Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Denis Villeneuve to direct new Blade Runner film

So, like.....make the leads big in the center - with guns! -, the support smaller, below them....and that blue/orange scheme from all those other posters.

Someone got paid for that piece of ****. :lol

There's a meme I haven't been able to figure out, that's been happening forever, the orange/blue color palette in stuff.

Contrast. If you look at a color scheme wheel, blue and orange/yellow are usually on opposite sides.

I've seen films use that too, like the film Traffic, as well as certain scenes in other movies, like Drive, during the elevator scene, which has Gosling in a yellowish/orange elevator, and the girl is outside wearing blue, and the background also has a bluish color.

Contrast. If you look at a color scheme wheel, blue and orange/yellow are usually on opposite sides.

I've seen films use that too, like Traffic and certain scenes in movies, like Drive, during the elevator scene, which has Gosling in an yellowish/orange elevator, and the girl is out side wearing blue, and the background also has a bluish color.

Yeah yeah, but my question is, why always that one? It's the single most used combination out there.

Is it because Hollywood is a e s t h e t i c?

Yeah yeah, but my question is, why always that one? It's the single most used combination out there.

Is it because Hollywood is a e s t h e t i c?

I told you, contrast. I once read an article about the use of color, and one of the theories was that a human's skin color usually falls in the tan/yellow/orange/brownish color scheme and with the rise of digital color grading, it made sense that if you enhance those light yellowish/brown colors/ earth colors, then there should be some kind of contrast, which is the color blue, or shades of blue.

Or maybe it's just a dumb trend. Someone did it and it looked cool, and then everyone else copied it.

I told you, contrast. I once read an article about the use of color, and one of the theories was that a human's skin color usually falls in the tan/yellow/orange/brownish color scheme and with the rise of digital color grading
That just sounds retarded, but yeah, I had the feeling it would be some color theory stuff like that.

Either that, or related to the emotional response those colors evoke.

Or maybe it's just a dumb trend. Someone did it and it looked cool, and then everyone else copied it.
This is the one that gets my vote.

Snyder doesn't give a ****, he went all orange :lol

batman-v-superman-knightmare-scene-finally-explained.jpg

SYKE
batman-v-superman-nightmare-slice-600x200.jpg

That just sounds retarded, but yeah, I had the feeling it would be some color theory stuff like that.

Either that, or related to the emotional response those colors evoke.

This is the one that gets my vote.

Snyder doesn't give a ****, he went all orange :lol

batman-v-superman-knightmare-scene-finally-explained.jpg

SYKE
batman-v-superman-nightmare-slice-600x200.jpg

One of the first posters I saw using that contrast was The Bourne Identity.

I'm not saying that it started the trend, but I can't remember if there are any posters before 2002 using the B/O contrast.

zLaBbll.jpg

Yeah, I can't remember old movies using it either, even when it was present it wasn't super cranked up, it was natural colors.

410354.jpg

And it's not like only sci-fi/semi-surreal movies are using it, like BR2049 or Mad Max, plenty of non-stylized movies use it too.

Not a complaint or anything, just saying it's noticeable.

I remember GDT talking about the combination if amber and blue light he likes to use on the Blade 2 commentary. I don't think I ever noticed anything like it before then.

Yeah, I can't remember old movies using it either, even when it was present it wasn't super cranked up, it was natural colors.

410354.jpg

And it's not like only sci-fi/semi-surreal movies are using it, like BR2049 or Mad Max, plenty of non-stylized movies use it too.

Could they do that back then? I believe the first movie to use digital color grading was "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

So, like.....make the leads big in the center - with guns! -, the support smaller, below them....and that blue/orange scheme from all those other posters.

Someone got paid for that piece of ****. :lol

Yep, people actually exist who didn't like that awesome poster.

The world is truly on its last legs.

Could they do that back then? I believe the first movie to use digital color grading was "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"
I have no idea, but look, wasted no time.

4844_1.jpg

Btw look, I'm guessing it's article you read, it mentions the skin tones.

https://priceonomics.com/why-every-movie-looks-sort-of-orange-and-blue/

"Unlike other pairs of complementary colors, fiery orange and cool blue are strongly associated with opposing concepts — fire and ice, earth and sky, land and sea, day and night, invested humanism vs. elegant indifference, good old fashioned explosions vs. futuristic science stuff. It's a trope because it's used on purpose, and it does something."

They also say another theory is that it's cheaper to just color everything with one set of colors.

Turns out they're all theories though :lol has nobody thought about asking a photographer or something? I have plenty millennial """photographer""" hipster friends, but somehow I doubt I'll get a decent answer.

I think it's some ilerminaty ****.

Yep, people actually exist who didn't like that awesome poster.

The world is truly on its last legs.

Most reactions I've seen rate it mediocre at best. Maybe the world is remembering that words like "awesome" have definitions, and they should be used appropriately. One could hope it's abuse is on it's equally overused "last legs."

Blade runner short prequel just got released

Orange and blue is ancient ...

Happens to be my favorite color combination. So I always notice it.

I think it harkens back to Westerns -- those large vistas of rust colored deserts against vast blue skies. It's very Americana.

Last edited:

What an awesome shot. ^

410354.jpg

????

Movies have been using color "filters" (for want of a better word) since... color.

Back