Asmus Toys: Devil May Cry 1 - 1/6 Dante

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a baby lol.

I guess DMCV will be the only Dante where they actually get super close to the likeness since the character's face is modeled after a real person anyway. All of the other game figures looks like Asmus trying to blend the anime-ish videogame models with realism and they look odd.

Woof - the color of the clothes seems off, I dont like that they chose cloth as the outfit material when in game it has a sheen like leather or vinyl or something
and the face is...... yeah.
Completely agree with @Scentless Apprentice and think they should have just done the DMC1 Dante Mod for DMC5 - its the best of both worlds.

The lips were certainly a choice.
IMG_3079.jpeg

Yeah I don’t know what they used as reference. I even looked at peak of combat models to see if that was it but it doesn’t appear to be the case.

1721969050236.png
1721969065214.png

I expect they referenced Monster Hunter's collab outfit.

And recently, there have been many problems with the leather quality of Asmus,
so I think the leather may have been changed to cloth as well.

They didn't value DMC's originality much, as they used to.

524263-IMG-3077-2.jpg

GOD CAPCOM, HELP US

Last edited:
Doesn't DMC1 Dante look like RE4 Leon with white hair? He's looking quite young and emancipated here.

Looking at the picture again, it seems like they made the clothes too big for Asmus standard body. I wonder if POPToys are still the main clothes designer for this because it's a huge miss.

Last edited:
I think my first comment was a bit harsh, so to put it in less harsh terms: If the final version looks like this, I will be passing.

The head quality does seem to be in line with Asmus figures when they don't have a 3D game file to directly rip from, which is unfortunate. I'm ok with the fabric choice due to the reduced chance of degradation. I have no idea what is going on with the body size and clothing size though. He's no body builder in DMC1, but certainly not thin.

Last edited:
I've told this story before but back around 2010 or so I was working with a company putting together a DMC1 Dante. Capcom insisted on the likeness, and showed us a Kotobukiya statue as an example of something they approved. I can't find it now. If I recall correctly, it was a Dante sitting on a throne. But basically, they wanted us to make a version that was more stylized, like a Medicom RAH figure with an anime-ish face, and we didn't want to do that.

So, I'm not terribly surprised that this version didn't turn out the way people wanted.

I've told this story before but back around 2010 or so I was working with a company putting together a DMC1 Dante. Capcom insisted on the likeness, and showed us a Kotobukiya statue as an example of something they approved. I can't find it now. If I recall correctly, it was a Dante sitting on a throne. But basically, they wanted us to make a version that was more stylized, like a Medicom RAH figure with an anime-ish face, and we didn't want to do that.

So, I'm not terribly surprised that this version didn't turn out the way people wanted.
20240103_125506.jpg

You mean this?

This is not made by Kotobukiya.
It is made by YAMATO.

This look for Dante has always been a favorite of mine, though ive never played the games before.

What I see here is a figure that is lacking, but would be a fun project to make better. Body swap, undershirt swap, dye clothing deeper red.

Thus I have now just purchased the HD trilogy and will give it a try.

This look for Dante has always been a favorite of mine, though ive never played the games before.

What I see here is a figure that is lacking, but would be a fun project to make better. Body swap, undershirt swap, dye clothing deeper red.

Thus I have now just purchased the HD trilogy and will give it a try.
DMC1 is by far my favourite. The combat is painfully dated now, but it blew my mind in 2001. I remember my friend randomly bringing the game to college one day and saying "You should try this out" with no further information. I began playing it that weekend and oh man, that feeling when the first marionettes drop into the scene and the battle theme plays for the first time is unforgettable for me. I was utterly obsessed with the music, gothic tone, Dante himself and the combat and would not put the game down. I can't imagine how it would feel to play it now for the first time, but it was incredible stuff back then.

It saddens me that I'll likely never get a decent representation of my favourite character design for Dante in my collection. The concept for the HMO statue was incredible, but the face drove me crazy, so I had to sell it.

DMC1 is by far my favourite. The combat is painfully dated now, but it blew my mind in 2001. I remember my friend randomly bringing the game to college one day and saying "You should try this out" with no further information. I began playing it that weekend and oh man, that feeling when the first marionettes drop into the scene and the battle theme plays for the first time is unforgettable for me. I was utterly obsessed with the music, gothic tone, Dante himself and the combat and would not put the game down. I can't imagine how it would feel to play it now for the first time, but it was incredible stuff back then.

It saddens me that I'll likely never get a decent representation of my favourite character design for Dante in my collection. The concept for the HMO statue was incredible, but the face drove me crazy, so I had to sell it.

I welcome old games. Im playing the original Ninja Gaiden at the moment. If there's style and the game looks badass artistically, I'm all in.

When I was 13, I remember showing DMC2's music video on Mnet.

So, the first DMC I played was 2.
It started with the worst series, not to mention after that lol

DMC1 is still, and will be, the best game of my life.

Back