XM Studios Thanos

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought Magneto from Speculative Fiction for $900, the $3000 price was a place holder to keep people from buying it while he sent me a $2100 coupon to order it. He only had a few Magnetos and hundreds of people sending him emails wanting one... Like all the other shops (BBTS & Secret Compass) he got caught off guard with how fast Magneto sold out. TJ has always been a honest guy and works really hard to keep his customers happy, in this instance he got put in a really tough spot.

I made him an bundle offer which he accepted and that's how I got Magneto, let me be clear that I made the offer to him. Like any business if the offer is good you take it. He also gave me a great price for each statue I bought in that bundle... So I came away very happy.

Anyways I felt I needed to explain the situation so rumors didn't get out of control... Speculative Fiction is an honest shop and the owner TJ is a great guy.

Thanks for explaining. I have had some mild contact with him and he seems OK to me. I still think the $3k placeholder was an odd and needlessly confusing way to go about it if selling it to you was his intention all along... unless he was listening to all offers before accepting one. But even still, it would have made more sense to just mark it sold out until he has it sorted. The way he handled it begged for... well... speculative fiction! Dun dun duuuuun.

Good for you getting the Magneto!

But the fact does remain that there is a risk in putting down a deposit when you don't know the final price. This isn't really that unheard of in this industry. Hell, Mattycollector insists people agree to pay for year long monthly subscriptions before telling people the price OR what figures they are getting and it drives people nuts, but they still do it. I did it with Thanos and Wolverine, but I also knew the price would just be whatever XM sets it at. With the US retailers there seems to be more guess work involved with how they calculate their prices and how much of their shipping cost gets passed on to you. Sort of a crap shoot. If XM sets Thanos at $900 SGD, that's about $700-720 in USD. So his price before shipping from US retailers could be anywhere from $750-$900 depending on how big the order is, what method they use to ship it, etc. With the singapore dealers you have a little more assuredness that you will pay XM's price (usually minus the 7% tax that they build into it) and shipping is going to be $200-$300. Still some uncertainty, but a little less. Shipping from a US retailer to your door could still end up being an additional $100. So there is some guess work at this time ordering from anywhere, but with singapore retailers it's what the shipping costs come out to and with US retailers it's what the base price will be. And with US retailers getting so few of these to begin with, there is the added risk they will mark it up even more due to scarcity. Ultimately this is tough on everyone in North America because XM can't sell direct to here. I can totally understand people's hesitation to put down $150 when they don't have any more info.

Last edited:
I bought Magneto from Speculative Fiction for $900, the $3000 price was a place holder to keep people from buying it while he sent me a $2100 coupon to order it. He only had a few Magnetos and hundreds of people sending him emails wanting one... Like all the other shops (BBTS & Secret Compass) he got caught off guard with how fast Magneto sold out. TJ has always been a honest guy and works really hard to keep his customers happy, in this instance he got put in a really tough spot.

I made him an bundle offer which he accepted and that's how I got Magneto, let me be clear that I made the offer to him. Like any business if the offer is good you take it. He also gave me a great price for each statue I bought in that bundle... So I came away very happy.

Anyways I felt I needed to explain the situation so rumors didn't get out of control... Speculative Fiction is an honest shop and the owner TJ is a great guy.

Thanks for clearing that up Dan. I guess the only question I would have is why TJ didn't simply remove the listing for Magneto? I don't expect you answer that...it's just the question that popped into my head.

Nonetheless...congrats on Magneto! By the way, I have enjoyed your posts in the various XM threads.

Thanks for explaining. I have had some mild contact with him and he seems OK to me. I still think the $3k placeholder was an odd and needlessly confusing way to go about it if selling it to you was his intention all along... unless he was listening to all offers before accepting one. But even still, it would have made more sense to just mark it sold out until he has it sorted. The way he handled it begged for... well... speculative fiction! Dun dun duuuuun.

But the fact does remain that there is a risk in putting down a deposit when you don't know the final price. This isn't really that unheard of in this industry. I did it with Thanos and Wolverine, but I also knew the price would just be whatever XM sets it at. With the US retailers there seems to be more guess work involved with how they calculate their prices and how much of their shipping cost gets passed on to you. Sort of a crap shoot. If XM sets Thanos at $900 SGD, that's about $700-720 in USD. So his price before shipping from US retailers could be anywhere from $750-$900 depending on how big the order is, what method they use to ship it, etc. With the singapore dealers you have a little more assuredness that you will pay XM's price (usually minus the 7% tax that they build into it) and shipping is going to be $200-$300. Still some uncertainty, but a little less. Shipping from a US retailer to your door could still end up being an additional $100. So there is some guess work at this time ordering from anywhere, but with singapore retailers it's what the shipping costs come out to and with US retailers it's what the abse price will be. And with US retailers getting so few of these to begin with, there is the added risk they will mark it up even more due to scarcity. Ultimately this is tough on everyone in North America because XM can't sell direct to here. I can totally understand people's hesitation to put down $150 when they don't have any more info.

