ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still think Hercules is better version to have and more G1 looking robots (mode)

Still think Hercules is better version to have and more G1 looking robots (mode)

Herc wins for me due to the extra bulk of both the individual robots and
the combined mode.

I think Giant is closer to the G1 toys and animation model whereas Herc is based on the IDW art.

Both are better than any official combiner.

Herc wins for me due to the extra bulk of both the individual robots and
the combined mode.

I think Giant is closer to the G1 toys and animation model whereas Herc is based on the IDW art.

Both are better than any official combiner.

agreed. Looked at Hasbro/Takara release

tfcl_dev11.jpg

once I saw the hercules being released, I sold that craptastic Devastator immediately

holy crap that yellow dev looks awesome.

i picked up prime starscream and bulkhead today at walmart along with 2 more vehicons.

holy crap that yellow dev looks awesome.

i picked up prime starscream and bulkhead today at walmart along with 2 more vehicons.

ARGH! Where are you finding Vehicons?! i've been searching for weeks, and all my local stores have is about 10 million bumblebees.
toys r us? Nothing but bumblebees, and ONE soundwave
Walmar
Bumblebee and 1 cliff jumper
Target? Bumblebee

Bumblebees, bumblebees everywhere.

ARGH! Where are you finding Vehicons?! i've been searching for weeks, and all my local stores have is about 10 million bumblebees.
Walmar
Target? Bumblebee

I'm in the same boat here. Bees everywhere!

I prefer the detail and colors of Giant then Hercules. The plus also is that Giant is only $350 to Hercules $600. Anybody know how tall Hercules is to Giant.

Hey will most likely make a new Grimlock in the correct scale.

What makes you think so?

I doubt it very much, actually. Megatron is one thing, but Grim's "good enough" I bet, especially considering the G1 toy was actually a bit smaller than Prime, too.

Actually, MP10 looks more like the 1980s cartoon. An Optimus prime with a comic book design would be something like the revoltech Optimus prime which I also have. The MP01 (and faith leader which copies it) is more of a homage to the original blocky G1 toys (which is also a cool thing).

All in all I think MP01 looks like a cross between the cartoon prime and the G1 toy whereas MP10 looks the most cartoon accurate with its heroic cartoon character proportions.

As for the use of the term outdated, yes, MP01 (and by extension faith leader) is simply outdated. The same way the G1 toy is now outdated in the sense that there is an upgraded and improved version available. The MP10 robot mode looks more like the cartoon character and has a far more pleasing truck mode.

MP01's robot mode has that G1 blocky homage going on but the truck mode was compromised in order to have the nicer robot mode. With MP10, they managed to create a fantastic robot mode with a fantastic truck mode.

So yes. The faith leader is a copy of an outdated design.

As for looking out of place in a masterpiece lineup, Grimlock is just a screw up by takara. When Grimlock came out, takara said this was the new size for MPs from here on out. But when they released rodimus, they forgot about scaling him to Grimlock. And thank goodness. Otherwise Optimus, red alert etc would be tiny. I really think Gimlock is just an anomaly and will look nice alongside chugs and faith leader.

But for MPs, MP10 is the only way to go particularly when they release Ultra Magnus.

Although it you intend to assemble your own G1 team using third party stuff like igears ratchet and iron hide, as well as the chugs, then faith leader may not be a bad idea so long as you're nt particularly picky about scale and you really like the G1 toy blocky goodness.

For starters, tell me exactly how MP01's design is "outdated"? The proportions look WAY more like the G1 cartoon Prime and articulation is the same as far as I can tell - better in some respects (he can sit down).

Now, I don't have MP-10 yet, so I can't make a full comparison, but it seems obvious to me that MP-10 has a stylized, anime thing going on whereas the MP-01 design is more accurate to the old cartoon. Hey, if you like a contemporary comic-book look better, that's your opinion, but I'd rather have it look like the '80s original.

MP-10 sticks out like a sore thumb if you've got him anywhere near Grimlock, but I can tell you from first-hand experience (i.e. I own one) that Faith Leader looks great with both the Seekers and Grimlock. I have no doubt that he'll look great with MP Soundwave, Sideswipe and Red Alert too.

Last edited:
What makes you think so?

