Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use mine as a Blu-ray player and hardly ever play games on it. If I want to play games, I have my 360. Resistance was fun, but pretty much every other game out there that I want to play is available on both platforms or exclusively for the 360.

I will be getting Stranglehold for the PS3 because it includes a copy of "Hard Boiled" in high def. I was interested in "Lair" until I discovered that the controls used for flying the dragon are completely motion sensor based with no options for using the standard thumbsticks for movement. The sixaxis control for the New Goblin flight in Spider-Man 3 were extremely awkward and I don't want to play a whole game that way.

Yup, I know a lot of people that are still waiting for that one killer game that will save the PS3. I don't see it coming anytime soon though. I also don't remember the 360 taking this long to produce a killer app. What's going on?

They should just market the PS3 as a blu Ray player and a video game machine second. That way it will be a pleasant surprise that you can play games on it as well as watch movies. See the disappointment fade. :lol

https://www.venturer.com/news-details.aspx?id=15

Venturer HD DVD Player to Ship in Time for 2007 Holiday Sales

Rumor is an MSRP of $200 with a street price of $150.

SHD7000.JPG

Venturer Electronics today announced the launch of its first HD DVD player for the North American market. Responding to strong consumer demand for high definition video playback devices, Venturer will introduce the SHD7000 that offers the superior HD movie experience as defined by the DVD Forum.

Featuring 1080i video output and an HDMI connection, the SHD7000 is designed to be compatible with the vast majority of HDTVs already in North American consumers' homes. With Ethernet connectivity to the network , the SHD7000 also allows users to access bonus features from movie studio web servers and unlock special prerecorded content on some HD DVD discs. Dolby TrueHD rounds out the high definition experience by presenting the HD DVD disc soundtrack as it was meant to be heard, virtually equal to the studio master.
In addition to its HD DVD playback capability, the SHD7000 will upconvert standard DVDs to near HD picture quality via its HDMI connection, allowing a consumer's existing library of DVDs to look better than ever. CD playback is also supported.
The SHD7000 will be distributed in North America by Venturer Electronics of Markham, Ontario, and sold through national retailers with retail prices expected to be one of the lowest among entry-level HD DVD players.
Venturer Electronics, headquartered in Markham, Ontario, offers a wide selection of value-priced, high quality consumer electronics products. Since 1988, Venturer has focused on making the latest technologies affordable to North American consumers.

SHD7000.JPG

Venturer Electronics today announced the launch of its first HD DVD player for the North American market. Responding to strong consumer demand for high definition video playback devices, Venturer will introduce the SHD7000 that offers the superior HD movie experience as defined by the DVD Forum.

Featuring 1080i video output and an HDMI connection, the SHD7000 is designed to be compatible with the vast majority of HDTVs already in North American consumers' homes. With Ethernet connectivity to the network , the SHD7000 also allows users to access bonus features from movie studio web servers and unlock special prerecorded content on some HD DVD discs. Dolby TrueHD rounds out the high definition experience by presenting the HD DVD disc soundtrack as it was meant to be heard, virtually equal to the studio master.
In addition to its HD DVD playback capability, the SHD7000 will upconvert standard DVDs to near HD picture quality via its HDMI connection, allowing a consumer's existing library of DVDs to look better than ever. CD playback is also supported.
The SHD7000 will be distributed in North America by Venturer Electronics of Markham, Ontario, and sold through national retailers with retail prices expected to be one of the lowest among entry-level HD DVD players.
Venturer Electronics, headquartered in Markham, Ontario, offers a wide selection of value-priced, high quality consumer electronics products. Since 1988, Venturer has focused on making the latest technologies affordable to North American consumers.

my only question is: will this be a quality player?? hopefully its a great player that will lead to a surge in sales for HD DVD to shut the Blu Ray club up. if this pans out this will definitely lead to victory in the war. i dont see any of the blu ray players dropping in price to compete with this... sony's already losing too much money on their PS3's as is. now if HD DVD can kick off a free movie promotion with the release of this player it would be a great X-mas indeed.

Yup, I know a lot of people that are still waiting for that one killer game that will save the PS3. I don't see it coming anytime soon though. I also don't remember the 360 taking this long to produce a killer app. What's going on?

They should just market the PS3 as a blu Ray player and a video game machine second. That way it will be a pleasant surprise that you can play games on it as well as watch movies. See the disappointment fade. :lol

Metal Gear Solid will be that game... but its not coming for quite some time. and if konami sells out to go multi-platform. :D

SHD7000.JPG

1080i = booooooooo!!!!!!! :lol

There really isn't even a noticeable difference between 1080i and 1080p...it's all hype. Unless you have a screen the size of your whole wall...which sadly I do not have. :monkey2

Yes there is, the letter :monkey3

Still though, I want full HD, and that's 1080p currently. :chew

And back to my PM, I want your camera :lol

yeah but for $150 can you really be that critical about it??? i think they are just targeting the consumers that arent videophiles and just want to get a good deal on the newest tech. this is cheaper than the freaking 360 add on which, despite what others say i believe is one heck of a bargain at $179. especially with the movie deal you can get right now.

The big deal is which cable you use to connect it. HDMI will allow you to get the most out of your player while component cables don't. Either way, if you can go p then don't look back I say. :lol

Did you PM me? I didn't get a message.:confused:

^^^thats true i hear P is better than I even at 720 it looks better than 1080. doesnt mater to me because i dont have a 1080p set....YET. soon, soon it will be mine.

My TV deinterlaces a 1080i input signal and outputs it in 1080p apparently, so the 1080p source isn't necessary? :monkey5 :confused:

For 1080i every player deinterlaces it, the I stands for interlaced, which makes for more compression and less quality.

1080p is progressive scan, basically each frame completely with minimal compression. So you've got much better quality, but it takes up more room.

And upconverting is a joke, you can resize an image to 1920x1080 but it doesn't increase the quality. Whatever's in the image is all that's there, which is why I hate the cop shows on TV so much because they'll take a crappy surveillance camera footage and tell the guy to zoom in on something then somehow their computers will make the zoomed in image all clear, it's not possible, what's there is all that's there, you can make it seem more natural and make the lines more smooth but it doesn't add more detail like 1080p does.

And remember, when looking at displays, look at the resolution, not the supported formats. There may be a TV that can play 1080i, but then the resolution will be 1366x768 but that's obviously not 1920x1080. When it gives the supported formats all that means is that if the signal was only in 1080i then the TV will be able to play it.

yeah but for $150 can you really be that critical about it??? i think they are just targeting the consumers that arent videophiles and just want to get a good deal on the newest tech. this is cheaper than the freaking 360 add on which, despite what others say i believe is one heck of a bargain at $179. especially with the movie deal you can get right now.

of course i can be critical about it, i'm the consumer. that's our right :lol

j/k. either way, i have a 1080p set so that's why i'm partial.

Back