Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a convenient list anywhere that shows the available and upcoming titles on HD-DVD, Blu-Ray or BOTH??

Searching on Amazon is the suck.

Thanks!

they also review new releases when they come out.
https://www.highdefdigest.com/

Cool, I've been looking for someplace that has a HD movie release list. Eh, not too many HD DVD movies I'm interested in other than Transformers, Superman Returns re-release, Top Gun, and the Jack Ryan Collection. Strange that the Indy Trilogy isn't listed, I thought it was suppose to be coming to HD DVD? I've already got The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and Batman Begins on the way from Amazon.

Blue-Ray on the other hand, has some killer titles I wish were on HD :monkey2:

POTC Trilogy
Master and Commander
Robocop
Spiderman Trilogy
Die Hard Trilogy
Commando
Crimson Tide

Cool, I've been looking for someplace that has a HD movie release list. Eh, not too many HD DVD movies I'm interested in other than Transformers, Superman Returns re-release, Top Gun, and the Jack Ryan Collection. Strange that the Indy Trilogy isn't listed, I thought it was suppose to be coming to HD DVD? I've already got The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and Batman Begins on the way from Amazon.

Blue-Ray on the other hand, has some killer titles I wish were on HD :monkey2:

POTC Trilogy
Master and Commander
Robocop
Spiderman Trilogy
Die Hard Trilogy
Commando
Crimson Tide

Indiana Jones won't be HD DVD exclusive since the Paramount deal excludes Spielberg, but I bet you can expect them to br released sometime next year on both formats of course. Also, I'm not sure where you live, but Crimson Tide hasn't been announced for the U.S. but is avalable in Europe. Also, Commando isn't OFFICIALLY out either. It was to be released a few months ago by FOX, but then the whole fiasco where the HD codecs were cracked halted all FOX movie releases. Somehow, a few copies of Commando did sneak out to the public, and can be bought on ebay... for the big bucks of course.

EDIT: Also, another good site for HD movie reviews is dvdtalk.com which also covers DVD reviews as well. That and highdefdigest is always where I go for reviews.

Indiana Jones won't be HD DVD exclusive since the Paramount deal excludes Spielberg, but I bet you can expect them to br released sometime next year on both formats of course. Also, I'm not sure where you live, but Crimson Tide hasn't been announced for the U.S. but is avalable in Europe. Also, Commando isn't OFFICIALLY out either. It was to be released a few months ago by FOX, but then the whole fiasco where the HD codecs were cracked halted all FOX movie releases. Somehow, a few copies of Commando did sneak out to the public, and can be bought on ebay... for the big bucks of course.

EDIT: Also, another good site for HD movie reviews is dvdtalk.com which also covers DVD reviews as well. That and highdefdigest is always where I go for reviews.

Cool, thanks for the clarification on Indy. Interesting about the Commando thing. Thanks for the site recommendation, I'll be sure to check it out.

Also, I read somehwere that HD DVD's don't have any region coding, is that true? If it is, that sounds awesome to be able to pick up some foreign titles that might not be available here in the U.S.

and its official.... i just pre-ordered Transformers on HD DVD today. and i also put and order in for Battlestar Galactica on HD DVD for release on December 4th.
2006_08_23_optimus_prime_puppet.jpg

and its official.... i just pre-ordered Transformers on HD DVD today. and i also put and order in for Battlestar Galactica on HD DVD for release on December 4th.

Where did you pre-order? Amazon? I'm tempted to pre-order, but I usually pick up my movies the day their out at Best-Buy or Circuit City. They are usually a few bucks off when they first come out.

Thank goodness I hated that movie. Mwahahaha.

Honestly, I didn't like that movie, but I was considering to get the movie on blu-ray since, well, it would've looked pretty damn good. I can honestly say that the only movie that Paramount put out this year that is making me jealous is Stardust. When I realized I couldn't get that on blu-ray, I shed a tear. I was one of the ten people who saw it and loved it.