:goodpost:

I am sure you like him since you are always there to defend him. I am sure the ones that didn't get a response at all, or like GenoToys who he stopped responding in the middle of a deal would see it differently. I think it's safe to deal with him if you know how much you are paying and he will deliver. But honest shop and great guy is YMMV.

But the fact does remain that there is a risk in putting down a deposit when you don't know the final price. This isn't really that unheard of in this industry. Hell, Mattycollector insists people agree to pay for year long monthly subscriptions before telling people the price OR what figures they are getting and it drives people nuts, but they still do it. I did it with Thanos and Wolverine, but I also knew the price would just be whatever XM sets it at. With the US retailers there seems to be more guess work involved with how they calculate their prices and how much of their shipping cost gets passed on to you. Sort of a crap shoot. If XM sets Thanos at $900 SGD, that's about $700-720 in USD. So his price before shipping from US retailers could be anywhere from $750-$900 depending on how big the order is, what method they use to ship it, etc. With the singapore dealers you have a little more assuredness that you will pay XM's price (usually minus the 7% tax that they build into it) and shipping is going to be $200-$300. Still some uncertainty, but a little less. Shipping from a US retailer to your door could still end up being an additional $100. So there is some guess work at this time ordering from anywhere, but with singapore retailers it's what the shipping costs come out to and with US retailers it's what the base price will be. And with US retailers getting so few of these to begin with, there is the added risk they will mark it up even more due to scarcity. Ultimately this is tough on everyone in North America because XM can't sell direct to here. I can totally understand people's hesitation to put down $150 when they don't have any more info.

Part of the problem with US Shops is they have to use a middle man, so they can't buy direct from XM, these middle man are going to add their profit to the price they sell to the US stores. So the price is usually a bit higher then if someone bought from say Simple Toys, one difference is Simple Toys has stated that if you receive a bad statue you would have to pay to ship it back to them. So whatever savings you might get are wiped out by this.... The US stores have stated that they will either replace it for you or give you 100% refund so your not stuck with a bad statue, that's something Simple Toys doesn't offer. I'm not sure about the other Singapore stores if they have the same policy or not. but Simples Toys policy was posted from a member here who got a email response directly back from them.

So there's lots of pro's and con's with whatever decision you go with... There's even risk with Singapore members who are buying them for us, Something could happen to them (God forbid) and you've lost whatever money you sent them.

Part of the problem with US Shops is they have to use a middle man, so they can't buy direct from XM, these middle man are going to add their profit to the price they sell to the US stores. So the price is usually a bit higher then if someone bought from say Simple Toys, one difference is Simple Toys has stated that if you receive a bad statue you would have to pay to ship it back to them. So whatever savings you might get are wiped out by this.... The US stores have stated that they will either replace it for you or give you 100% refund so your not stuck with a bad statue, that's something Simple Toys doesn't offer. I'm not sure about the other Singapore stores if they have the same policy or not. but Simples Toys policy was posted from a member here who got a email response directly back from them.

So there's lots of pro's and con's with whatever decision you go with... There's even risk with Singapore members who are buying them for us, Something could happen to them (God forbid) and you've lost whatever money you sent them.

Yup. That's a big part of the problem. It's basically the same as with a convention exclusive or something. US retailers can't really get these at wholesale price. There's risks all around and no great way for us over here. I would say BBTS is the best choice but your chances of ordering one from them are a crapshoot at best. No perfect options, more of a pick your poison situation. I only ordered Magneto from Simply Toys because they were my only option really. I emailed Spec Fiction about his, we traded a few emails, I made my offer (though it was... uncouth lol), he expressed some interest but then just stopped responding to my emails, which was a little bothersome only because my last email to him was a direct response to a question he had asked me.

This is Rem-Rock quote, he had issue with his XM Cap.

I want to add that Simply Toys was extremely professional as well. They offered a replacement and a state side location to return the damaged piece at no out of pocket expense for me. Please keep that in mind if anyone was on the fence about using them. Thanks

link: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...tain-America&p=6923165&viewfull=1#post6923165

That's great to hear. I have exchanged many emails with them (not about replacements specifically) and they have been prompt, courteous and thorough in their responses.

Same here, well retailers should be like that anyways, if they don't response to you, that's alarming. I only have PO with Simply Toys a Black Widow from back in May, haven't actually received anything yet, so time will tell.

You need to read the whole story, by accident the UPS guy grab one of the Captain America boxes that was flawed, it was not meant to be shipped out. So when he received it the head wouldn't fit on the body, and there were scratches and chips all over the body. XM Rep saw his post and pictures and told him that they would take care of it and it wouldn't cost him anything. So XM handled this with Simple Toys directly, so this was a one off situation.

