THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD by Distinctive Dummies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Mirakle32

Super Freak
Reaction score
From their latest newsletter:
Hello collectors
Distinctive Dummies is proud to announce its first figure in the Sci
Fi Collection. The Thing From Another World.
Expertly sculpted by Chris Elizardo and complete with color window box
the figure is available for pre-order with the first shipment hitting
the air on or before July 12th. I still have to update the website but
feel free to contact me in the meantime. Cost is $95.00.

Good news for Hammer fans. A Zombie plague will be heading your way
before the end of the month. Trust me, it is a beautiful piece.

Thanks for all your constant support

--
Martin Cage
https://www.distinctivedummies.com

Thing2.jpg
Thing1.jpg

Thing6.jpg
Thing5.jpg

This is a nice tribute to the late James Arness, in his most iconic role in the sci-fi genre.

I got excited when I read the thread title... and then I saw the pics. :monkey4

I wouldn't give you 95 cents for that.

Nice idea, poor execution.

The suit seems far too light in color, and shouldn't his skin be more orange in shade...? ("An intellectual carrot. The mind boggles.")

The suit seems far too light in color, and shouldn't his skin be more orange in shade...? ("An intellectual carrot. The mind boggles.")

I don't know, wasn't the movie in black and white???

What! 95 $ for that crap ?! This is terrible!

You know some of you folk should think more before you come in with your wonderful comments slating peoles work. You don't like it, so what. That doesn't give you the right to put down the hard work of somebody else. Distinctive Dummies figures are intentionally made to bring back the feeling of the classic 70"s and 80's style figures and to appeal to the more mature collector who wants to bring back memories of the figures he wanted as a child. Sideshow or Hot Toys they are not but DD keep putting out a figure a month so they must be doing something right

Absolutely love the movie, so I'd love to have a Thing. And I absolutely support the idea of a 12" figure/toy type vibe. 12" figures are toys! Not really to play with, but still.
Not everything needs to be perfect, and in fact, sometimes I think that HT figures are too perfect.
But $95 for this figures seems a bit steep IMO. I guess the manufacturer doesn't have much choice in regards of price point?
A pity, If it where less expensive I might have bought it.

Absolutely love the movie, so I'd love to have a Thing. And I absolutely support the idea of a 12" figure/toy type vibe. 12" figures are toys! Not really to play with, but still.
Not everything needs to be perfect, and in fact, sometimes I think that HT figures are too perfect.
But $95 for this figures seems a bit steep IMO. I guess the manufacturer doesn't have much choice in regards of price point?
A pity, If it where less expensive I might have bought it.

The $95.00 does include shipping to anywhere in the world

It's true that the movie was in black and white, but I'd never imagined The Thing to be dark green. Although I think the carrot remark was more a reference to the organic nature of the Thing rather than an indication on the color of its skin, I also have the impression that the skin tone should be lighter.
I know, that's a matter of perception, at least I think it is, unless the skin color is documented somewhere in the movies archieves?

The $95.00 does include shipping to anywhere in the world
Yes, that is a just remark. The world wide shipping sure is brilliant, and I wish more companies would do it. I had noticed it, but somehow, I faded it out.

I can't really comment on the quality if the figure, since I don't have it in hand, but the cloths don't really convice me. I think with a rather not so complicated figure, that is a really important part.

Anyway, I don't want to bash the figure. I think it is great that someone actually made it!

Looks cool... but the quality is not quite up to what I would want in my collection. I actually bought a custom version from Spenser a couple years ago. Sadly I don't have any images of just him, but you can see him on display here:

ggj.jpg

Cool... the display is a bit different now though. I removed Buck and added the 2 Mars Attacks figures... just remembered I had this newer shot:

l-1.jpg

Yeah, that Thing looks good!

I guess I'd rather see an orange figure than the bright green currently being offered. Green is such a cliche for a man from outer space.

Yeah, that Thing looks good!

I guess I'd rather see an orange figure than the bright green currently being offered. Green is such a cliche for a man from outer space.

Sorry my Thing disappoints so much, maybe the B&W version will be more to your liking.

No need to apologize; I think it's cool you're giving it a shot. If it makes any difference, I think your Hammer Curse of Frankenstein creature looks pretty damned good.

For fans not too keen on the retro poster colors of the original figure, Distinctive Dummies will also be offering a Silver Screen Edition of sorts, keeping true to the monochrome look of the original character:

BWTHINGUSE2.jpg

BWTHINGUSE1.jpg

BWTHINGUSE3.jpg

Back