As far as I've heard, everyone who has seen Stardust loved it.

Anyways, so to through a wrench into the gears of the HD format war, take a look at this:

https://gizmodo.com/gadgets/threeway/bluray-and-hd-dvd-meet-150-hd-vmd-ml622s-297900.php

It's a new HD format to compete with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, it's HD-VMD, it seems like it's something that uses a technology more like regular DVD's, in fact it uses the same laser which makes the cost much cheaper.

^^wow. seems great, but i think they are too late to join the game. who really knows though. i hope they dont win because that means i'll have to buy a third movie format .:confused:

That format is probably better for the consumer, but they're about a year too late. If they want to stick around then they need to do some really aggressive marketing and get some big studios on their side.

I came across some interesting comments at AVSforum about the differences in yield rate for the two formats (the disc failure rate at the manufacturing/replicating facility):

OK…I’ve heard back from a couple of sources, and also was able to hear from a new one as well. Here is where we are:

Sony’s yields have improved “a bit” this summer and are up to around 50% depending on how much data is on the disc. The more data, the lower the yields, the lower the data, the higher the yield number goes, but 50% is just about max right now (give or take a percentage point or two).

As for independent replicators, there are four “major’s” that are capable of doing BD50’s according to my sources. They are Cinram, Deluxe, Panasonic, & Infodisc. Of these four, one of them (unnamed by the request of my source at that company) is getting yields on BD50’s up there with Sony in the 50% range. The other three can’t get above 10%, but Sony is lending a hand to them to increase their yields. I am assuming they will get things in line based upon the one independent that I referenced above who has been able to increase yields.

An interesting side note to this though is the yields on BD25’s, that are much lower than I thought they would be. Right now, the are hovering in the 60-70% range and are in the same scenario as the BD50’s when it comes to the amount of data on the disc. The lower the amount of data, the higher the yields are. At this point in the game, I would have expected the single layer discs to be much higher than they currently are.

Another thing that should be noted is that Paramount/Dreamworks was using one of the three replicators that couldn’t get the yields up above 10% on BD50’s. Could this have been one of the things that precipitated their move to HD DVD?

So, where does it leave us? For the most part, nothing has changed from what I reported last week, other than there is one major replicator of BD50 discs that have improved yields, but the other three majors can’t get them to work as of yet. These other companies are sending the work to either Sony or the other independent to do their BD50 work, which I’m sure raises their costs (outsourcing while their equipment sits idle…never a good thing in manufacturing). The good news is that the BDA is able to keep up with demand at this time, even with the lower yields and less manufacturing capacity, mainly due to the fact that sales are pretty pathetic on both formats compared to DVD. But with player adoption growing, disc sales growing, and the holiday buying season just around the corner, yield rates could become a much bigger issue the next 6 months.

Now, on to HD DVD: As Amir has stated before, there are literally hundreds of HD DVD production lines that are available in the marketplace. Since it is essentially the same process to make a HD DVD vs. a DVD, the manufacturing process is much easier to implement and yields are a lot higher. Jeff stated some numbers earlier that HD15’s and HD30’s are above 95%, and I can confirm those numbers as well from a couple of well-placed sources. But, I’ve hit a stone wall when it comes to the combo discs, which no one can seem to get the yield numbers on these. My assumption is that they aren’t as high as the HD30 and HD15 numbers since there is the extra process that needs to take place (which Amir has spoken about). Could this be one of the reason’s why “Combos” have been limited to “new releases” only and not on catalog titles? Or, was it that the studio’s (Universal especially) didn’t see the need to use combo’s anymore on the catalog titles because it wasn’t helping sales?

Comparing the two camps on this, HD DVD is in a much better position (from a manufacturing perspective). First, due to the disc thickness, the drying time of the disc making process is 50% shorter. When you throw in that the yields are about twice as high, that means you essentially have a 4-1 advantage in actually making the discs in favor of HD DVD. Again, right now that isn’t a big deal since there aren’t that many discs being pressed, but with wide adoption of both formats, HD DVD will have a manufacturing edge unless yields increase for BD50’s. Even if they can get the yields up to above 95%, they still take longer to make than an HD DVD, so in order to output the same amount of discs they will need to work twice as long or spend extra money on another fabrication line, which just adds to the overall cost.

