Star Wars: Andor (September 21st, 2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting the blu too. My respect and appreciation for Andor is no secret around here.

And Tony Gilroy is a genius.

If I may, I'd like to reword this: he's an artist who has a lot of life experience (wisdom), understanding of the craft, and is in service of the story/script - not his own egotistical, personal revenge agenda, ignorance, like the rest the Lucasfilm children. Not sure if I really made my point strong enough here, but I'm sure you get the drift.

Oh yeah... and Tony Gilroy is a genius.

If I may, I'd like to reword this: he's an artist who has a lot of life experience (wisdom), understanding of the craft, and is in service of the story/script - not his own egotistical, personal revenge agenda, ignorance, like the rest the Lucasfilm children. Not sure if I really made my point strong enough here, but I'm sure you get the drift.

Oh yeah... and Tony Gilroy is a genius.
This

Andor was a good show. I hope one day they'll get to finish the story of Dedra and Syril. That was the most captivating thing about that show for me. Bad guys love story done right. Also the actress playing Bix was really easy on the eyes. ;)

Oh ...and just one more thing about Andor. It's a STAR WARS story that thus far has not had any Jedi in it at all. Imagine making a Jaws movie without a shark or a Back to the Future film with no time travel, yet have it be good. Thats been Andor so far. Great storytelling and pace, character development, come to think of it, there were barely any aliens in it. You can have all the lightsabers, all the Skywalkers, aliens and space battles, but it'll mean nothing without a good story.
Agree Andor was about story and character first, and the easy gimmicks toy merchandising last. And it's stronger for it.
Thing is, the original movie was not full of Jedi. Obiwan was there for a short time but the main thrust of the story was the rebels in their desperate conflict with the Empire.

Apart from Mos Eisley there weren't many aliens either, and only 2 droids we saw a lot of.

Andor is closer to the OT in that way than most folk realise. Aliens were few but they were there, same with droids, though I think that was more down to keeping budget in check and not about snubbing non humans. RO had plenty alien and droid representation as it was movie budget. Meanwhile Andor, while relatively high budget, was still made on a much smaller per episode TV budget so swaths of aliens and droids were not going to happen, especially since they weren't necessary to tell the story.
Apart from Mos Eisley there weren't many aliens either, and only 2 droids we saw a lot of.
You can't just ignore Chewie being a huge part of it. Though someone like him used sparingly might not have been bad in the right context.
While agree Andor did not need more aliens to tell its story. It's not what Gilroy was focused on, which was more a character drama, and that's what I appreciate it for. No complaints from me.
. Yet to pull in those who felt it didn't feel enough like SW, maybe like having B2 which should count as a strong droid presence (not sure why he's being discounted here?), I do think having at least one recurring alien side character, would have been good.
8uac4d.jpg

I really liked the look and practical effect use of this guy. No, not for every scene, or tagging along with Andor, that would have been a distraction.
But maybe swapping one of the minor recurring human characters for something like him (maybe not as elaborate).
Either one of the Aldhani strike force, instead of them all being human.
Or swapping out someone like Brasso the loyal friend, big hearted working stiff, very few lines, but strong recurring presence, with an Alien might have been nice, and made a simple difference, to those viewers.
8uacq8.jpg

Though I'm glad just adding more aliens was not Gilroy's focus, and not necessary to his narrative. His is my favorite SW since the OT.

Last edited:
Empireonline: said:
"Whilst singing the praises of his experience working on Andor, Ruizpalacios paid tribute to the heavyweight actors he'd had chance to direct on the show, specifically naming “Stellan Skarsgård, Forest Whitaker, and Ben Mendelsohn” among them."
Oh wow! More Saw Guerrera (should see him spiral even further into his uneasy paranoia), and retroactively re-introducing Orson Krennic, always wished we had more of them in Rogue One.
Both characters, further developed under Gilroy's methodical story telling, should be fantastic.

Two seasons, plus the more seamlessly they tie them into R1, this is easily becoming my favorite SW content / quasi-Trilogy. (after the OT)

Last edited:
Excellent, Krennic is back!

At least we know with Gilroy they won't waste him on "gags" like answering where he got his white cape from.

Eager to see Krennic march into that stuffy Imperia Security Boardroom and start taking over.
Oh, c'mon... what about a good mom joke like they did to Hux in Ep8 - that was amazing writing...NOT!

Ep7 - gives a frightening Hilter type speech.
Ep8 - mom jokes and *****-slapped.

There's literally isn't a level of idiocy you could dream up that some "genius" at Lucasfilm wouldn't consider putting into SW these days.

The only saving grace here is Mr Gilroy.

Back