1/6 Facepool - WWII US Marine Corps Mortar Team (Eugene Sledge, Pacific)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
fp0.jpeg

Facepool US Marine 1.jpeg
Facepool US Marine 2.jpeg
Facepool US Marine 3.jpeg
Facepool US Marine 4.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm curious to know if this will be a complete figure or just the outfit/gear set, similar to their previously released 2nd Rangers set that was done for Pvt. Mellish. Either way, I'm getting it.

I'm curious to know if this will be a complete figure or just the outfit/gear set, similar to their previously released 2nd Rangers set that was done for Pvt. Mellish. Either way, I'm getting it.

I wondered whether they were going to start on a series inspired by HBO's The Pacific.

The-Pacific-016.jpg

I'm not sure about him yet as I wasn't planning on expanding into US military. The tropical aspect made me take another look, and I've been thinking about repurposing him as Merrill's Marauders/Mars Task Force in Burma to accompany the Ujindou Chindit. (The shoulder holster mostly covers the printed USMC).

I wondered whether they were going to start on a series inspired by HBO's The Pacific.

View attachment 589904

I'm not sure about him yet as I wasn't planning on expanding into US military. The tropical aspect made me take another look, and I've been thinking about repurposing him as Merrill's Marauders/Mars Task Force in Burma to accompany the Ujindou Chindit. (The shoulder holster mostly covers the printed USMC).

Excellent idea for displaying.

Well they have to do Basilone and Leckie too.

I'd love Snafu too.

Must rewatch The Pacific again.

Agreed on all points!

Excellent idea for displaying.

It'll probably be a stretch as this is the Marine style HBT (Herringbone twill) utility uniform, rather than the Army HBT:

hbt.jpg

The Marauders were given a certain degree of independence in choosing the clothing and equipment for their mission. Nearly all items were standard US Army issue for tropical service. There was one constraint: a man had to carry whatever he chose to take with him. Once behind enemy lines, there would be no return to a base camp. There was a strong incentive to get rid of as much weight as possible. Some items that seemed necessary at the beginning were quickly discarded once the marching had begun. The standard uniform for the majority of the Marauders was the darker green M1943 HBT (herringbone twill) cotton shirt and the second pattern M1943 HBT pants. The M1943 HBT shirt featured two large breast pockets, while the HBT pants featured two large cargo pockets on the thighs, useful for storing K-rations or hand grenades. Merrill's Marauders, Edward Young, Osprey.

However, I really like the look of this figure so far, so I want to make it work somehow!

@Asta

Are there going to be other 1/6th Marines being, or have been, produced that you know of?

Probably because of Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan there's been quite a few Rangers and Airborne.

I searched Soldier Story's site and they have two Marines way back in their in their history as you can see by their copyright dates:

usm1.jpg

usm2.jpg

I used to have a big collection of Dragon (DML) military, but sold them when I thought I was out of the genre.

I've gradually been drawn back in, initially with a limited area of interest: Afrika Korps and Red Army women.

The area has swiftly expanded into North African Luftwaffe, then a British Commando that took me north to Italy, and a Chindit which continues the initial tropical theme.

It's a very addictive hobby, and one thing keeps leading to another. :lol

Must rewatch The Pacific again.

I tried to watch The Pacific on two different occasions, but couldn't stick with it.

I've lined it up for another try though.

For documentaries Smithsonian's eight part The Pacific War in Color (2018) is very good, and a good companion to Japan's War in Colour (2005).

I think I'll be getting this Marine and keeping him as is for the tropical collection.

The Pacific is a different type of series of sorts. Not as romantic as BOB. There is a lot of focus on personal struggles and the simple brutality of jungle fighting. Still a great study of character and the effects on men in combat. I found that if i viewed it through that scope, I enjoyed it much more. I was stationed in Hawaii when the show released and several of the cast came out to do a screening at the base theater. Sadly, I couldn't attend. Really hate that I missed out. Everyone that I spoke to who attended said that the cast members were really humble and awesome to speak with.

I made a search to see if there was any more news about the figure, and this 1:1 reference appeared:

https://giconcepts.com/world-war-ii...vision-eniwetok.363.10.military-costumes-film
GI Concepts is one of the leading providers of military related services to the entertainment industry. It is an award-winning company providing a wide range of services including; technical consultation, military advise and research, prop, costume and equipment rental, casting and coordinating.

60mm Mortar Crewman, 22nd Marines, 6th Marine Division, Eniwetok Atoll, February 1944:

2434_Mortar_Man_22nd_Marines_6th_Div_1944_1.jpg
2435_Mortar_Man_22nd_Marines_6th_Div_1944_2.jpg
2436_Mortar_Man_22nd_Marines_6th_Div_1944_3.jpg
2437_Mortar_Man_22nd_Marines_6th_Div_1944_4.jpg

There are lots of 1:1 representations of WWII US Marines on this page:

https://giconcepts.com/world-war-iius-marine-corps.10.0.html

I started watching The Pacific again and found myself really getting into it.

The beach landings are reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan, which I think is no surprise as Tom Hanks was one of the Executive Producers.

In Episode 5 I'm seeing what may become the inspiration for the Facepool figure, as it's the first one where I noticed the camouflaged helmets and camouflaged rain ponchos on their backpacks. Then there's the new guy coming into the tent saying, "We're supposed to be in 60 Mortar, Second Squad."

vlcsnap-2022-07-27-13h46m55s437.jpg

vlcsnap-2022-07-27-14h01m15s796.jpg

vlcsnap-2022-07-27-14h10m16s801.jpg
vlcsnap-2022-07-27-14h09m37s416.jpg

Back