1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a quick question. I recently purchased the awesome Screamin'/Kaiyodo Darth Vader vinyl kit (original, not re-cast) that is heavily used in this thread. I will just be building it as is but wanted to improve the helmet and maybe replace the vinyl cape with a cloth one. Anywhoo, I purchased a 1/6 Hasbro Darth Vader mask/helmet off ebay but once I received it it looks too big to my eye when placed atop the Screamin' mask.

Here is the ebay item, Star Wars 1 6 Darth Vader Helmet for 12" Kenner Hot Toys Threeea Custom Figure | eBay

Is this not the correct Hasbro helmet. I compared it to the ROTS Ultimate Villain set and it looked to be that?

Thanks

It seems to me the right helmet. It works perfectly on sideshow mask, but I think that it's a bit too big for the kaiyodo. You have to put it in the right angle to have minor issues about this.

OK, thx. Looking at the comparison pics on page 22 of this thread, the SSC helmet looks a bit better than the Hasbro on the Screamin' mask so I will probably go that route.

Weird thing though, there are several pics within this thread that showcase the screamin'\kaiyodo mask with the Hasbro helmet and they look spot on, lol. I just cannot get my Hasbro to look right.

OK, thx. Looking at the comparison pics on page 22 of this thread, the SSC helmet looks a bit better than the Hasbro on the Screamin' mask so I will probably go that route.

Weird thing though, there are several pics within this thread that showcase the screamin'\kaiyodo mask with the Hasbro helmet and they look spot on, lol. I just cannot get my Hasbro to look right.
I think the Sideshow dome, modified looks nice, but a little small...just a little. It's especially noticeable in proportion the body, etc. As stated, the Harbro dome looks good at certain angles, but what I've found is that either dome needs to be cut/carved. I love the new HT Vader, but I've been buying Vader figures for over 30 years....so I'm done with it. Doing your own custom/bash is very enjoyable for me anyway.
I'll post pics soon to show you what I've done to the Hasbro dome/kaiyodo mask.

Here's the carved Hasbro helmet on the kaiyodo. Still more to do. I don't like to sculpt onto things, as I like to use already made parts and have as durable a custom as possible. But in taken a bunch of plastic off the dome, some things need it. The dome eyebrow needs to be built just a bit higher...almost there.
It's just sitting on the helmet with tack right now. Before I paint and finally put this guy together, I'll try to document some steps.

A4.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

Quick question: has anyone tried to modify the SS figure so the HOt Toys Vader light saber arm would fit? Is it even possible?

You'd have to do both arms as the gloves are completely different. Plus the switch on the Hot Toys arm is a nightmare.

You'd be better off just getting a custom lightsabre which give off better light anyway.

Here's the carved Hasbro helmet on the kaiyodo. Still more to do. I don't like to sculpt onto things, as I like to use already made parts and have as durable a custom as possible. But in taken a bunch of plastic off the dome, some things need it. The dome eyebrow needs to be built just a bit higher...almost there.
It's just sitting on the helmet with tack right now. Before I paint and finally put this guy together, I'll try to document some steps.

View attachment 235536

View attachment 235539

View attachment 235540

McHaleyart, that helmet looks awesome. What Hasbro helmet did you use? If you above in my post I bought one of Ebay that looks like the ultimate villain set and its HUGE. Looks nothing like yours.

congratulations on that work, McHaley :clap
Looks impressive.
I have no abilities, nor the time to try and do one of those mods, but finally managed to get a Hot Toys head I will try on the modded Sideshow Deluxe Vader.

I wanted to share something I tried.
I edited some Vader sounds I found on youtube, and made a track and uploaded it on Youtube.

I don't know if it is too shabby, but it kinda works for me, when I look at my ESB/ROTJ Vader, to play the track with the smartphone...

Here are the sounds:

https://youtu.be/GP6SaeLW10Y

congratulations on that work, McHaley :clap
Looks impressive.
I have no abilities, nor the time to try and do one of those mods, but finally managed to get a Hot Toys head I will try on the modded Sideshow Deluxe Vader.

I wanted to share something I tried.
I edited some Vader sounds I found on youtube, and made a track and uploaded it on Youtube.

I don't know if it is too shabby, but it kinda works for me, when I look at my ESB/ROTJ Vader, to play the track with the smartphone...

Here are the sounds:

https://youtu.be/GP6SaeLW10Y
Cool. I think you could get yourself a Bluetooth speaker and put it near your figure and send the sounds from your phone.

McHaleyart, that helmet looks awesome. What Hasbro helmet did you use? If you above in my post I bought one of Ebay that looks like the ultimate villain set and its HUGE. Looks nothing like yours.
Yep..same one. I shaved off a big amount from it.

here I attach a photo of my modded SSC Deluxe Vader with more light... still need to work on the cape weight, and the shape of the shoulder pads, and I am waiting for the Hot Toys head to arrive.

But I am closer to considering this one done!

image.jpg

thanx!

I used the SSC Deluxe body, did not shorten it. To make the figure a tad shorter what I did was:

- used spare Jedi Luke SSC boots, these boots:

21041_press01-001.jpg

- fit them tight using hair dryer.
- afterwards I glued the ANH SSC boot armor on top of them. These boot armor, more detailed than SSC Deluxe ones:

IMG_16751.JPG

yes!! that's what I am doing.

how did you fit the head? can you show more pics? with indoors light only? :clap

Back