Agatha Coven of Chaos (Disney+) - Winter 2023

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa, karamazov is going on record as saying that Agatha is the single best comic adaptation since Road to Perdition? Geez, maybe we all should check it out then...
If you're gonna quote me, do it right:

"Agatha All Along makes A History of Violence feels like shots Uwe Boll would have left on the editing room floor"

Sorry others aren't finding this worth talking about but I think the season just gets better as it moves forward. Unless they fumble things at the goal line I think this will be one of the better marvel shows. They are obviously laying the groundwork for other stuff but in a way that feels organic and fulfilling.
I've actually felt the opposite. The show started fairly strong, but I've found successive episodes to be tiresome and repetitive as they follow the same basic structure-- several minutes of them walking the Road and bickering, and then they have a new "trial" in a house with a different 60s/80s/etc theme where some mildly weird stuff happens... and then they're back on the Road again.

After 3 or 4 episodes of that I just lost all interest. Maybe the format changes radically after that point, but I no longer care enough to watch.

The gay community is destroying wican calling him a twink.

They are pissed because they say that they signed on for lesbian relationship not twink-can.

World is really weird nowadays.

Everyone's got to be outraged about something. My entertainment news feed has been filled with stories about the star of the new wicked witch movie in hysterics about fan edits to the poster...
I'm enjoying the reactions to that bout of blatant narcissism at the same time irritated by the discounting of graphic artist work:thwak IMO. :pfft:

It's no easy thing to come up with a striking graphic representation or font, that's gonna be on merch and really needs to grab the public, even becoming an icon. (Fails in that department to me are replacing the Twitter bird and the "Meta" thing that looks like an ad for women's sport underwear. ) Successes being the Lion King and Wicked, or the Alien egg and tag line; or the Coke script font.

Anyway whoops completely forgot about this show.:monkey3 It sounded too message-y and fairly pointless. But maybe I'll give it a watch if there is nothing else on.

I'm actually digging this, especially for Halloween. But I do agree that the episodes feel repetitive. I get what they were going for, and as someone who loved "monster of the week" type formats in my youth, I don't hate it, but I wish it moved a little quicker. They did all the pre-road stuff in like 1.5 episodes, and now it's a whole Hikin' Down the Road episode per character so they each have a trial. But we also have to cram in Agatha and Rio backstory, and figuring out who "Teen" is. If they did 2 trials per episode we could be into some heavier stuff by now.

And to put on my critic's hat, I can easily see how this could be polarizing, because they take big swings. Whether you like or hate it may depend on your response to this (including some hammy, over the top acting, and over the top set pieces). But if you can embrace those things in the spirit of the story you might enjoy it. Ultimately I feel the story has charm and stakes to it that I didn't feel from a lot of other Marvel stuff.

ACOC has a good pilot episode. It appears, IMHO, the pilot episode, the first half, was a riff on Dark and The Bridge ( the Swedish version)

Where the successive episodes probably lost people is the pace began to decelerate. The pilot kept moving, the set up for a "Mystery Box" show was fairly well done. Unfortunately I think part of the problem is the police procedural elements of the pilot seems more appealing as a TV show, than the ACOC main storyline.

Also the show drifted from Hahn centric to ensemble centric. I think that jarred the pacing too. This is a bit of the bane of "Mystery Box" shows, they can generate a decent pilot on the premise, then if they don't catch people in Ep2 and Ep3 with a strong enough hook, then they'll lose people.

Patti Lupone has a notorious reputation of dominating a production. That might have shifted some of the writing that caused more of the drift. Good pilot though. The pilot had me interested. The struggle I have, and maybe a few others with Marvel shows is that there are sometimes just too many characters ( Like the Punisher, the subplot about the young guy who can't make it with the military contractor firm, the stuff about the veterans organization, maybe a bit too much about Microchip's family/wife, etc)

Back