a deep question: Why do you collect ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because . . . I can and I have nothing else to do with my $ so I buy a lot of 1:6 stuff from select companies I like and try to enjoy the hobby.

I've been collecting since I was a kid. There's got to be some gene that gets passed from parents to the children. My parents collect (my mom, John Wayne collectibles; my dad, toy cars and baseball caps) so they passed it down to me. :lol I connected with movies when I was very young, so that's what stuck with me as the memorabilia to collect.

I like to collect figures because it keeps the old memories fresh.....

The main answer I can think of is because it's fun :D

Yeah it's fun! i saw the Yoda 1:1 bust one day and from then on i was infected with a bug that made me buy everything i see from sideshow etc. :lol

We collect for many reasons but one I don't think has been addressed is that I'm an artist and I like looking at shapes, curves, poses, shadowplay, etc. on figures to use as inspiration for my art. My two biggest learning senses are sight and touch, and figurines, dolls, action figures, what-have-you allow me to learn in both ways.

I collected records and CDs when I was growing up... so I guess that's where my collecting habits were formed.

As far as toys and statues go, I had lots of Hot Wheels and maybe 20+ Star Wars action figures as a kid (not a huge collection). But I do remember going into toy stores in the mall, as a kid, and drooling over the huge wall of Star Wars figures... wanting to have them all.

That all cleared from my mind through my teenage years, when I discovered girls... and didn't come back until I was in my early thirties and married. I was in a Spencer Gifts store one day, and noticed a McFarlane Toys Rob Zombie action figure. I`d never heard of McFarlane or Spawn, but thought the figure would look awesome on my desk. I owned that for a while, and then bought an Ozzy Osbourne and an Alice Cooper figure. At that point, I noticed the Spawn website address on the packaging, and decided to check it out... I was instantly blown away by the number of awesome figures they made, and had the means to buy several.

Searching out local comic shops became a weekly ritual for me. It was like a treasure hunt.

I then moved on to Mezco, ToyBiz, NECA, and Jakk Pacific WWE Classic Superstars figures. My interest in these lines began to fade when I discovered Sideshow Collectibles. I now mainly buy higher end stuff from SS and Hot Toys.

So it all really began with a “Hey, that looks cool”. Now I have countless reasons for collecting statues and action figures... some of which are...

• Gets my mind off of work
  • I stop in comic shops when I travel on business (for something to do)
  • I have an appreciation for what goes into making these products, and the final result (art)
  • They look cool
  • They enhance my office environment
  • There`s always something new to look forward to
  • It keeps me connected to what`s happening in Horror, Sci-fi, Comic Books (I love these genres)
  • It`s a fun hobby

Back