Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be fine with me. But it won't happen because at some point people are going to make a choice. If all movies were the same for each format then one will be chosen for price, there's no way that both formats can coexist peacfully. "Neither shall live while the other survives"

I absolutely agree that if all movies were available on both formats that one would eventually lose to the other.

But With Universal/Dreamworks/Paramount not releasing their films on Blu-ray, it simply sounds naive for the BR camp to mouth off about their imminent victory. With the exclusive studio support split, there will ultimately not likely be a victor. Most potential buyers will remain on the sidelines and the two camps (or neutral folks like me) will continue to support both and they will remain niche market items. Everybody seems to be waiting for one side to win and I don't think that's going to happen.

The Blu-ray folks understand that as long as there are two competing formats, they will not obtain the market dominance that they dream of. They seem to expect HD DVD to roll over and die and that's just not happening. They need a reality check if they think that they can dominate the market without 100% of the studio support. Your Blu-ray player won't play Shrek or The Bourne Ultimatum or Transformers and the BR people need to realize that's a big deal to a lot of people. They make a big deal about Spider-Man and Pirates and Cars but somehow seem to fail to realize that the knife of studio exclusivity cuts both ways.

I am in the neutral camp, I own a Blu-Ray player (PS3) and have been thrown into the magical world of High Definition with the purchase of my new TV. Now 'cause of that I want more and I am looking to buy an HD-DVD player as well, not only for exclusive titles like Transformers, but also because an HD-DVD will upconvert my standard DVD's. I could care less about the 'Format War' as long as I keep getting HD goodness, I am happy. :)

By the way, the exclusive deal with Paramount and Dreamworks is only for 1 year, it's possible that after that time they might start releasing stuff in Blu-Ray but I think it's more probably that they'll just extend the deal. At east if it's profitable still.

By the way, the exclusive deal with Paramount and Dreamworks is only for 1 year, it's possible that after that time they might start releasing stuff in Blu-Ray but I think it's more probably that they'll just extend the deal. At east if it's profitable still.

That's interesting. I hadn't heard that--do you have a link?

EDIT: OK, I found some info. Apparantly the time limit is 18 months.

I believe both formats can co-exist and survive, just look at video game systems. There are multipe platforms with exclusive titles as well. There are lots of people that own all platforms that way they can play what they want to. Its been that way for years and you don't hear complaints about it as much as we are about this format war. Every body just needs to go format neutral and buy the movies they want to see and then let the studios decide the war.

I've heard that argument about video game platforms co-exisitng before, but I think DVD's are a slightly different beast. Gaming platforms, while immensely popular, can't come close to the popularity of film. I enjoy video games, but I haven't purchased a system nor played a game since the days of the original playstation, but I love films and have a pretty respectable collection of DVD's.

Now I know I'm just one person, but there are a lot more people who buy DVD's then video games and they aren't interested in having to figure out if this movie will play in their equipment. Video game people are used to that - like you say, it's been that way for years. This is a new issue for film (excluding the whole Beta VHS thing, but that was decades ago, and yes prior to that there were different film formats; 8mm, super8, 16mm etc., but that was much more of a niche market like laser discs). Gamers are pretty avid and they're into their thing. Movies cross over into a much broader spectrum of people - from the hardcore videophiles to most casual of buyers.

Imagine if everytime you went to purchase a CDR you had to check the label to see if it was a CDR+, CDR-, CDR+- and whatever else there is. Yeah it can be done, but it's cumbersome, it's a pain in the ass and it just isn't necessary. Everything should be totally compatable - Macs, Windows, Playstation, Nintendo, DVD's and cellphones. They should all be just like my toaster - plug and play.

This week begins a very crowded fourth quarter for video releases. Here is a list of my current Amazon preorders:

October

2nd—Fantastic Four
9th—Surf’s Up
16th—Transformers
23rd—Meet the Robinsons, Inside Man, The Jack Ryan Collection
30th—Spider-Man Trilogy

November

6th—Cars, Ratatouille, Pixar Shorts
13th—Shrek the Third
20th—Die Hard Collection

December

4th—Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End
11th—Lost: Season Three, Harry Potter Collection, The Bourne Ultimatum
18th—Blade Runner, Simpsons Movie

My beef with the Harry Potter Special Edition with the goofy packaging is that it doesn't jsut come included with the regular cases. Instead, it looks like ya gotta open up the damn thing to get the movies every time. For the sake of the "look" of the collection, I'm just gonna buy each seperately. The packaging just bugs me.

My beef with the Harry Potter Special Edition with the goofy packaging is that it doesn't jsut come included with the regular cases. Instead, it looks like ya gotta open up the damn thing to get the movies every time. For the sake of the "look" of the collection, I'm just gonna buy each seperately. The packaging just bugs me.

yeah that bugged me too. why do that?? i'd rather have the regular boxes inside the special box that way you can have them on the shelf and the special box on display somewhere else.

I just picked up a 37" 1080P TV for my master bedroom ( replacing the 32" 720P TV I had ). Since I have an HD DVD player on the bigscreen in the basement I have been thinking of going with a Blu Ray player in the bedroom so I am covered either way for whoever wins the format war.....if there ever is a winner that is.

I just picked up a 37" 1080P TV for my master bedroom ( replacing the 32" 720P TV I had ). Since I have an HD DVD player on the bigscreen in the basement I have been thinking of going with a Blu Ray player in the bedroom so I am covered either way for whoever wins the format war.....if there ever is a winner that is.

Ready to join the other camp huh? Unless there are some major BR titles that you want to own, I'd wait a while longer. The only good thing about the format war is that players will continue to drop in price.

You order Potter in HD yet?

Back