1/6 Hot Toys - TMS116 - Ahsoka series: Grand Admiral Thrawn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's probably that stowaway Ezra Bridger causing all of this trouble for.....oh wait, I forgot that HT couldn't be bothered to make ALL the key characters from the show. Nevermind...
They’ve made far more than any other show outside of Mandalorian. Those Andor and Acolyte shows have yet to see a single figure. And who’s to say they’re done with Ahsoka?

They’ve made far more than any other show outside of Mandalorian. Those Andor and Acolyte shows have yet to see a single figure. And who’s to say they’re done with Ahsoka?
As Ahsoka is getting a 2nd season eventually we probably will get more figures from it including an Ezra, but it likely won’t be his S1 bearded nomad look. Hopefully I’m proven wrong but it’ll likely be a yet to be seen S2 clean shaven Ezra in an outfit similar to his animated one.

He eventually completed his arduous journey home, taking twelve days instead of the average seven.

Quite a striking figure, and surprisingly tall...

IMG_4214 HT Thrawn.JPG
IMG_4218 HT Thrawn.JPG

I didn't measure him standing fully upright but he's far taller than I expected.

Measuring him in his current pose, and eliminating his boot heels, he appears to be 12 1/2" tall, i.e., 6' 3" which is actually Lars Mikkelsen's height according to Celebheights.

Putting him in his assigned Detolf place revealed that Imperial Grand Admirals have whiter uniforms than Directors within the Imperial Intelligence Services.

Out of the box his eyes were perfectly aligned, but having to take his head off to remove the protective wrap from his neck left the shaped socket attached to the ball joint, and trying to seat the sculpt back onto his neck the socket messed with his vision...

IMG_4205.JPG

The eyes are so mobile, with little friction to hold them in place, adjusting them is a very sensitive operation. It took a while to get them realigned.

Before replacing the sculpt I made sure this time to detach the socket and snap it into place first:

IMG_4208 HT Thrawn.JPG

When I referred back to the promo photos to double check the orientation of the datapad, I noticed that both the sculpt and paintwork had changed for the production version, so I guess HT found better images.

IMG_4196.JPG

HT Thrawn 5.jpg

I'd seen and heard in one of the video reviews that the hologram diorama was a bit naff due to the flimsy nature of the disc. It's true, Hot Toys did opt to use an insubstantial sliver of plastic. Maybe once the hologram's taped it'll do its job. I couldn't test it because the disc drops straight down the pole, and would have to be stuck to keep it in place at the top, but I'm not sure I would really want to have it on display anyway.

Last edited:
View attachment 724936

I'd seen and heard in one of the video reviews that the hologram diorama was a bit naff due to the flimsy nature of the disc. It's true, Hot Toys did opt to use an insubstantial sliver of plastic. Maybe once the hologram's taped it'll do its job. I couldn't test it because the disc drops straight down the pole, and would have to be stuck to keep it in place at the top, but I'm not sure I would really want to have it on display anyway.
What diameter is that flimsy disc? I have a package of blank CDs left over from my CD burning days and included in that is a clear "spacer" disc at the bottom. If the diameters a close putting that under the map could be a cheap & dirty way to fix the problem.

View attachment IMG_4761.jpeg

What diameter is that flimsy disc? I have a package of blank CDs left over from my CD burning days and included in that is a clear "spacer" disc at the bottom. If the diameters a close putting that under the map could be a cheap & dirty way to fix the problem.

View attachment 724946

The disc is 16 cm in diameter.

I have some of them as well. Tested one and held it in place, and it looks like it'll work to keep the disc rigid, though the spacer would have to be stuck to the underside.

The spacer is only 12 cm so you can see the outline of the edge through the disc.

The disc is 16 cm in diameter.

I have some of them as well. Tested one and held it in place, and it looks like it'll work to keep the disc rigid, though the spacer would have to be stuck to the underside.

The spacer is only 12 cm so you can see the outline of the edge through the disc.
Oh wow, I was expecting the CD spacer to be the larger one, not vice-versa. Does seeing the outline of its edge through the disc kill the illusion?

Oh wow, I was expecting the CD spacer to be the larger one, not vice-versa. Does seeing the outline of its edge through the disc kill the illusion?

I find it hard to sustain the illusion with or without the spacer.

Some screencaps from the last episode:

Ahsoka (2).png
Ahsoka (3).png
Ahsoka (5).png

I managed to catch the disc at an angle where it'd stay at the top of the poll unaided, though the double sided tape would have to be used to keep it flush to the star destroyer piece:

IMG_4218.JPG

This is using a thicker plastic DVD pack spacer, which stays in place on its own as I pushed the pole through a piece of tape that was covering the spindle hole. You can just make out the circumference and strengthening bars, though if lit from below they're prominent:

IMG_4219.JPG

This is holding a thin plastic DVD spacer under the disc. Again, as long as there isn't a light source from below the circumference is just visible:

IMG_4220.JPG

As a diorama piece it doesn't grab me. It's not in the same class as the figure, and if scaled down would look more appropriate with the 3 3/4" range.

I managed to catch the disc at an angle where it'd stay at the top of the poll unaided, though the double sided tape would have to be used to keep it flush to the star destroyer piece:

View attachment 724950

This is using a thicker plastic DVD pack spacer, which stays in place on its own as I pushed the pole through a piece of tape that was covering the spindle hole. You can just make out the circumference and strengthening bars, though if lit from below they're prominent:

View attachment 724951

This is holding a thin plastic DVD spacer under the disc. Again, as long as there isn't a light source from below the circumference is just visible:

View attachment 724952

As a diorama piece it doesn't grab me. It's not in the same class as the figure, and if scaled down would look more appropriate with the 3 3/4" range.
If I display this piece it definitely won't be lit from below so that spacer should do the trick (I can barely see it in your pics). But this all could be moot as I currently don't have the space for it.

If I display this piece it definitely won't be lit from below so that spacer should do the trick (I can barely see it in your pics). But this all could be moot as I currently don't have the space for it.

I'll probably display it without the disc:

IMG_4221.JPG
IMG_4222.JPG

Either way it's very specific to Thrawn being trapped on Peridea.

View attachment 724946
Genius idea, I should have some somewhere, will try that. Or maybe I could cut a disc drom clear plastic you find on certain toy packaging. IIRC the clear plastic windows on Disney store collector dolls is pretty thick and I have a pile of it somewhere. Would need to figure out how to cut a neat disc from it though.

Yeah, Thrawn is a surprisingly hard character to display right. He’s such a cerebral character. Even live action/animation struggles to really capture him. He’s very well suited to literature where his intelligence and thought process can be more naturally conveyed. Displaying a thinking character isn’t as straightforward as it may seem.
No idea if this is a pose he does - but a good pose to immediately denote an intellectual/thinking character with a rigid/militaristic/imperial mindset is to have one arm folded behind his back and the other up to the chin.
Denotes contemplation without the dreamy/laissez-faire connotations.

Back