Beetlejuice 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the movie was... decent. Started kinda slow and a lot of the jokes and new characters didn't really work, but the second half seemed to do a much better job recapturing the energy of the original. And it was definitely fun watching Keaton ham it up again as Beetlejuice.

Probably not something I'll be seeing again anytime soon, but it's still one of the better "legacy sequels" we've gotten recently.

I've never heard the term legacy sequel before this movie but now I've seen it used a few times. Did that just mean a sequel many years after an original? Or that's its really derivative of something? Both?

I've never heard the term legacy sequel before this movie but now I've seen it used a few times. Did that just mean a sequel many years after an original? Or that's its really derivative of something? Both?

A legacy sequel takes many years to be made and often stars beloved original characters

legacy sequel is a work that follows the continuity of the original work, but takes place further along the timeline, often focusing on new characters

Just got back from watching the film.

The film was underwhelming. I think I'll end up liking it much more once I see it a few times on tv. It's not as good as the first film, but I think it might have replay value down the line.

This film is what it must be like to watch Iron Maiden, The Rolling Stones, Guns N Roses or any of those old past their prime bands in 2024. It's just alright. Visually, it's a good-looking film, with a lot of nice practical effects. The afterlife scenes are the most interesting.

The film felt flat, uninspired even. My boy BJ, he's just not the same anymore. There are glimpses of the old energetic, Looney Tunes like BJ from 1988, but for the majority of the film, he just doesn't have that spark. The editing helps to give the illusion at times that he moves like a cartoon, coming in and out of frame. I don't think the writing was good, so that didn't help either. Having said that, I think this film could have used a bit more BJ. His scenes are mostly good.

I think the best way to put it, the first film does everything better. Even the climax, and the buildup to Lidia unleashing BJ at the end and the entire wedding sequence that follows was done much better in the original.

As for the rest of the cast, Jena Ortega is cute, and a good actress. She was good in the role, as someone who doesn't believe in ghosts.

Winona spent the whole film scared or surprised. She didn't feel like an older version of her original character, but they do mention it in the film, so that was on purpose it seems.

Catherine O'Hara felt like the same character from the first film, but she didn't have a lot to work with in the film.

Justin Theroux was pretty good in a role that I'm not sure it was necessary

Willem Dafoe and Monica Belluci are good as well, but their characters and subplots are completely unnecessary and add nothing to the plot, other than somewhat entertaining scenes.

One thing I'll give the movie, there are several subplots that could have been dramatic or "emotional", and they chose not to do that at all. Death in this film is not taken too seriously, so most of it is played for laughs or morbidly humorous.

6/10
I have seen Iron Maiden more times than I can count in my life.....

But the last tour was one of their best ever.....

I liked it. I thought it was cute and fun.

The original was an incredibly weird movie. It never took itself seriously, and neither does this one. I think the first one feels more timeless; this one seems more concerned with the real world and being contemporary.

I liked seeing Danny DeVito in a Burton film again. And again, with nasty crap oozing out of his mouth!

I actually laughed out loud when he punted the baby. I don't know why I liked that so much.

Also liked The Juice performing Richard Marx!

In the kid's attic, the song "Svefn-g-englar" by Sigur Ros is playing. One of my all time favorites. I also liked the musical sequence in the climax.

It was predictable, but in this case, who cares? This is just a light-hearted romp. It did what it was supposed to, as far as I'm concerned.

My biggest gripe: why the hell not have Jeffrey Jones in the movie? His likeness was all over it. If you say "oh we can't have him in the movie cause he's a registered sex offender" then why feature his likeness in so much of the movie?

I also thought that was weird. The claymation style reenactment looked spot on, and they appeared to use his actual face on his tombstone. Plus, his character was treated very well apart from the absurd death. It almost felt like they were forced to keep him out but didn't really want to.

I actually laughed out loud when he punted the baby. I don't know why I liked that so much.

I do.

actorindie-coy.gif

I also thought that was weird. The claymation style reenactment looked spot on, and they appeared to use his actual face on his tombstone. Plus, his character was treated very well apart from the absurd death. It almost felt like they were forced to keep him out but didn't really want to.
Yeah it was surprising how much he featured in this movie, when the character was never all that pivotal in the original. And if anything I found it a bit distracting that so much of the story revolved around him even as they had to go through such pains not to use the actor.

personally I'm glad they kept him. the character. I'm very happy. I'm glad they didn't ignore his existence.

about this movie. I liked some parts of it a lot. I really love a lot of parts of it
but I really hated some parts of it. I really really hated some subplots. I loved bettlejuice. I loved bob. I loved Lydia.
if I watch it again there are parts I'll have to skip

I feel the only way Hollywood can keep milking the 80's is by combining franchises next...

I suggest this Action/Buddy-Buddy: Beetlejuice meets the T-800

buddy-buddy.jpg

What could be a better pairing?

Beetlejuice: say my name 3 times.
T-800: Why?
Beetlejuice: Just... SAY IT!
T-800: Why...?

I feel the only way Hollywood can keep milking the 80's is by combining franchises next...

View attachment 725580

Ghostbuster vs Beetlejuice would have been a good idea...or a terrible idea worth watching.

View attachment 725580

I know now why you shake, shake, shake, señora.

But it is something I can never do…

Deleted the AI discussion, as that went on for far too long. Keep it about the movie, fellas :lecture

Back