquis and Starfleet was decent, though I think it could have gone further. The whole plot line (I believe in season two?) with the Kazon, Seska, the saboteur, and Suder was really great. Then they ended ALL of that in the first episode of the third season, and all of a sudden everyone was just one big happy generic crew, and unless you're a fan of how they neutered the Borg, essentially NOTHING happened the entire rest of the series. Can't believe they didn't put it out of it's misery earlier.

As far as the music, the actual Enterprise theme - which they used with the end credits - was pretty decent. Count me among those who didn't love but didn't despise that theme music, but it did get worse when they tried to up the tempo with season 3. The newer movies' theme is growing on me, but yeah, it's not a classic. Completely agree on Discovery's theme. It just kind of meanders about without going anywhere.

The whole opening credit sequence of Discovery including the theme reminds me of Westworld. It worked on WW, seems out of place on Star Trek

I only liked Voyager for a brief period - pretty much just season 4. Then it became apparent that the Borg and time travel were going to be the answer to everything.

The whole opening credit sequence of Discovery including the theme reminds me of Westworld. It worked on WW, seems out of place on Star Trek

I've thought the same. Very Westworld-like. With a short playing of the Alexander Courage theme randomly tacked on at the end like as though to say ''yeah, sorry, that was supposed to be a Star Trek theme''

The opening credits are somewhat saved by the visuals.

ST:D is more watchable than some of the other series, but I'll be shocked if there's a second season.

Well

Spoiler Spoiler:

Well

Spoiler Spoiler:

So true (spoiler comment in bold).

And FYI; Michelle's Yeoh's character is Captain Philippa Georgiou. I often forget/mispronounce her name too. :lol :D

This episode was one of the weakest for me...
You knew the "resurrection" was coming a mile away. Still, it was well played by everyone.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Interesting thoughts on the Battle of the Binary Stars and everything else. :duff

Ok, so I haven't watched this week's episode-finale, but I did just finish the Discovery tie-in book Drastic Measures that was released last week. For those who don't know, the new Discovery books are considered canon.

Anyway, the book was fairly standard Trek fandom stuff with nothing much of note, but I JUST HAD to post the AWESOME reveal in the last couple of paragraphs. I'm assuming most people won't read it, so I thought you guys might like to know that:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Regarding that:

Spoiler Spoiler:

I agree, but considering that

Spoiler Spoiler:

I watched it at the beginning. They do share some cool behind-the-scenes insights, but you can catch most of those on TrekMovie.com's writeups on Monday mornings. Personally, I stopped watching because I find the host very annoying. Reminds me of that annoying Bing Bong character from Inside Out, if you've seen it.

Back