The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Delay on Release

stuff.co.nz

On movie website TheWrap.com, sources were quoted as saying the film's release date would be affected.

"Executives close to the project said that Warner Brothers is now likely to release the first film at the end of 2012, and not at the end of 2011 as had been hoped for by the fans.

"The second part would be pushed to 2013."

Jackson is writing The Hobbit, which will be released in two parts, with director Guillermo del Toro in Wellington.

Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

It's like this film will take forever to be made...it just feels like one of the most troubled productions ever what with all the behind the scenes crap over the rights right through to a now delayed release of 2012. I just hope from here on in, everything runs smoothly now and we get to see some action rather than words words words! Announce the cast already!!

Forget about the screenplay getting finished--I won't relax until we get news about MGM's financial situation. A bankrupt studio can't give a greenlight to a production as costly as this one...

PJ talks bluray & Hobbit -Vid Link - https://www.collider.com/2009/12/04...gs-blu-ray-and-says-the-hobbit-is-still-2011/

What is the status of the Blu-ray of Lord of the Rings?

Peter Jackson: Well, it keeps changing. I am not the best person to ask about that believe it or not as I am not in charge of the Blu-ray, Warner Home Video is. I believe it is scheduled for sometime next year. They keep changing the date…I don’t know why. I’ve seen the Blu-ray as they sent it to me to approve and I looked at the film and it looks fantastic on Blu-ray but I don’t know the date.

And it’s still being separated as the theatrical Blu-ray and then down the road a extended cut Blu-ray?

Jackson: I think so. Again, I’m not 100% certain actually, I could easily find out for you. I think they were just going to do the theatrical version first.

Do you know the two years you guys are aiming for with The Hobbit to come out.

Jackson: Nothing has changed as far as I am concerned. Somebody wrote something on the internet and a lot of nonsense happened. You don’t want to believe everything you read on the internet. We were due to deliver the scripts and be shooting sometime around April and now I think I said in an interview we were shooting in June. And somehow people are now saying the film is delayed. As far as I am aware, they are not delayed at all. I am not even sure when we are going to start shooting…we are delivering the scripts just after Christmas they’ll be finished and we’ll be shooting as soon as we possibly can. But you need a certain amount of time to finish the pre-production.

So you believe in December 2011 the first part is going to be in theaters.

Jackson: At this stage, that is certainly the plan. Yeah.

Last edited:

It looks like so far Hugo and Ian are returning for sure and possibly Cate. Blanchett is Galadriel and I could honestly not see anyone else playing her.

I think we'll see McKellen, Serkis, Blanchett and Weaving back, but i REALLY hope Christopher Lee will be in it too.

I think we'll see McKellen, Serkis, Blanchett and Weaving back, but i REALLY hope Christopher Lee will be in it too.

I agree with you 100%. Lee is vital but his age I think is the only thing in the way. If they could just accommodate him and do his scenes close to home that would be phenomenal, but we will just have to wait and see.

I agree with you 100%. Lee is vital but his age I think is the only thing in the way. If they could just accommodate him and do his scenes close to home that would be phenomenal, but we will just have to wait and see.

I thought I'd read a few pages back that they'd reached an agreement with Lee to shoot the scenes close to home? :confused:

That may be true but I'm too lazy to looks back.:lol

If that has been confirmed though, it would be most excellent news!

Lee said some time ago he won´t travel to NZ but he will be interested in the role if he could play in a place near home.

Lee said some time ago he won´t travel to NZ but he will be interested in the role if he could play in a place near home.

Actually, NVM. I couldn't find it anywhere. As it stands it looks like Saruman appropriately won't be featured in The Hobbit (wasn't in the book) but the verdict's still out on the gap film.

I think Lee is so old they'd have to film his scenes in his living room.
I still hold out hope he will feature in this. For film continuity more than anything. It'd be cool to see how Sauron corrupted him. Also to see other wizards like Radagast is the Rings equivalent of seeing multiple Jedi in the SW prequels.
The only principal characters we dont need to see are the young Hobbits (albeit we may see a young Frodo in the second film) Gimli, Legolas and Boromir. Again, a 'slightly' younger Aragorn may flash up in the sequel...

Actually, NVM. I couldn't find it anywhere. As it stands it looks like Saruman appropriately won't be featured in The Hobbit (wasn't in the book) but the verdict's still out on the gap film.

There won't be a gap film, it'll be told over 2 films and including the White Council in both films, so no Saruman wasn't in the book but he was head of the White Council at the time, so he COULD be featured in the Hobbit. All they'd need to do is build interior Rivendell or Orthanc scenes in a film studio in England, and fly over the other actors involved with the White Council (Elrond, Galadriel, and whoever else they'd add - Glorfindel??!!), so it's entirely possible as they could film those interior scenes in England before or after the main filming in New Zealand.

Back