I doubt it very much, actually. Megatron is one thing, but Grim's "good enough" I bet, especially considering the G1 toy was actually a bit smaller than Prime, too.

Haven't you heard? Takara are now going to make every single G1 character in scale with MP10. The fact they've made some new molds is a clear indication :wink1:

My sources tell me the new Grimlock will be 1 inch taller than the original and have 2 extra teeth in dino mode.

MP Bumblebee & Jazz are also a cert despite the Volkswagen and Porsche brands being associated with the regime of jolly old Adolf and they're even making an Astrotrain that has '86 movie proportions....sometimes you'll pick it up and TFC's Hercules will be able to stand in the back of it and other times you won't be able to fit a Minibot inside :lol

I pre-ordered MP Red Alert yesterday which brings my official TF spending for 2012 to a close.

I also pre-ordered iGear's Brawn so I'm just waiting for the pre-orders for iGear Cogz ( Gears ) and MMC's Sixshot and my 3rd party purchases will be done too....quite a cheap year this one.

Last edited:
I'm with DPrime on this Optimus discussion. Though neither seems 100% accurate to the cartoon, MP-01 looks closer than MP-10 to my eyes. He's got more of the spirit of the cartoon Prime, which was stocky, and sturdy looking. MP-10 looks more inspired by those comics from a few years back (or maybe even some old promotional art of Optimus), since he's more dynamic and not as blocky. He almost looks like a teenage version of Optimus, who would be more spry but less sure-footed (literally). The smaller thighs and head probably play a role there. I also don't think the design is outdated as I think MP-01 is a lot more aesthetically pleasing. The truck mode looks better on MP-10, but who is actually gonna pose Optimus that way for very long? I'll pick up U.S. MP-10, but I figure "Faith Leader" will be my main display version of Optimus.

Comparison pics:

Optimuscybertron.jpg

MP10-Masterpiece-Convoy-Version-2-01_1308291047.jpg

3499984154_2c7ed19bac_b.jpg

Walmar
Target? Bumblebee

there is a walmart and target i hit up on the way to work about 730/8 am. there is another walmart on the way that has not restocked prime stuff in a while. they have like 6 optimus and 8 bumblebees.

Haven't you heard? Takara are now going to make every single G1 character in scale with MP10. The fact they've made some new molds is a clear indication :wink1:

My sources tell me the new Grimlock will be 1 inch taller than the original and have 2 extra teeth in dino mode.

Is this concrete about a re-issue of a re-scaled Grimlock or just fanboy speculation??

I'm on the verge of picking up Hasbro Grimlock so I could do with an answer someone?! ;) Lol

Is this concrete about a re-issue of a re-scaled Grimlock or just fanboy speculation??

I'm on the verge of picking up Hasbro Grimlock so I could do with an answer someone?! ;) Lol

It's complete bollocks, hence the subtle sarcasm in my last post :wink1:

Ever since the new MP molds were revealed there's been a lot of fans that now seem to be taking it for granted that Takara will definitely be making all the 80's Autobot cars, a new Grimlock and all manner of other things in the MP line which is jumping the gun to say the least.

With TF4 on the horizon most of Takara's development budget will likely be focused on Deluxe Bumblebee figures and I really can't see any more all new MP molds until they've milked the newest ones as much as they can eg,

MP10 = Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Nemesis Prime
MP11 = Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Sunstorm, Ghost Starscream
MP12 = Sideswipe, G2 Sideswipe, Sunstreaker ( really hope not as he should be a seperate mold )
MP13 = Soundwave, Soundblaster plus Laserbeak/Buzzsaw & Rumble/Frenzy

Last edited:
As someone who owns 3 versions of MP-01 I have to say I love the look of MP-10. Sure is it as chunky/GEEWUN as MP-01, no. But I love the idealized sleek look of MP-10. More or less a modern take on the Prime aesthetic.

That's a pretty decent size then for Giant then. I think that $350 is a better deal then Hercules.

Depends, Gian's bots are Scout sized.
Herc's Individual bots are Large deluxe to Voyager sized.
so it just depends on how you look at it.

there is a walmart and target i hit up on the way to work about 730/8 am. there is another walmart on the way that has not restocked prime stuff in a while. they have like 6 optimus and 8 bumblebees.

Makes me feel a LITTLE better, but still. ugh. Why I no can find any Vehicons.

Back