Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All that braided hair before the Crown Series even existed, and long before InArt was a twinkle in Viper's eye or Artisan was a reactionary hissy fit from an ego-bruised chump.

You got the updated chainmail as well.

Doubt mine can do a knee-up pose with the thick rubber they use on V1s.

All that braided hair before the Crown Series even existed, and long before InArt was a twinkle in Viper's eye or Artisan was a reactionary hissy fit from an ego-bruised chump.

You got the updated chainmail as well.

Doubt mine can do a knee-up pose with the thick rubber they use on V1s.
He holds his own next to IA Gandalf for sure. I didn’t even know they changed the way they did the chainmail. Glad I got the updated one then.

He holds his own next to IA Gandalf for sure. I didn’t even know they changed the way they did the chainmail. Glad I got the updated one then.
Here’s my chainmail.
Pretty sure this is the first version, then there was a plastic downgrade v2 in later batches before ultimately landing on what you’ve got, which looks like a soft material in the vain of Helm’s Deep Aragorn’s chainmail.
IMG_1971.jpeg

IMG_1972.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s my chainmail.
Pretty sure this is the first version, then there was a plastic downgrade v2 in later batches before ultimately landing on what you’ve got, which looks like a soft material in the vain of Helm’s Deep Aragorn’s chainmail.
It’s a black fabric with a metallic type material on it to mimic chainmail. Not the greatest way to do it since it sheds tiny, silver bits as you pose him. Better than rigid plastic I’m guessing though.

Overly dramatic SIGH. Asmus could have been so much better and Gimli is proof of that. If only they had put as much effort n to all their figures as they did Gimli. Will InArts be better? Oh I’m sure. I just know myself, and I would have been happy with the Asmus one and saved some money.

They had some real winners and some not so much. If only they would have put their best artist doing the Aragorn sculpt instead of their CEO wanting to do it because it was a dream of his. Me personally? I wouldn’t even be buying the InArt figure if Asmus would have just gotten a bit closer

Overly dramatic SIGH. Asmus could have been so much better and Gimli is proof of that. If only they had put as much effort n to all their figures as they did Gimli. Will InArts be better? Oh I’m sure. I just know myself, and I would have been happy with the Asmus one and saved some money.

They had some real winners and some not so much. If only they would have put their best artist doing the Aragorn sculpt instead of their CEO wanting to do it because it was a dream of his. Me personally? I wouldn’t even be buying the InArt figure if Asmus would have just gotten a bit closer
Since Aragorn isn't a favorite of mine, if I had a Ranger Aragorn I'd have left it at that. I like Aragorn's ASMUS base too.

And I'm less blown away than some by InArt including their costuming. Which isn't saying InArt is bad, but it's hard to comment anyway since I don't have InArt's Aragorn in hand.

TBH tho ASMUS' Thorin is superb for the price point - like, sure, you could custom upgrade him even more and if InArt makes him I'll pick that one up too; but at least ASMUS does great work AND they actually deliver figures into production. :monkey3

I've got no reason to get another Gimli since I own 2 of ASMUS and am content. I get why ASMUS did the armor the way they did (which they explained on their FB way back). WETA's dwarf armor isn't all that easy. Like, if I wanted to do a battle Thorin, his armor links were apparently diamond shaped, not round. At scale, that's a pain, I don't know of any 2-3mm bulk chain made that way. Which would mean making the links yourself.

Maybe one day I'll tinker with Gimli's armor.

Back