Blitzway - Mask of Zorro - Zorro Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of a bummer that the sword sounds a bit tin-like, or something. Also the rubber hat which I wish were cloth. But it is what it is.:dunno

The blade itself is good, like stainless steel. The rest is plastic though, and that knuckle-bow rubbery. That and the fancy crossguard would've looked a lot better in metal.

The hat brim is so pliable you can bend it in and out of shape.

Ironic that the next figures to arrive are Hot Toys' Jawa and Gonk, which are two more figures that a company decided to put the bare minimum effort into.

The blade itself is good, like stainless steel. The rest is plastic though, and that knuckle-bow rubbery. That and the fancy crossguard would've looked a lot better in metal.

The hat brim is so pliable you can bend it in and out of shape.

Ironic that the next figures to arrive are Hot Toys' Jawa and Gonk, which are two more figures that a company decided to put the bare minimum effort into.

The crossguard is plastic????!!!! Oh, man:(:pfft:. Well, OK, some nice stuff can be put out in plastic; but when a description says metal assume the whole sword/knife is metal - maybe with a vinyl/plastic coating on the hilt.

Between that and the hat - and what looks like a plain paint job on the second sculpt - sounds like Blitzway decided to maximize profit. Well, OK, they got me with Zorro. Good to know ahead of time...and in the future will think real hard about anything Blitzway. For me, well executed details to-scale is kinda the point of 1/6 scale - and the price tag. I don't expect custom work but do expect a company to put their back into it, proto to production. Huh.

Maybe from COVID-19 they decided to go the cheaper route on some of the details? I ended up buying it and will probably be more cautious on future blitzway purchases. Ghostbusters were really good imo and shame I missed out on them. Maybe they will do ghostbusters 2 and I?ll have a second chance but I?ll still be cautious since Zorro didn?t turn out the best. Don?t get me wrong Zorro looks cool as long as you don?t touch him and the individual parts.

The crossguard is plastic????!!!! Oh, man:(:pfft:. Well, OK, some nice stuff can be put out in plastic; but when a description says metal assume the whole sword/knife is metal - maybe with a vinyl/plastic coating on the hilt.

Between that and the hat - and what looks like a plain paint job on the second sculpt - sounds like Blitzway decided to maximize profit. Well, OK, they got me with Zorro. Good to know ahead of time...and in the future will think real hard about anything Blitzway. For me, well executed details to-scale is kinda the point of 1/6 scale - and the price tag. I don't expect custom work but do expect a company to put their back into it, proto to production. Huh.

:exactly:

I was wary about them after Winston, Tyler Durden, Hannibal and the car. They used to have a reputation as Hot Toys beaters, but the reality didn't seem to be stacking up.

This is the actual hero rapier from the film:

img5.jpg

Blitzway got the triangle on the blade, which is a nice touch. But that whole fancy crossguard is a more rigid plastic, while the knuckle-bow and the piece the extends over above the blade are that soft rubbery material.

Maybe from COVID-19 they decided to go the cheaper route on some of the details? I ended up buying it and will probably be more cautious on future blitzway purchases. Ghostbusters were really good imo and shame I missed out on them. Maybe they will do ghostbusters 2 and I?ll have a second chance but I?ll still be cautious since Zorro didn?t turn out the best. Don?t get me wrong Zorro looks cool as long as you don?t touch him and the individual parts.

I get the feeling that Zorro is subsidising Blitzway's other ventures, such as ECTO-1 where I think they bit off more than they could chew.

I was looking forward to getting this Zorro, and now that he's finally here I feel deflated.

He's the most disappointing arrival since that awful bait and switch Toys Works Jessica Jones.

Rubber belt; rubber dagger scabbard; rubber sword scabbard straps; bendy rubber knuckle-bow attached to the sword grip; rubber one-piece boots (that limit posing); rubber hat (hence why the brim's often bent in photos); horrible second sculpt; stiff puffy shirt (that I fixed down with electrical tape to prevent it riding up).

The masked sculpt is very effective though.

While it says Blitzway on the box and the stand I can't help but think of Triad's Zorro from 2012. I'm hoping he'll grow on me.

50033149133_b3f138a8f7_o.jpg

50033690591_88f4a8c0ca_o.jpg

50033149093_ea74177e07_o.jpg

I can see why they didn't make the boots out of pleather, as they have such an intricate design. But there's something cheap about the appearance, especially with the painted straps and buckles. I guess you could argue that the less pleather on a figure the more confident you can be of its longevity, but I just get the feeling Blitzway were cutting corners with this one. The way they cut corners with ECTO-1, or with Winston Zeddmore's paintwork, or Hannibal's paintwork for that matter.