Well that makes me happy, but I wonder if the Blu-Ray disc issues are a problem with the Blu-Ray burners and media? I haven't seen any HD-DVD burners but I have seen a good number of Blu-Ray burners.

I usually get right on a new format, I'm a bit of a gadget freak. This, though, can you leave you jaded and out of pocket big time.

I'm still holding out for a while, it doesn't really matter who wins the format war, what will hurt people the most is being left with an obsolete machine. I'm interested that LG are releasing a multiformat player. I'm hoping the bigger boys like pioneer follow suit and then the argueing won't matter. I think what people are really afraid of in this 'war' is being out of pocket.

I remember the same thing with sacd and dvd-audio and now a lot of higher end players support both formats as standard.

D:rolleyes:

And just to make things sicker, the tech guys have already perfected and are working on a launch for Super HD - roughly 4 times greater resolution than today's HDTV.:emperor:emperor:emperor

but at the same time....

:chew:chew:chew

D

Philips (dutch company) just presented his new FULL HD television with ambilight and I'm loving it.

42PFL9900D_10_webImage370.jpg

42PFL9900D_10__fw_370.jpg

https://www.aurea.philips.com/Default.aspx?lang=du_nl

Beeld/display
Beeldformaat Breedbeeld
Helderheid 550 cd/m²
Contrastverhouding (normaal) 1200:1
Dynamisch schermcontrast 8000:1
Responstijd (normaal) 3 (BEW-equivalent) ms
Kijkhoek 176º (H)/176º (V)
Schermdiameter (inch) 42 inch
Schermdiameter in centimeters 107 cm
Schermtype Full HD LCD W-UXGA Act. matrix
Schermresolutie 1920 x 1080p
Kleurverwerking 4 triljoen kleuren (14-bits RGB)
Beeldverbetering Perfect Pixel HD Engine , HD Natural Motion , Dynamisch-contrastverbetering , 1080p 50/60 Hz verwerking , 1080p 24/25/30 Hz verwerking , 3:2/2:2 motion pull-down , 3D-combfilter , Active Control met lichtsensor , Onderdrukking van gekartelde lijnen , Progressive Scan , Pulse Killer Chip , Widescreen Plus , 100 Hz Clear LCD
Schermverbetering Scherm met anti-reflectiecoating

Ambilight
Ambilight-functies Ambilight Spectra , Automatisch aanpassen aan video , Lounge-lichtmodus in stand-by
Ambilight-systeem LED, breedbeeld, kleur
Dimmerfunctie Handmatig en via lichtsensor

Ondersteunde beeldschermresolutie
Computerformaten Via HDMI-/DVI-ingang, , 640 x 480, 60 Hz , 800 x 600, 60 Hz , 1024 x 768, 60 Hz , 1280 x 768, 60 Hz , 1360 x 768, 60 Hz , 1920 x 1080i, 60 Hz , 1920 x 1080p, 60 Hz
Videoformaten 480i, 60Hz , 480p, 60Hz , 576i, 50Hz , 576p, 50 Hz , 720p, 50, 60 Hz , 1080i, 50, 60 Hz , 1080p, 24 Hz, 25 Hz, 30 Hz , 1080p, 50 Hz, 60 Hz

Geluid
Uitgangsvermogen (RMS) 2 x12 W
Geluidsverbetering Digitale signaalverwerking , Grafische equalizer , Dynamic Bass Enhancement
Geluidssysteem Virtual Dolby Digital , BBE

That's cool.

One thing to point out, if you buy a standalone HD-DVD player and a standalone Blu-Ray player (or even the PS3) that would still be cheaper than buying the multi-format player. So it's not really worth it unless you really want it all in one box.

Back