All Mondo X-Men Animated Figure Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was out for a dog walk, it was still up for a good amount of time. I even text a few links to a few buddies that were interested. I even kicked around the idea of picking it up, but he was available for at least a good 20 to 30 minutes.

I got Rogue, I might get rid of her or the animated exclusive depending on which I like better in person in case anyone is interested...

The unfair part is if I didn't go online for a few days because of my schedule, I wouldn;t even have known.

24 hours notice or less is a very unfair turnaround time...imo
Agreed. Mondo's been pretty bad lately about sending emails before figures drop; nowadays, they only email once it's available (which is sometimes too late if it's limited). I only found out about the exact drop time from their Twitter feed yesterday, and I had to check their blog post to see what would actually be included (and if it was worth trying for the drop).

The downside to getting this is that now I'm going to have to wait for an Uncanny variant of Gambit to pick him up.

Uncanny Magneto has been my favorite variant. They sent off extra Uncanny Mags to BBTS and EE because he was a slow seller. Made me worried for the Uncanny sub line. Glad to pick up two more Uncanny variants and hope they keep releasing them.

Uncanny Magneto has been my favorite variant. They sent off extra Uncanny Mags to BBTS and EE because he was a slow seller. Made me worried for the Uncanny sub line. Glad to pick up two more Uncanny variants and hope they keep releasing them.
I didn't even know they had an Uncanny Mags?

Agreed. Mondo's been pretty bad lately about sending emails before figures drop; nowadays, they only email once it's available (which is sometimes too late if it's limited). I only found out about the exact drop time from their Twitter feed yesterday, and I had to check their blog post to see what would actually be included (and if it was worth trying for the drop).

The downside to getting this is that now I'm going to have to wait for an Uncanny variant of Gambit to pick him up.
I missed Gambit also really because I prefer Soosoo Toys which I do NOT have. Trying to ge tthat under 200.

But I may give up and aim for Mondo Gambit. I guess Uncanny is the way to get it. I just cannot get the basic edition knwoing a better version exists.

I hope this sells well because I would like to see them do more of these. Re-release Cyclops, Gambit and Jubilee without all that dumb cell shading.

I like the cell shading I don't get the hate.

Hasbro, I hated, McFarlane also...but the Mondos are fantastic. What am I missing? Why do people hate the cell shading?

I just posted above that most likely people prefer the cell-shaded limited Rogue.. XD

Hate is a strong word. I don't think people hate it, but when it's overly done, it looks messy, IMHO.

That's why the only character I skipped was the cell-shaded Omega Red. I have the deluxe/timed edition/limited version of all the characters except for Omega Red because of the way they did the cell shading.

I am glad that I can fill that small gap now with the Uncanny version of Red. :)

It's just a personal preference. I think the cell shaded look is just too messy for my tastes.

I passed on Uncanny Magneto because I didn't care for his shiny metallic red helmet (in contrast to the rest of the outfit). Of course, now I've ordered a Rogue with shiny metallic green paint...

I missed Gambit also really because I prefer Soosoo Toys which I do NOT have. Trying to ge tthat under 200.

But I may give up and aim for Mondo Gambit. I guess Uncanny is the way to get it. I just cannot get the basic edition knwoing a better version exists.
I actually owned the SooSoo Gambit for a good stretch before I sold it. I was in the reverse situation where I picked that up first while waiting for their Rogue to come out. However, I didn't like the final version of their Rogue and sold off the two of them. That was a great realistic-looking Gambit figure though.

With comic book characters where I mainly see them as 2D interpretations (as drawn by certain artists), I think I might be more drawn (no pun intended) to these animated-style plastic figures as opposed to the more lifelike mixed media interpretations (like SooSoo's).

Rogue is still available! Quite surprised.
I guess people still prefer the original animated cell-shaded limited version.
I can see the appeal of the original version with the bright colors, and the cell-shading was subtle and done well on that one. But I would prefer a figure without the shading, if given the option. Also quite surprised that it's still available.

I ain't going all in on this line. Just a couple or three characters that I adore. Sabertooth and Omega Red are my all time favorite mutant villains.

(I'll take Sabertooth over Wolverine any day of the week, I know, weird)

The rest are just a money pit that I ain't falling in. Love the X-Men but DC and prequels trilogy figures have basically killed any chance of me committing to this line long term.

They are great looking figures. A full team display of Mutant villains and X-Men is gonna look amazing tho. Look forward to seeing that in a few yrs if Mondo go balls deep with this.

I can see the appeal of the original version with the bright colors, and the cell-shading was subtle and done well on that one. But I would prefer a figure without the shading, if given the option. Also quite surprised that it's still available.
Yep.
For me, Rogue's cell shading is well done.
One of the reasons I prefer the cell-shaded version of Rogue is that her jacket is green-ish just like in the animated series. Gambit and Cyke's jackets are brown, so it's good to have a touch of another color for the jacketed character lineup.
Also, I love the animated series style paint on the sentinel head base!

I ain't going all in on this line. Just a couple or three characters that I adore. Sabertooth and Omega Red are my all time favorite mutant villains.

