What comic are you reading?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was young my dad didn't want me reading comics so the few I could get were GI Joe, Punisher, Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Uncanny X-Men. I mostly couldn't follow the stories completely because of the few singles I'd get. When I could buy comics on my own in the 90's, it was mostly X-Men with all the other X books, Excalibur, Wildstorm books like Wildcats, Robinson's run on Starman, Marvels, Kingdom Come, Green Lantern, Preacher, Watchmen, TDKR, Miller's 300, and the Authority. Just before I quit buying comics because of money and low quality in the aughts, the few I liked were America's Best series, Charest's Wildcats, Ennis' Punisher, The Ultimates, and the X-Men. Recently, I've been just going for well received affordable trades, Green Lantern Rebirth, Ennis' Hellblazer, Miller's Daredevil (I really hope they reprint Miller's Daredevil Vol. 2), Miller's Ronin, Thomas, O'Neil, and Claremont X-Books, and finally, some Batman stories I've been wanting to read.
That's so cool. You have such a wide net of interests. I read mainly DC but since joining here I'm going to branch out a little (Planetary, some Wildstorm stuff). We are a lot alike in a different way. Most of what we'll read is new to us! It's like being a kid again.

Do you have a list of stuff you'd like to read? It's just I have stuff I don't read that often or have duplicates of (e.g. the Man who Laughs, Killing Joke, Hush, Kyle Rayner Compendium and a lot more). You can have them if you want.

I doubt strongly that there will ever be a greater writer of comics than Alan Moore. Beyond the classic swamp thing, miracleman, watchmen, v, killing joke, whatever happened to the man of tomorrow stuff, much of his 90s and 2000s stuff was also great.

Supreme in particular. His take on classic Superman done without the cynicism and darkness of a lot of his stuff from the 80s.
Do you think there's a consensus (or even the semblance of one) for Alan Moore as comics greatest writer? I've read Watchmen, Killing Joke and V (at least). And, I don't know. While undeniably great I don't know if I'd put him as my GOAT (or even where/if in my top 10).

What other authors would you consider for a top 5/10?

Do you think there's a consensus (or even the semblance of one) for Alan Moore as comics greatest writer? I've read Watchmen, Killing Joke and V (at least). And, I don't know. While undeniably great I don't know if I'd put him as my GOAT (or even where/if in my top 10).

What other authors would you consider for a top 5/10?
I've not read new comics much for a long time, and I'm not a big part of the comic Fandom community, but from what I know I would say that the general consensus is that he is the greatest true writer in comics. The level of depth, complexity of thought, and insight into the human condition behind his work is unusual in comics. I would compare him more to a great novelist in this way than anything else. It just happens that his chosen medium was comic books.

His books aren't always the most fun, and I love other writers who are also great in their way, but those others just aren't on Moore's level in the sense of what I mentioned before, and certainly in terms of his originality and influence. There is a reason so many of his books are turned into movies though they typically suck as films.

Neil Gaiman is cut from a similar cloth but largely followed in Moore's shoes taking control of miracleman and swamp thing after moore, which directly led to Sandman. Other UK based guys like Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, and Mark Millar tried to elevate the medium in their own way and succeeded at some level.

Other guys I personally am a big fan of are Claremont, J. M. DeMatteis, Keith Giffen, Marv Wolfman, earlier Frank Miller, Walt Simonson, Byrne in the 80s, and Stan Lee of course.

I've always toyed with starting Sin City but I'm a little scared. It seems so dark and pessimistic. What do you think is his masterwork? I'll check your threads

I've seen planetary here and there (Amazon recommendations mostly) but I've never heard much about it. Any videos on YT or friends - nothing. It's really that good? I'll give it a look.

Have you ever seen any of Tony Harris' work?

Sic City is awesome. It's just Frank's love letter to hard-boiled pulp crime stories. He was tired of super heroes so he did something totally different, and it really struck a chord in the early 90s with readers who were looking for something different. It can be a bit cheesy with the dialogue, but that's just part of the genre. I thought it worked great on the written page, but sounded fairly ridiculous being spoken aloud in the movies.

Everyone seems to agree that the first story is the best, but my personal favorite is "A Dame To Kill For." Start with the first Sin City, (later re-titled to "The Hard Good-bye" ) and see what you think.

I think "Dark Knight" is always gonna be considered Frank's masterpiece. I definitely feel it's the best combination of his stories and art. Artwork alone, Elektra Lives Again is hands down the most beautiful thing he's ever created. Unfortunately, the story is a bit weak.

Script-wise, Daredevil: Born Again is by far Frank's finest hour. He basically ruined super-hero comics after that. Nothing will ever top it.

As for Planetary, YES, it is that good!! It's just brilliant and the art by Cassaday is magnificent. The colors too. They just don't make books like this any more.

Tony Harris...yeah, I've seen his stuff but it didn't really impress me. Not one of my favorites.

Now I'm just gonna make a giant list of all my favorite books/storylines in case you're looking for something new that you haven't checked out yet:

AKIRA
Frank Miller (Daredevil, Dark Knight, Year One, 300, Sin City, Ronin)
Animal Man by Grant Morrison
GI Joe by Larry Hama
The 'Nam (issues drawn by Michael Golden)
Lone Wolf and Cub
Miracleman by Alan Moore (I also like Neil Gaiman's first arc)
Optic Nerve by Adrian Tomine
Planetary
Preacher
Saga by Brian K Vaughn was good for the first third or so
Sandman
Yoshihiro Tatsumi's books
The Invisibles by Gran Morrison
New X-Men by Grant Morrison
Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men by Mark Millar
Wolverine by Larry Hama
Wolverine: Enemy of the State/Agent of SHIELD
Y: The Last Man

And of course stuff like Watchmen, Killing Joke, etc.

The other one people always raved about in the 80s/90s was Maus. I read it. Thought it was just OK.

I liked Eisner's "A Contract With God" much better.

Good call on Larry Hama. His Joe comics are wonderful, and completely distinct from the cartoon. Every few years I reread the first 50 issues or so and inevitably find myself surprised at their being better than I even remembered somehow.

Another great frank Miller scripting job is batman year one. Mazzucchelli, who also collaborated on born again does tremendous art for it as well. And another great work from him as an artist is the wolverine limited series, which is really the foundation for much of what we think about Logan.

Maus isn't meant to be a pleasant experience, and I haven't revisited it in 30 years or so. But it's hard not to appreciate the brutal, unflinching and personal story it tells.

That's so cool. You have such a wide net of interests. I read mainly DC but since joining here I'm going to branch out a little (Planetary, some Wildstorm stuff). We are a lot alike in a different way. Most of what we'll read is new to us! It's like being a kid again.

Do you have a list of stuff you'd like to read? It's just I have stuff I don't read that often or have duplicates of (e.g. the Man who Laughs, Killing Joke, Hush, Kyle Rayner Compendium and a lot more). You can have them if you want.
Thanks, I have the singles of Rayner Green Lantern, Hush, and to be delivered today, the Killing Joke trade. The Man Who Laughs trade is fairly inexpensive on Amazon so I'll be ordering that this weekend.
I'm mostly into Marvel, I agree with Otomofan, I highly recommend you pick up Miller's Daredevil: Born Again trade, Miller's best work. If you want Daredevil's Origin, Miller's The Man Without Fear is the perfect jumping on point for Daredevil as well as being a great story on it's own.

Back