Venom: The Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Sony Eyeing Spider-Man Spinoff
Source: The Hollywood Reporter July 31, 2008

Sony is moving forward with Venom, a potential "Spider-Man" spinoff, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The trade says the studio is developing the project, based on the villain who appeared in Spider-Man 3 and is hoping the character could serve as an antidote to the aging "Spider-Man" franchise in the way that Fox has used Wolverine to add longevity to its "X-Men" franchise.

The studio had commissioned a draft of the script from Jacob Estes (Mean Creek), but the studio is considering going in a different direction from Estes' script and is seeking writers for a new draft.

Casting also is no simple matter. Topher Grace played the character in the film, but agents have been eyeing the role for their clients, as Sony is not yet convinced the actor can carry a tentpole picture.

The Hollywood Reporter adds that neither Sony nor Marvel would comment for the story.

Sony is also still developing a fourth "Spider-Man" film for 2011.

Wow, if Venom looks like he did in Spidey 3 then this will be aweful. But if they revamp everything and basically start from scratch and give us all the Venom we expected in Spidey 3, this could be awesome.

wouldn't this conflict with the new Marvel studios vision?

The Hollywood Reporter adds that neither Sony nor Marvel would comment for the story.

Sony is also still developing a fourth "Spider-Man" film for 2011.

or not

No because Sony already owns the rights to the Venom character. They can do whatever they want with what they already have they just can't have anymore.

this would make no sence since venom was essentially born are killed in the last spider-man movie. they would have to make somthing not tide to the spider-man 3 story

if they wanted to make a new venom movie it would have to be just that, someone new. Not skinny ass forman from that 70s. I thought that was a bad, very bad move but what ever. story line could go good if they placed it away from spiderman some how. It can be done but who knows how well

I agree. I think they need to cast another actor that is more bulky. Topher was too skinny to play that role. I thought Brock was supposed to be this MUSCLE BOUND MANIAC?? I just wasn't convinced with the performance from Topher. Granted he is a good actor for a comedy, but he doesn't play an intimidating role very well.... None the less, I'd be excited about this movie! :D

while I love the character Venom I have a bad feeling this might not work out too good...hope i'm wrong.

I like the venom Character... but no way can I imaging a whole movie of just him.... plus if it's anything like SM3 = a Big PASS.

I'm a huge Venom fan and I hated the character's portrayal in Spiderman 3. The cool aspect of his character lies in the fact that he is one of two villains to have knowledge of Spiderman's true identity and exploited this fact to an extreme. He knows all about Mary Jane, Aunt May, and Peter Parker, which adds to the degree of danger associated with Venom. I also like the fact that the symbiote copied Spiderman's powers to the point where they were improved and, upon merging with Eddie Brock, turned him into one of Spiderman's deadliest enemies. There is alot that could be done with this movie if a savvy writer could take creative liberties and a new actor was cast as Eddie Brock. Here's keeping my fingers crossed that Venom is given the silver screen treatment he always deserved.

I don't see the point of a Venom movie without Spidey.:confused:

I like the venom Character... but no way can I imaging a whole movie of just him.... plus if it's anything like SM3 = a Big PASS.

Take a read at Venom's mini series "Lethal Protector" it made Venom less of a villain and more of an anti-hero as if he was actually good just wanted Spider-Man dead as his fatal flaw. It was a decent read and I guarantee you will be the source material for this.

venom was and still is one of my favorite marvel characters, next to wolverine. hopefully the story line does the character justice.

if this goes any further than just talks, i predict a mad scramble for any venom 1:1 busts out there that haven't found a permanant home. maybe this will convince sideshow to finally produce a venom comiquette :banana

Last edited:
Howie Long??? Might as well just bring Chuck Norris out of retirment too!
Howie Long, lmao :signs off:

I think Clive Owen could do a good job. But we're talking "Anti-hero"/Hero Venom. Can we just redo SM3?

Back