I did go back and futz him some more. The shorter sword strap does want to stick out sideways rather than hang. While I was trying that I found a pose I liked:

50033963281_b4fff98e18_o.jpg

There's a limit to what you can do while trying to keep one boot flat on the ground. A two-part boot would literally have added flexibility for some more flamboyant poses.

As I walked away and looked back though, I began to feel better about him.

Good pictures. Thank you for your honest impressions, admittedly it's concerning to hear as this is one of my more anticipated figures. What I garner is that this should have been made better, especially given the price. Nevertheless I still feel some level of excitement for it. Perchance I may have a different experience, but I'll see!

Good pictures. Thank you for your honest impressions, admittedly it's concerning to hear as this is one of my more anticipated figures. What I garner is that this should have been made better, especially given the price. Nevertheless I still feel some level of excitement for it. Perchance I may have a different experience, but I'll see!

Thanks.

Looking back at the promo photos Blitzway used to sell this, I think most of the issues I have with it were already on show. Except Blitzway used lighting and shadow to mask them, and make him appear more high end.

For instance, the shorter sword strap that doesn't hang, plus the cheap plastic clips:

Blitzway Zorro 3.jpg

The dagger scabbard is never shown clearly, and this is the most they showed of it (plus the small images in the final compilation photo):

20190817_161801_000__88067.1590039264.1000.1200.jpg

The second sculpt was always shown with the eyes shadowed, which is the way I found it only looks good. The more shadow the better:

20190817_161801_022__22442.1590039263.1000.1200.jpg

20190817_161801_012__08903.1590039265.1000.1200.jpg

20190817_161801_001__22068.1590039267.1000.1200.jpg

The rubbery hat is even shown bent here (and in the first photo above):

20190817_161801_018__77623.1590039265.1000.1200.jpg

The boots, while partly shadowed, still give off that soft plastic look:

20190817_161801_011__62688.1590039266.1000.1200.jpg

The evidence was largely there, but I must have been looking at the overall image, and that's the key to this figure: look at the overall image he presents, and don't dwell on the shortcomings.

He's not high end, and on a normal day Hot Toys would've used better materials and quality paintwork, but in the right conditions he looks good.

I looked in on him this morning and I was happy to see a little Zorro standing there. The smirk on the masked sculpt adds a lot of character.

Sixth scale Zorros are a rarity, so we pay the price and make do.

2020-06-11
18:44:30
Destination DC arrival,Monroe Township,US

This was my last SpeedPAK tracking update. Ridiculous.

Wow I never noticed before how uneven the brim was in those proto pics. Someone posted these to FB and the brim on his is super flat, which I think makes a world of difference. I'm also liking how cool his Zorro and Indy look together.

FB_IMG_1592922434168.jpg

FB_IMG_1592922473419.jpg
Pics by D Michael P

Thanks.

Looking back at the promo photos Blitzway used to sell this, I think most of the issues I have with it were already on show. Except Blitzway used lighting and shadow to mask them, and make him appear more high end.

For instance, the shorter sword strap that doesn't hang, plus the cheap plastic clips

The evidence was largely there, but I must have been looking at the overall image, and that's the key to this figure: look at the overall image he presents, and don't dwell on the shortcomings.

He's not high end, and on a normal day Hot Toys would've used better materials and quality paintwork, but in the right conditions he looks good.

I looked in on him this morning and I was happy to see a little Zorro standing there. The smirk on the masked sculpt adds a lot of character.

I have a poly statue where the face paint was *unexpected* and less shaded than the proto. I don't paint; but wonder based on your comments if it's the same situation with my statue - e.g. shadowed light kind of shows where PAINT and toning SHOULD have been. Like if you know what you are doing, u could touch up and have a stellar portrait. Certainly with HT's best I have been blown away by the paint jobs at times - just beautiful at it's best. And it's production work, yet.

Seems like Blitzway did the "good enough" job. Do regret the sword isn't ASMUS' quality, or some of the other 1/6 companies. I'll futz and replace what I can when the time comes - like the plastic clips with metal, maybe. As u say tho, at least there's a *reasonable* 1/6 Zorro. Shame Blitzway didn't get tho, that a well done fig can get "fence-sitters" to purchase. Or even purchase two. It's a risk for the company to invest; but IMO better than making future customers wary.:pfft:

Suspect if and when I can find a 1/6 horse I like, it may end up being better quality overall than the fig.:monkey3

Wow I never noticed before how uneven the brim was in those proto pics. Someone posted these to FB and the brim on his is super flat, which I think makes a world of difference. I'm also liking how cool his Zorro and Indy look together.

