Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also read somewhere that they've developed HD-DVD discs that can have 50GB of space, although most likely they still need development to make them more reliable, but that would be pretty good if it works out.

I'm still sticking with HD-DVD.

yes sir!!!! HD DVD is where its at. there aren't any movies out that need more space, but when that time comes they can make a 50gb disc. and i think the interactivity will play unique role in the war. anyone here play with the online feature on the 300 disc?? i know on one forum there's an ongoing thread with 30+pages of people posting their movies.

At this point both formats can kiss my *** as far as I'm concerned. I'm not buying into either's bull****. They put the consumer in a bad place by even starting this format war and if they cause hi-def video to slowly languish and die then it's their own fault. I won't buy either one until there is a clear winner, which really sucks because I would love to start buying my DVD's in a hi-def format.

And you know what else? I really am not a fan of the red/blue packaging or the fact that they don't really "fit" with the standard DVD cases. I do like that the cases are smaller and have less wasted space/material (hey it's great for the environment at least), but the translucent blue/red just looks kind of bad. It reminds me of the translucent colored gadget craze that electronics went through.

Although I will say that as far as names go, HD-DVD is a bit more to the point and easily recognizable to the masses as what it is than the words Blu-Ray. But what's really in a name?

Last edited:
Although I will say that as far as names go, HD-DVD is a bit more to the point and easily recognizable to the masses as what it is than the words Blu-Ray. But what's really in a name?

You'd be surprised how many people think HD-DVD his high def, and blu-ray is not (purely based on the name)

You'd be surprised how many people think Blu-Ray is better quality than HD-DVD

And you'd also be surprised of how many people don't know what HD is.

And you'd also be surprised at how many people who have a PS3 or Xbox 360 don't know it's HD.

And you'd also be surprised at how many people with an Xbox 360 have never heard of the Xbox Live Marketplace.

And I'm serious, you would be surprised.

And you'd also be surprised at how many people who have a PS3 or Xbox 360 don't know it's HD.

And you'd also be surprised at how many people with an Xbox 360 have never heard of the Xbox Live Marketplace.

Surprising.

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Industry_Forecasts/Report_Predicts_Blu-ray,_HD_DVD_to_Co-Exist/971

And in other news, just a few weeks after jumping back into the Blu-ray game with some long awaited announcements, Fox has already cancelled the recently announced BR releases of "Master and Commander" and "Amityville Horror." I had the first one preordered through Amazon--looks like I will soon be getting the same e-mail that I received when they cancelled the "Ice Age" and "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" discs. Let's hope that they put these things back on the calendar again ASAP.

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Industry_Forecasts/Report_Predicts_Blu-ray,_HD_DVD_to_Co-Exist/971

And in other news, just a few weeks after jumping back into the Blu-ray game with some long awaited announcements, Fox has already cancelled the recently announced BR releases of "Master and Commander" and "Amityville Horror." I had the first one preordered through Amazon--looks like I will soon be getting the same e-mail that I received when they cancelled the "Ice Age" and "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" discs. Let's hope that they put these things back on the calendar again ASAP.
:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2
I am sad for you Tom.

from my understanding, they cancelled Master and Commander because they were running into some errors when creating the discs. they are planning on releasing it later, once they have fixed the errors.

from www.thedigitalbits.com

"In terms of release news, 20th Century Fox has just informed us that their Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World Blu-ray Disc, which had been set for release on 10/2, has been temporarily delayed. Apparently, during QC, Fox discovered an authoring problem that could cause problems on a small number of Blu-ray players, so they decided to correct it. The studio tells me that they hope to announce the new street date later this week."

Master and Commander is one of the movies that would seriously compel me to purchase a PS3 this holiday season, if the rumored price cuts turn out to be true.

Master and Commander in HD.:drool

Last edited:
It looked and sounded great on standard DVD and I have been looking forward to watching it in high def. My sound system won't let me listen to Fox's DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio, but I am hoping to upgrade it within the next few months.

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but I really think prices are going to be dropping in HD movies soon. I get this feeling with the LOST Season 3 on blu-ray. The price was announced at $125, but Buena Vista announced a cut to $97. Right now its priced at $67 at Amazon, which isn't too bad for that much HD.

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but I really think prices are going to be dropping in HD movies soon. I get this feeling with the LOST Season 3 on blu-ray. The price was announced at $125, but Buena Vista announced a cut to $97. Right now its priced at $67 at Amazon, which isn't too bad for that much HD.

I think that's how much Heroes season 1 is too. That's a pretty good price of a season of HD.

Would I still be surprised if i dont give a ****?

Well, Fox announced Master and Commander is delayed until February 5th. Boo. But they did say it's gonna have a good deal of extras.

SOURCE - GAMESPOT NEWS

Blu-ray/HD-DVD war ending in peaceful co-existence?

When it comes to video format wars, traditionally there has been a winner and a loser. But, if a new report issued by UK-based ****yst firm Screen Digest is to be believed, the conflict raging between Toshiba's HD-DVD and Sony's Blu-ray high-definition video players may end in a stalemate.

Despite Blu-ray players currently outselling HD-DVD devices at a rate of two-to-one, Screen Digest's research indicates that film studios will potentially miss out on $280 million in revenue for 2008. "Blu-ray-exclusive studios Sony, Fox and Disney could miss out on $175m in consumer spending by not publishing their films on HD DVD, although Blu-ray's stronger sales mean that HD-DVD-only supporters are at risk of making the largest individual losses."

Rather than viewing Paramount's recent HD-DVD alignment as an obvious flaw in its argument, Screen Digest thinks the move will have the opposite effect on other studios. "The decision has effectively secured HD-DVD's immediate future, and cleared the way for the other studios that currently support one platform only to move to an agnostic position without being the studio solely responsible for prolonging a format war, or for killing off one of the formats."

Screen Digest concludes that many format-exclusive studios will rethink their strategies in 2008 and come to the conclusion that cashing in on lost sales trumps fueling the platform war. "We believe that eventually most will decide to offer their titles on both HD-DVD and BD in order to maximize their returns," the report concludes.

Category: Bulletin
Posted by TomM_GScom, Sep 19, 2007 5:47 pm PT

Back