Star Wars: The Acolyte

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"A catastrophic drop off..."

sqtko.jpg

He easily pushed a dozen Jedi’s but couldn’t push a few bugs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, this show is THAT bad!

Could care less about the lesbian mom witches or the idiotic comments from
the creators who accuse their fans of being bad people.

The show is really bad even without any of that!

Last edited:
Any good kids media has stuff for adults to enjoy - adults are often the ones supervising their kids watching either at home or in the cinema.

Recent example; Puss in Boots The Last Wish. For kids it’s a fun action adventure movie with talking animals and fair tales. For adults it’s actually a pretty deep commentary on life, death and appreciating what you have - not taking anything and your loved ones for granted.

The best “kids” media all have a message that kids may not appreciate yet but will have the opportunity to appreciate later when they’re more grown.

I still love things like Shrek, Avatar The Last Airbender, etc. because of this
Exactly. It's called "the Bullwinkle Effect". The best "all-ages" media typically contains layers so that multiple generations can experience it through a lens appropriate to them. There is a ton of this in the prequels -a s way of an example. But then people tend to conflate all-ages material with kids material - they're not synonymous terms and they carry different creative strategies. Teletubbies is for kids. Star Wars is - in theory - for all-ages. So yeah, there's likely going to be a subtext about oppression or indoctrination or what have you. Kids will watch the fun robots and lightsaber fights. Adults will grasp the deeper meaning of the conflict - again, in theory.

Obviously not every creative endeavor strikes the perfect balance. When kids do notice the message overtly, it's usually a sign that the message is being over played.

I'm enjoying The Acolyte - though we really don't have an answer as to why things are happening as they are yet. I think a strong explanation will make The Acolyte stand out as one of the stronger live action Star Wars stories. A bad explanation and it will sit down at the bottom Time will tell.

Exactly. It's called "the Bullwinkle Effect". The best "all-ages" media typically contains layers so that multiple generations can experience it through a lens appropriate to them. There is a ton of this in the prequels -a s way of an example.

Personally I wouldn't cite the prequels as an example unless your point doesn't require that the adults enjoyed what they were watching but I thought it did.

The kids who grew up with the prequels loved them and love them today. The people who were already adults when the PT came out - notsomuch. They found them a tonally confused mish-mash - a bizarre juxtaposition of kiddie content and what would be considered adult content, not very successfully blended.

Surely the Original trilogy is a better example of this Bullwinkle Effect. Truly everyone loved those when they came out. Yes, todays kids probably find them boring relatively speaking but certainly not the kids who saw them when they first came out or me who caught them on TV and VHS.

Personally I wouldn't cite the prequels as an example unless your point doesn't require that the adults enjoyed what they were watching but I thought it did.

The kids who grew up with the prequels loved them and love them today. The people who were already adults when the PT came out - notsomuch. They found them a tonally confused mish-mash - a bizarre juxtaposition of kiddie content and what would be considered adult content, not very successfully blended.

Surely the Original trilogy is a better example of this Bullwinkle Effect. Truly everyone loved those when they came out. Yes, today’s kids probably find them boring relatively speaking but certainly not the kids who saw them when they first came out or me who caught them on TV and VHS.
That depends on the kids. My son was 9 when TPM came out with the exception of Darth Maul and his duel with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan he wasn’t all that impressed, and I’m pretty sure he went to see the next two just to humor me. In retrospect, I wish he hadn’t lol.

The disappointment I felt in 1983 opening night ROTJ thankfully was alleviated due to the epic conclusion.

The disappointment I felt in 1999 opening night TPM just became greater and greater as the movie matched towards its cringe climax and not even the first ever fast lightsaber battle could save it.

You listen to that SW Theory Guy he would have you believe that TPM is a masterpiece.

I’m all for trashing the Acolyte but I don’t support selective trashing when bashing the Acolyte.

He literally trashes the Acolyte and then a second later talks about how the Gungin in TPM is quality Star Wars, lol

Last edited:
I do remember by the time ESB came out, a lot of kids at school already thought Star Wars was pretty dorky.
As I recall a little movie called The Matrix also came out in 1999 and on my son’s coolness scale TPM didn’t come anywhere close. Star Wars was pretty much an afterthought for him & his friends from that point on. He was breaching school firewalls in grammar school so it’s pretty clear which had a bigger influence on him lol.

Jedi don't have people, like "close to them" maaan. They like, don't have material attachments, dig? So, like...their fellow Jedi...they're just like.....rocks. Or branches on a tree or something man.

That's why they leave their mangled lifeless corpses behind on a strange desolate planet without even taking the time to bury them. Hell, forget burying them...I get it, time is of the essence. But you'd think maybe he'd try to at least put the beheaded heads next to the headless bodies, maybe cover them with a robe or a tarp or something.

Nah. Ice cold. The Jedi way.

Back