Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ready to join the other camp huh? Unless there are some major BR titles that you want to own, I'd wait a while longer. The only good thing about the format war is that players will continue to drop in price.

You order Potter in HD yet?

I'll just pick up the Potter HD set when it comes out. I have enough Best Buy reward zone cupons to offset the $$$ difference.

It's not so much that I WANT to join the other camp as much as I just want to be covered and to be honest I don't see an end to the format war anytime soon so I could be waiting ages for the Pirates, Spiderman and other movies to come to HD DVD which they may NEVER do.

I only have HD at the moment, and have both Transformers and Blade Runner on preorder.

:rock :rock

This week begins a very crowded fourth quarter for video releases. Here is a list of my current Amazon preorders:

October

2nd—Fantastic Four
9th—Surf’s Up
16th—Transformers
23rd—Meet the Robinsons, Inside Man, The Jack Ryan Collection
30th—Spider-Man Trilogy

November

6th—Cars, Ratatouille, Pixar Shorts
13th—Shrek the Third
20th—Die Hard Collection

December

4th—Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End
11th—Lost: Season Three, Harry Potter Collection, The Bourne Ultimatum
18th—Blade Runner, Simpsons Movie

Does anyone know if by chance Transformers will come in the HD-DVD/DVD Combo disc?

I'd really like to get it on HD now, but still be able to watch ot on my standard DVD player. I'll be getting an HD player by Christmas.

Aww Damn it!! :(

I saw Knocked Up at Best Buy the other day and it was a Combo, I was kinda hoping Transformers would be too. :monkey2

Yeah, it definitely sucks. For the HD DVD camp, it would've been smart to make it a combo disc and just not release a normal DVD version. That would've made for some good sales.

Yeah, it definitely sucks. For the HD DVD camp, it would've been smart to make it a combo disc and just not release a normal DVD version. That would've made for some good sales.
I'm gonna buy an HD copy regardless, I was just hoping I didn't have to buy a Standard copy in the mean time. I think they should make more titles in the Combo format, it's a smart idea and very versatile.

I'm gonna buy an HD copy regardless, I was just hoping I didn't have to buy a Standard copy in the mean time. I think they should make more titles in the Combo format, it's a smart idea and very versatile.

Yeah, I agree. Like I said, if they would just start releasing movies on an HD DVD combo disc, the HD DVD camp would get a ton of sales, and would most likely end Blu-rays chances of competition.

Either way though, i've ended my Blu-ray support tirade, and am just asking for a HD DVD player for Xmas. That way i'll have both and won't have to complain :D

apparently there are a few issues with combo discs.

1. the price of combo discs are higher than the dvd or the hd dvd counterparts. this may limit sales.

2. there have been many more errors on combo discs vs HD DVDs alone

3. anyone who already has an HD DVD player doesn't need combo discs.

However, i agree for people that haven't jumped to HD yet, buying combo discs would only move you more toward the HD DVD camp. if more discs were out in combo (and at a lower price), there definitely would be a higher movement to HD DVD.

...anyone who already has an HD DVD player doesn't need combo discs.

However, i agree for people that haven't jumped to HD yet, buying combo discs would only move you more toward the HD DVD camp. if more discs were out in combo (and at a lower price), there definitely would be a higher movement to HD DVD.
The reason I like the Combo Disc Idea is this; you could be watching a flick like Transformers at your house, a buddy calls you up and asks you to bring it over, he doesn't have an HD-Player so you pop it into his standard player, booyah. Or, you wanna take Transformers with you on a bus or train trip, bam you can watch it on a portable DVD player. Or if your driving with your kids, you can keep them quiet for about two hours by playing it (if you have one) in the cars entertainment center. Then after all that you can take it home and watch it in all of it's HD goodness.

Or for people like me who don't have an HD player YET, I can watch it on my DVD player 'til I get one. :)

Need a little advice on BR players.

First, I am not buying a PS3 so that's out.

Second I have been reading a lot of reviews on the Sony S300 and S301's and it seems a lot of people are complaining that they freeze up and you have to unplug them and start over. Also they seem to take forever to load a movie and play it.

I fully admit I am looking to pick up something cheaper than $600 as well and have been hunting for a bargon on ebay. These Sony's go for about $480 retail and on ebay for about $300. I am just a little sceptical of them after reading the reviews. Any info on them or other modles that might be a little better?

Last edited:
Need a little advice on BR players.

First, I am not buying a PS3 so that's out.

Seconed I have been reading a lot of reviews on the Sony S300 and S301's and it seems a lot of people are complaining that they freeze up and you have to unplug them and start over. Also they seem to take forever to load a movie and play it.

I fully admit I am looking to pick up something cheaper than $600 as well and have been hunting for a bargon on ebay. These Sony's go for about $480 retail and on ebay for about $300. I am just a little sceptical of them after reading the reviews. Any info on them or other modles that might be a little better?

Your cheapest BR player will be a 20 GB PS3 right now (I got one for under $350). And you never know, Sony may actually release a game worth playing on the system some day :monkey3

Your cheapest BR player will be a 20 GB PS3 right now (I got one for under $350). And you never know, Sony may actually release a game worth playing on the system some day :monkey3

Does it send a full 1080P signal over HDMI?

The PS3 was rated better than Sony's stand alone players in most Blu-ray polls, so I'd go with the PS3. It does send a full 1080p signal, and also does a very nice job of upconverting standard dvds.

I went with a PS3 for my dedicated BD player... Still the best rated BD player avaialble and 1.3 HDMI ready ! A real deal... plus look for the price drop near you !

I went with a PS3 for my dedicated BD player... Still the best rated BD player avaialble and 1.3 HDMI ready ! A real deal... plus look for the price drop near you !

Kit as much as I prefer my 360 over the PS3 it is still an excellent BluRay player. It has a great picture. I don't think you can go wrong with it. I would recommend getting the remote for it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like maybe the PS3 is the way to go unless iwait for the next gen of Blu Ray players.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like maybe the PS3 is the way to go unless iwait for the next gen of Blu Ray players.

Hey Kit, the PS3 is a great blu ray player. I have a stand alone HD DVD player and that thing is sooooo slow. The PS3 is pretty silent and fast. Plus if you ever want to play any games it will be there for you. :)

Just a note. Get the Remote.

Back