Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's something hugely distracting going on by releasing two versions. And honestly, I suspect that is likely as much Zack Snyder’s idea as it was Netflix’s. I think Snyder liked the idea because he saw the opportunity to do something very creative with it that has never been done before by any filmmaker.

I didn't realize Snyder was the first filmmaker to ever release a "director's cut." Truly a bleeding edge idea. First of its kind.

Can't wait to see what he comes up with next. Maybe he'll release a little two minute summary of his movies before they're released. A "preview" of sorts.

I didn't realize Snyder was the first filmmaker to ever release a "director's cut." Truly a bleeding edge idea. First of its kind.

Can't wait to see what he comes up with next. Maybe he'll release a little two minute summary of his movies before they're released. A "preview" of sorts.
One director making two pre-planned cuts on purpose, a studio-mandated cut and a director's cut so they can be released as separate releases and advertised as such? When has that been done before?

Lord of the Rings?

Every movie that was released with an "unrated extended cut!!" on DVD after the theatrical release in the last 20 years?

I think that T800 and Alatar mean that no movie has been planned that way before. It's one thing that you make your first edit, go through it with the studio, decide on where to edit it further, release it and then go back and re-edit the long(er) version, versus plan from the beginning how you're going to make two different versions of the movie.

He concurrently filmed a version that he himself toned down (PG13 2 hour-ish for each part) alongside the film he genuinely wanted to make (R-rated 3+ hours for each part). He explains the reason for that being that Netflix insisted on the PG13 2 hour version, although they left him alone to make it and apparently the studio didn’t give him notes for it. I’m not aware of that ever having been done before. But do you see the difference?

Unfortunately there's not enough sex and violence in the entire universe to make this franchise interesting...

There may be many viewers that share that opinion. I think it will be polarizing at best in all honesty. I’m not particularly keen on sex and violence being used to punch up the sci-fi space opera genre.

I mean that said, George R.R. Martin did it to the sort of high fantasy universe that Tolkien birthed. I just don’t really need or want it for a “Star Wars” type of mythos. But I’ll wait and see how it actually plays out. I may like it well enough.

I think that T800 and Alatar mean that no movie has been planned that way before. It's one thing that you make your first edit, go through it with the studio, decide on where to edit it further, release it and then go back and re-edit the long(er) version, versus plan from the beginning how you're going to make two different versions of the movie.
Countless movies have been made this way. Especially when the DVD market was booming. Every movie had a version with more sex or bad language intended for home video while the toned down version was intended for theatrical release.

I can't believe anyone could suggest this is some kind of novel "first" with a straight face.

Blade Runner has like 17 versions now.
There are three official versions if you count the ones that were actually playing in theaters at some point. Original with and without narration plus the Final Cut. The other two are unfinished workprints that Ridley added to the Collector's Edition sets just for fun...

O he’s still trying with this franchise? Good on him I guess
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Countless movies have been made this way. Especially when the DVD market was booming. Every movie had a version with more sex or bad language intended for home video while the toned down version was intended for theatrical release.

I can't believe anyone could suggest this is some kind of novel "first" with a straight face.

How many "unrated" DVD's had nearly double in runtime added? How many used different takes for the same scene on purpose?

A director's cut is typically created first after the assembly cut. That is used or the studio gets the director to edit that version or they start again or they get someone else to do it. Here the director has planned and done both versions from the outset. At no point was Netflix going to judge his director's cut to see if that is what they want to release first.

How many "unrated" DVD's had nearly double in runtime added? How many used different takes for the same scene on purpose?

A director's cut is typically created first after the assembly cut. That is used or the studio gets the director to edit that version or they start again or they get someone else to do it. Here the director has planned and done both versions from the outset. At no point was Netflix going to judge his director's cut to see if that is what they want to release first.
Idk maybe he should just… ya know. Make the movie good on his first attempt instead of the old

“O yea I got a directors cut coming and it has all the stuff I wanted to do but couldn’t”

He concurrently filmed a version that he himself toned down (PG13 2 hour-ish for each part) alongside the film he genuinely wanted to make (R-rated 3+ hours for each part). He explains the reason for that being that Netflix insisted on the PG13 2 hour version, although they left him alone to make it and apparently the studio didn’t give him notes for it. I’m not aware of that ever having been done before. But do you see the difference?

s-l1200.jpg

Strawman Fallacy​

Description: Substituting a person’s actual position or argument with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of the argument.
Logical Form:
Person 1 makes claim Y.
Person 2 restates person 1’s claim (in a distorted way).
Person 2 attacks the distorted version of the claim.
Therefore, claim Y is false.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Strawman-Fallacy

Strawman Fallacy​

Description: Substituting a person’s actual position or argument with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of the argument.
Logical Form:
Person 1 makes claim Y.
Person 2 restates person 1’s claim (in a distorted way).
Person 2 attacks the distorted version of the claim.
Therefore, claim Y is false.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Strawman-Fallacy

How to make Fried Eggs

Description:
Frying eggs
Logical Form:

Person 1 chucks eggs into a frying pan.
Person 1 fries eggs
Person 2 might make some later

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a23499380/how-to-fry-an-egg/

Also the Snyder cut is coming to theaters!

I’m genuinely surprised at this. He said on VERO that he would provide information about a date which automatically means a limited release. I hope it’s more than the Rebel Moon Part 1 PG13 cut got, which was just one week in just four cities (and only one theater each) worldwide. But still this is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Back