Gotta admit in these pics he looks really good. Except for me that not-flowy shirt is heading straight for a rinse to see if I can soften up. Also in theory a rinse *might* help with any potential staining, tho usually I don't worry about torso stains.
The "manly hairy chest" comes off reasonable tho.:lol

I have a poly statue where the face paint was *unexpected* and less shaded than the proto. I don't paint; but wonder based on your comments if it's the same situation with my statue - e.g. shadowed light kind of shows where PAINT and toning SHOULD have been. Like if you know what you are doing, u could touch up and have a stellar portrait. Certainly with HT's best I have been blown away by the paint jobs at times - just beautiful at it's best. And it's production work, yet.

I wouldn't know where to start with painting a face to a better standard. The most I've done is attempt to improve a super cheap Hasbro 1/6 Qi'ra.

The quick solution would be to set up a little LED lamp over the figure to produce the shadows for real.

Sassafras said:
Seems like Blitzway did the "good enough" job. Do regret the sword isn't ASMUS' quality, or some of the other 1/6 companies. I'll futz and replace what I can when the time comes - like the plastic clips with metal, maybe. As u say tho, at least there's a *reasonable* 1/6 Zorro. Shame Blitzway didn't get tho, that a well done fig can get "fence-sitters" to purchase. Or even purchase two. It's a risk for the company to invest; but IMO better than making future customers wary.:pfft:

Suspect if and when I can find a 1/6 horse I like, it may end up being better quality overall than the fig.:monkey3

Gotta admit in these pics he looks really good. Except for me that not-flowy shirt is heading straight for a rinse to see if I can soften up. Also in theory a rinse *might* help with any potential staining, tho usually I don't worry about torso stains.
The "manly hairy chest" comes off reasonable tho.:lol

The lower half of his torso, below the opening of his shirt, comes wrapped in clear plastic, so this must've been a concern for Blitzway. But not the chest, or the neck as Hot Toys do. So it could be the laces that they're protecting the body from.

2020-06-11
18:44:30
Destination DC arrival,Monroe Township,US

This was my last SpeedPAK tracking update. Ridiculous.
Yeah I'm there with you. Should have kept my order with sideshow. Would have saved money and not deal with this horrible tracking.

Yeah I'm there with you. Should have kept my order with sideshow. Would have saved money and not deal with this horrible tracking.

Huh. I used Sideshow - UPS for an ASMUS Witch King. Tracking showed it was supposed to be in Friday. Nothing shows up; tracking changes to - no arrival date, basically. Try to call UPS after 48 hours and no phone service at all, because of Covid.

Nothing changed re tracking today. Apparently with UPS there are disruptions from both Covid and protests. Weirdly I get Amazon and Target orders tho. Am contacting Sideshow - maybe THEY can get on UPS. If local UPS offices are completely shut down, they could at least tell customers.

Huh. I used Sideshow - UPS for an ASMUS Witch King. Tracking showed it was supposed to be in Friday. Nothing shows up; tracking changes to - no arrival date, basically. Try to call UPS after 48 hours and no phone service at all, because of Covid.

Nothing changed re tracking today. Apparently with UPS there are disruptions from both Covid and protests. Weirdly I get Amazon and Target orders tho. Am contacting Sideshow - maybe THEY can get on UPS. If local UPS offices are completely shut down, they could at least tell customers.
Yeah though Covid is still happening some places ship items with no trouble. Sideshow does get their stuff to people without issue. Seriously think that maybe this figure is cursed at this point.

Thanks.

For instance, the shorter sword strap that doesn't hang, plus the cheap plastic clips:

View attachment 488279

The dagger scabbard is never shown clearly, and this is the most they showed of it (plus the small images in the final compilation photo):

20190817_161801_000__88067.1590039264.1000.1200.jpg

The second sculpt was always shown with the eyes shadowed, which is the way I found it only looks good. The more shadow the better:

20190817_161801_022__22442.1590039263.1000.1200.jpg

20190817_161801_012__08903.1590039265.1000.1200.jpg

20190817_161801_001__22068.1590039267.1000.1200.jpg

The rubbery hat is even shown bent here (and in the first photo above):

20190817_161801_018__77623.1590039265.1000.1200.jpg

The boots, while partly shadowed, still give off that soft plastic look:

20190817_161801_011__62688.1590039266.1000.1200.jpg

:goodpost: Ahh good observations! I wonder how QMX would have done if they'd gotten Zorro. The slightly warped hat doesn't bother me, as some hats in real life warp too, plus I'd imagine with Zorro's battles and scuffles his hat would be so.