Last edited:
You need to read the whole story, by accident the UPS guy grab one of the Captain America boxes that was flawed, it was not meant to be shipped out. So when he received it the head wouldn't fit on the body, and there were scratches and chips all over the body. XM Rep saw his post and pictures and told him that they would take care of it and it wouldn't cost him anything. So XM handled this with Simple Toys directly, so this was a one off situation.

Well, we could also say it's a one off because that's supposedly the only way anyway would end up with a flawed one (other than shipping damage), since their QC process is purportedly impregnable.

Has anyone really had any QC issues with Cap or Hulk? I can't recall reading any.

it's kind of funny watching it go in and out of stock on Spec Fiction. I did make the plunge on the last Captain America a couple weeks ago. Of course the recent convention caused delays. I may take another plunge once that comes in and if there is any still available. But I'm definitely concerned with no final price just like everyone else. I imagine it would have to be within competition prices if he wants to keep customers though. I absolutely know it goes against better judgement, but these xm statues came out of nowhere for me, and is throwing any self control I thought I had out the window.

If I may offer some advice to those of you just getting into XM....focus on the characters you hear have the most hype...they will have the biggest edition sizes as well. But keep in mind....you do have about 4 to 5 months to save up money for whatever characters you pre-order. As awesome as Hawkeye is....I don't think you will have problem getting a character like him from BBTS, or SC or SPEC FICTION for around that $700 range. But you can't fart around on Thanos, Wolverine, no sense in me mentioning Magneto, and Phoenix. Black Widow is now going to be I think one of XM hottest statues....as she is now sold out on BBTS...and since she was shown at the show with the new head and how many extras and light up feature (the only XM statue to have a lightup) she might just be too hard to get in the next few weeks.

Good luck to you all. Isn't this exciting to have that old nostalgic feeling of getting on the SS pre-orders the first hour they went up? I will never forget those days, and I learn to appreciate it now that I am older into the collecting game. It is also great to see companies like PCS help XM Studios push along the collectability of statues today. Low edition sizes and excellent QC and great AD make this what the statue collecting hobby is all about.

Don't screw around on the Thanos, Wolverine, and Black Widow....oh and add BOTH IM to the list. Yes!! The IM MK 42 sold out before BW....so that should tell you how much wanted and sought after these will be.

Well, we could also say it's a one off because that's supposedly the only way anyway would end up with a flawed one (other than shipping damage), since their QC process is purportedly impregnable.

Has anyone really had any QC issues with Cap or Hulk? I can't recall reading any.

That is true, XM packing is impeccable and the odds of the statue breaking would seem pretty remote... but like anything it can happen even if the odds are pretty rare

No...and if anyone hasn't read my Captain American horror story turned great ending in the Cap A Xm thread....do yourself a favor and read it. Feel reassured you will be getting the best packaging possible for your collectible....at least it's the best I have experienced so far. Breakages I just don't see happening unless it got smashed by a crate falling on it.

I kid you all not. Even then it might still be safe. I swear this thing could stop the bullet of a powerful gun. If any of you get Hulk or Thanos...Magneto too probably.....you might want a second set of hands to help you...especially if you have to go up a flight of stairs of something.

If I may offer some advice to those of you just getting into XM....focus on the characters you hear have the most hype...they will have the biggest edition sizes as well. But keep in mind....you do have about 4 to 5 months to save up money for whatever characters you pre-order. As awesome as Hawkeye is....I don't think you will have problem getting a character like him from BBTS, or SC or SPEC FICTION for around that $700 range. But you can't fart around on Thanos, Wolverine, no sense in me mentioning Magneto, and Phoenix. Black Widow is now going to be I think one of XM hottest statues....as she is now sold out on BBTS...and since she was shown at the show with the new head and how many extras and light up feature (the only XM statue to have a lightup) she might just be too hard to get in the next few weeks.

Good luck to you all. Isn't this exciting to have that old nostalgic feeling of getting on the SS pre-orders the first hour they went up? I will never forget those days, and I learn to appreciate it now that I am older into the collecting game. It is also great to see companies like PCS help XM Studios push along the collectability of statues today. Low edition sizes and excellent QC and great AD make this what the statue collecting hobby is all about.

Don't screw around on the Thanos, Wolverine, and Black Widow....oh and add BOTH IM to the list. Yes!! The IM MK 42 sold out before BW....so that should tell you how much wanted and sought after these will be.

Great post...you made a number of good points.

I have a couple of small issues with my Cap. There's a small chip on the base and a white paint smudge on one of his boots. I've been meaning to contact Mark about it, but I haven't got around to it and I'm sure he's really busy at the moment anyway. I'm sure that a few brushes of paint will fix both issues with no problem at all, so I'm not particularly bothered. I would just like some advice about what type of paint to use and the best way to apply it, since I'm a complete DIY noob.

Minor chips and some smuges, but other than the one statue that was mistakenly shipped Nothing else

Didn't they ban you from this forum for being full of XM Marvel awesomeness? A secret marvel assassin of sorts. Dare I say...... a statue Ninja? :wink1:

Ninja Ninja!
ruhua2.jpg

Back