(I'll take Sabertooth over Wolverine any day of the week, I know, weird)

The rest are just a money pit that I ain't falling in. Love the X-Men but DC and prequels trilogy figures have basically killed any chance of me committing to this line long term.

They are great looking figures. A full team display of Mutant villains and X-Men is gonna look amazing tho. Look forward to seeing that in a few yrs if Mondo go balls deep with this.
I started collecting this line because I wanted a decent representative of (one of) my childhood favorite cartoons. I quit collecting Marvel Legends X-Men series because Hasbro keeps making better versions of the same character over and over again, and it makes the old one look so outdated. Ugh.

For this series, I would be happy if Mondo made the remaining main good guys: Beast, Storm, Jean, and Charles.
As for the Villains, I'll take Apocalypse and Mystique. Well maybe also Sinister.

That would be all!

Yep.
One of the reasons I prefer the cell-shaded version of Rogue is that her jacket is green-ish just like in the animated series. Gambit and Cyke's jackets are brown, so it's good to have a touch of another color for the jacketed character lineup.

I started collecting this line because I wanted a decent representative of (one of) my childhood favorite cartoons. I quit collecting Marvel Legends X-Men series because Hasbro keeps making better versions of the same character over and over again, and it makes the old one look so outdated. Ugh.

For this series, I would be happy if Mondo made the remaining main good guys: Beast, Storm, Jean, and Charles.
As for the Villains, I'll take Apocalypse and Mystique. Well maybe also Sinister.

That would be all!
I'd have to get Storm and that would be a very dangerous figure to purchase. She would look out of place on her own or with Villains. I'd be tempted to play catchup with older releases to make the display look right with her in it.

Ok that settles it. No Storm for me.

Maybe... ugh. I'm pretty disappointed in their Rouge.

Yep.

That would be all!
Haha, I'm the opposite with Rogue- I like her jacket to match Gambit's brown (though they're sometimes different in the comics, with hers having a bit of green), and I like the darker comic-style paint on the Sentinel head.

As someone who got into Marvel Legends just to collect the 90s X-Men lineup, I can understand why you quit. I haven't picked up any new ones in a couple years, but there is something cool about having a whole team lineup (which would be cost and space prohibitive for me with these Mondo figures).

I'd have to get Storm and that would be a very dangerous figure to purchase. She would look out of place on her own or with Villains. I'd be tempted to play catchup with older releases to make the display look right with her in it.

Ok that settles it. No Storm for me.

Maybe... ugh. I'm pretty disappointed in their Rouge.
Well.. you can always have Storm posed fighting all the villains, I mean she's a goddess anyway, she can handle them all! :D
Why disappointed with Rogue? even with 2 versions?

Haha, I'm the opposite with Rogue- I like her jacket to match Gambit's brown (though they're sometimes different in the comics, with hers having a bit of green), and I like the darker comic-style paint on the Sentinel head.

As someone who got into Marvel Legends just to collect the 90s X-Men lineup, I can understand why you quit. I haven't picked up any new ones in a couple years, but there is something cool about having a whole team lineup (which would be cost and space prohibitive for me with these Mondo figures).
Yeah, this is what is good about the hobby, people have different tastes, so our collections will look different and unique.
Personally, I have never seen any Sentinel painted properly with the animated style with the cell shade n all, so this Sentinel base is a must for me.

Yep, been collecting X-Men since the 90's Toybiz, then moving to Toybiz Marvel Legends and now Hasbro.
I think with the Hasbro 1/12 figures price increase now, I'd rather spend my funds collecting Mondo's 1/6 animated X-Men lineup and be done with it, than keep buying the never-ending newer versions of Hasbro X-Men and piling up up the devaluated old ones.
Especially when it comes to the X-Men series, there are a LOT of them piling up. XD

Yep, been collecting X-Men since the 90's Toybiz, then moving to Toybiz Marvel Legends and now Hasbro.
I think with the Hasbro 1/12 figures price increase now, I'd rather spend my funds collecting Mondo's 1/6 animated X-Men lineup and be done with it, than keep buying the never-ending newer versions of Hasbro X-Men and piling up up the devaluated old ones.
Especially when it comes to the X-Men series, there are a LOT of them piling up. XD
I wasn't collecting when Toy Biz did Marvel Legends, but I loved the 90s Toy Biz 5" X-Men lineup. This might be the nostalgia talking, but I think I like those figures more than the Hasbro Marvel Legends line. They didn't have nearly enough articulation, but I loved all the gimmicky special features and accessories.

I wasn't collecting when Toy Biz did Marvel Legends, but I loved the 90s Toy Biz 5" X-Men lineup. This might be the nostalgia talking, but I think I like those figures more than the Hasbro Marvel Legends line. They didn't have nearly enough articulation, but I loved all the gimmicky special features and accessories.
I totally agree.
There's something special about the old Uncanny X-Men Toybiz line. The amazing sculpt (and all done traditionally!), they never reused molds, and the packaging art, the special features..
They are wonderful figures.

I specifically wanted this because of the brown jacket. It was originally brown in the comics, but the cartoon changed it to green, either to not conflict with Morph's jacket (which is a character that didn't even exists in the comics), or just to unify her color scheme. Rogue's outfit has historically been primarily green.

DoSOJlGXkAANIMV.jpeg

Back