:gah: :pfft: :dunno :impatient:

I'm guessing you didn't get a local tracking number either?

If you order something on Ebay that comes by SpeedPAK, Ebay's tracking updates at some point to show a new tracking number that you can track with your local postal system, e.g., Royal Mail, USPS.

With that you can see a lot more detail and get an idea what's happening. It would've saved me a lot of stress reading "Successfully delivered" when delivery hadn't even been attempted.

I found out you can request the local tracking number by emailing Orange Connex: [email protected]

When the parcel looked lost on Monday I contacted them, and early this morning they replied with the number. A bit late as I drove out on Monday on the chance of locating it, but at least they did come back with the information and a polite message.

:goodpost: Ahh good observations! I wonder how QMX would have done if they'd gotten Zorro. The slightly warped hat doesn't bother me, as some hats in real life warp too, plus I'd imagine with Zorro's battles and scuffles his hat would be so.

It's so soft you can straighten it quite easily. But it also means you can bend it quite easily by accident.

I imagine Hot Toys would've made the hat similar to the '89 Joker, Toys Power's 'V', or Asmus' Mask: lightly flocked thin plastic. They could've added the pattern as a thin plastic overlay.

Blitzway took the easy route.

Wonder how many of these they actually sold? And whether he was ever close to being axed like their Cutthroat Island Morgan?

I'm guessing you didn't get a local tracking number either?

If you order something on Ebay that comes by SpeedPAK, Ebay's tracking updates at some point to show a new tracking number that you can track with your local postal system, e.g., Royal Mail, USPS.

With that you can see a lot more detail and get an idea what's happening. It would've saved me a lot of stress reading "Successfully delivered" when delivery hadn't even been attempted.

I found out you can request the local tracking number by emailing Orange Connex: [email protected]

When the parcel looked lost on Monday I contacted them, and early this morning they replied with the number. A bit late as I drove out on Monday on the chance of locating it, but at least they did come back with the information and a polite message.

It's so soft you can straighten it quite easily. But it also means you can bend it quite easily by accident.

I imagine Hot Toys would've made the hat similar to the '89 Joker, Toys Power's 'V', or Asmus' Mask: lightly flocked thin plastic. They could've added the pattern as a thin plastic overlay.

Blitzway took the easy route.

Wonder how many of these they actually sold? And whether he was ever close to being axed like their Cutthroat Island Morgan?

Looking for more reviews seems like the fig is offered everywhere, around the world. But - 'course some folks will wait for in-hand reviews. Dunno that they would axe Zorro as it's an iconic character, and the movie was a success. Not sure how many know Cuttthroat Island?

Zorro arrived today. Thank you for all your advice in how to futz with him. I added the double side tape to his torso to pull the shirt down and that had a profound impact on his look. I too wish they would have gone with leather boots and metal on the belt, I looked over my old Triad Zorro and he has both, but all in all I'm happy with him (I'm tempted to switch the boots over from the Triad figure).

I actually don't mind the alternate head, but I did figure out what's bugging me. I would have preferred if they had made him in his party fop disguise with mustache and slight beard. That would have made it easier to put together that look down the road. Maybe it won't be so hard to paint them on. I dunno.

I'm suprised he didn't come with a whip holder, I ended up looping it over his knife sheath. I'm tempted to see if mfisher can make one. His work on Indy gear is bar none.

Don Alejandro is gonna need a horse so it's off to look for a Tornado. I'd love to see what you guys find in regards to that.
271f4b59e2a477b652ec39a26d8309cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quite often it's 1/6 figures that inspire me to read up on things.

In earlier comments I referred to Zorro's sword as a smallsword, but I wasn't sure that was correct as it's also been referred to as a rapier.

I've since watched a number of scholagladiatoria's Youtube videos in which he describes the differences between types of swords.

Turns out that it's a rapier blade with a smallsword hilt. A rapier is double-edged for both cut and thrust, whereas a smallsword has a triangular cross section like an epee (as with the V for Vendetta figure) designed for thrusting, and generally without any cutting ability.

Zorro's rapier, however, has a smallsword hilt, with the characteristic double-shell guard, quillon and knuckle-bow. Rapiers had a guard constructed of a complex of rings, which later developed into a cup as on an epee.

A smallsword was a light gentleman's weapon for duelling and defence, really only good for combating another smallsword. They weighed around 1 lb or less.

A rapier was longer and much heavier, weighing roughly 2.5 lbs.

scholagladiatoria also reviews weapons and sword fights from films, and happened to do a video for The Legend of Zorro:

Back