Trevor Grove's Firefly Sculpts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Trevor's Firefly Sculpts

I hope I did that right.

Trevor, I sent you a PM.

Sorry for the post padding.

jon

BuffyGirl, That Inara looks awesome. Would like to see a full shot of her. A while back, someone posted that they thought the Oriental Mary Jane outfit from Spiderman might look good. I thought the same thing, did that ever get put together?

Jon

Hey Jon. :D You can always Multi post if you'd like to respond to a bunch of us here in one post.

Thank you very much. I have a full shot of her. I pulled up her dress a bit to showcase the shoes that I used. It's on page 66, or 100000000 if you don't have your pages set as high as some of us do. So it will take some scrolling.

I think it would benefit all if we could separate the Firefly customs according to every character and creating a separate thread for each. As it stands right now, this thread has gotten really big and it's very difficult to find all the needed info without having to spend several hours reading the entire thread. So in short, lets ask the mods to create a custom thread for every Firefly/Serenity member. Perhaps this way, more people will become interested in these customs. :)

we don't need mods to do that, just someone who has the time and wants to go through all this and separate it.

Cadaver, thanks for those links. Got a PM back from Trevor and I can't believe this is going to happen. You guys are going to hate me with all the questions by the time this is done.

So, sit down and strap in, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Mal's build needs:
1. Painter-love all the work i've seen done, so really just looking for someone open to take a commission. No rush though. Not worried about time frame. If you have painted these in the past and are looking for work, let me know.

2. Mal's body-I think most have gone with the narrow shoulders TT, #TTM-14. I hope I said that right. But I think I would like my Mal to be a little bigger. What is the regular # and will I have any problems with clothes fitting it? Also, is ebay the best place to buy these from?

3. Mal's rig-I've seen suggestions on the length vary, but have already ordered the replacement belt from ebay. (thx Cadaver) So, my length shouldn't matter now correct? I probably will order the full rig anyway, so was 8" too long? Just need some advice and don't even have a body to measure where I'd like it to hang.

4. Mal's coat-need
5. Mal's shirt-need
6. Mal's pants-need
7. Mal's boots-need-saw several suggestions, but you guys seem to keep updating them. :)
8. Mal's gloves-need-not sure what HT Joker is, if they are hands or actual gloves.
9. Mal's suspenders-need

Please any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry to be so needy, but I have never done anything like this, so I have no idea what I'm doing.
Thank you all in advance.
Jon

4. Mal's coat- Chad, or Cadaver if he's willing?
5. Mal's shirt- Hot Toys Wolverine
6. Mal's pants- Sideshow Indiana Jones in German Disguise (stripes added)
7. Mal's boots- Trevor's sculpt are the most accurate (they'll need to be painted), but Newline Japanese Officer boots look fantastic as well
8. Mal's gloves-need- The hands, sculpted as gloves, are from any one of the Hot Toys Joker offerings (need to be repainted brown)
9. Mal's suspenders- I got mine from a site called Battlegeartoys, but I recolored them, so they're not stock

Hope that helps a bit! Some parts can be tough to track down now, but that is my exact recipe. :)

1. I would head over to the customs section and take a look at some of the painters in there. There are many to choose from so I would browse and see who you like the most and who has the time

2. I went with a Narrow, but if you are doing a one off Mal and not the rest of the crew, I would go with a standard true type. even a TT advanced would work. I don't think clothing would be a problem as they are not much bigger then a standard TT

3. If you are using the replacement belt it doesn't matter. 8" is probably a bit long but it doesn't matter

4. your best bet is Chad but I am not sure he is making any more.

5. lots of us used a Hot toys wolverine shirt with buttons added to it. any shirt will really do. depends if you want the pilot look or a different episode.

6. Indy in german disguise has nice pants but they are hard to come by now. I would just browse around till you find a pair you like. I haven't seen any fully accurate ones but the Indy pants come close.

7. I would go with Trevors boots if they are still available. They are accurate and look amazing painted. other options are newline japanese officer boots or loading toys(I think) explorer boots.

8. HT joker is hot toys Joker from the dark knight. they are pretty close to what he wears. all they need is a coat of dark brown paint.

9.what Marf said above.

guess i took to long to type. you beat me to the punch Marf! I would take his advice though Jon. Marfs is the best Mal around.

Just thought I'd add some reference material I have found recently, don't think I saw this posted before. Here is pretty good look at the weapons of the crew and what real guns were moded to create them

https://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Serenity

and here is a great 1/6 version of Zoe's Winchester Mare's Leg, thought it's part of a figure and I haven't seen it parted out yet. It looks a fair bit more detailed than Stevo's rig.

https://www.triadtoys.com/Licenses/Wanted%3A+Dead+or+Alive/JOSH+RANDAL+12+INCH+FIGURE.html

I decided to go ahead and order it, I figure I can use the body for one of the crew and of course the rig for Zoe and then part out the head and clothes on eBay and hopefully I will come out ahead. Considering the cost of Stevo's rig and what a body goes for I may already be ahead :)

I also found Greggo's great tutorial on painting head sculpts. I used to paint models airplanes and tiny figures in my youth. Not the same but I figure I have a few spare TT heads laying around so why not practice a bit and see if I can paint these myself. If all else fails I can always pay someone else.

https://greggocustoms.blogspot.com/2011/01/greggos-painting-tutorial.html

Also I noticed a while back people considering Triad Toys Eva body for River. I have one in hand for a bash I put together of RE Alice. I don't have a ton of experience with the different bodies but I can try to answer any questions.

OK...I just finished Kaylee shirt number one finally...it is a more basic version. Will this work for anyone? It is shown on a TTL Small bust but it will also fit on a HT True Type female. I decided not to do a true shirt with a hem at the bottom. Instead, I did a leotard type top with a ultra thin velcro closure at the crotch. This will eliminate a lot of over stretching issues when dressing any body and just in case someone wants to do a variant outfit for her, there wont be a bunched up bottom hem.
I dont know if this matters to anyone...I just thought it made the fit much better.
57b368ef1240a01edf23f3472b1edab9b00274d7.jpg

I am finishing up a geometric version which will be a combination of this fabric but some of the hard geometric patterns as she has on her sleeves.
Those pics will be up shortly....Thanks everyone....

Chad
SMCG

Last edited:

OK..amidst some pressure to get this done..LOL. Here is the geometric version. The only real difference are the sleeve structure. Each sleeve is made up of three separate cutouts to make the total sleeve. you can see the details much better up close.
What do you think of this version?
db526bc1a7a39dacfff276df7d9521cd26df0346.jpg

Now keep in mind on both versions..there will be some differences. Because of the type of patterned fabric, I cut out each part of the pattern to get the best part of the fabric. This is especially tedious when it comes to doing the geometric one.
If you like the GEO version....I will balance out each geometric cutout color wise and with a touch of black to make it all pop.

Just wanted to let everyone know that NO two shirts will be alike.

Thanks again

Chad
SMCG

Chad sign me up for the geometric shirt!

Andrew

PS I emailed u earlier this past week to get on ur list for whatever you had left.

I should have pics posted of my model of Zoe's gun today and the first casting of Mal's should be done tonight.

Back