Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? The reviews I read said that Halloween on Blu-Ray wasn't much of an upgrade over the standard dvd.

Good review on Transformers HD DVD

https://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1110/transformers.html

and another for Spider-Man 3 on Blu-Ray

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1042/spiderman3.html

One thing I did take from the Transformers review is this:

"Indeed, I had the opportunity to attend a special 'Transformers' media event with Paramount late last week, and the question was asked almost immediately -- why no Dolby TrueHD or uncompressed PCM? The studio's answer was that due to space limitations on the disc, the decision was made to limit the audio to Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 Surround only (here at 1.5mbps). Unfortunately, this confirms the long-held theory that the 30Gb capacity of an HD-30 dual-layer HD DVD disc has forced studios to choose between offering a robust supplements package (as they've done here) and the very best in audio quality."

So, basically there's not enough space to give us both the features and audio. Where a Blu-Ray disc there's plenty of space...

Is there really THAT much difference in say Dolby DTS 5.1 and Dolby True HD sound though? I mean are you going to be blown away by the difference unless you buy a top of the line receiver and $5,000 speakers?

Probably not, no. I am happy with my 5.1 set-up right now. I'd like to go 7.1, but, that won't be till I have a bigger house and a theatre room.

I do like lossless audio the best thou.

I am more about picture quality. And, to me HD DVD and Blu-Ray are both great. I am happy I decided to go for the HD DVD player as well. Now, I just sit back and look at whats coming for either and pick and choose what movies I wanna buy on what format. Instead of getting frustrated that say Transformers was only on HD DVD, like I used too...

Best of both worlds.

:cool:

Although i'm a bit dissapointed in the lack of lossless audio, it seems like Transformers is going to sound amazing nevertheless!!

Can't wait to get this thing! amazon, ship already!!

I didn't see Transformers in the movies, I never got around to it. I have it in my queue in netflix. But, I may just go out and buy it tomorow...

I didn't see Transformers in the movies, I never got around to it. I have it in my queue in netflix. But, I may just go out and buy it tomorow...

if you ever liked transformers as a kid... or just want to see giant effing robots fighting (that have believable personalities too), then definitely get it.

but don't expect to be smarter after seeing it.

:D :D

what kinda tv do you have?

62" Toshiba DLP

When I had the 360 hooked up to it, none of the HD movies looked that bad. I thought it might be the TV but I put on some high def channels and they looked fine. It was like the color was screwed up, the faces looked kind of yellowish but like I said, TV shows and Underworld looked good so I can't believe it's the TV or the player. :confused:

Well, I'm just happy that Transformers has the special features in HD, it's always weird to watch an HD movie and then start watching the lower resolution special features.

Is there really THAT much difference in say Dolby DTS 5.1 and Dolby True HD sound though? I mean are you going to be blown away by the difference unless you buy a top of the line receiver and $5,000 speakers?

There is a huge noticeable difference between regular Dolby 5.1/DTS and True HD or uncompressed PCM soundtracks on my set up which is mid range. There is much better sound clarity, reproduction and separation between the channels due to the extra bandwidth. There is not as much of a noticeable difference to my ears between DD+ (which is already a huge step up from regular Dolby 5.1) and True HD.

Has anyone seen all the Blu-Ray sales this week... to counter the Transformers release ?

BOGO all over... BB, CC, Frys, Amazon...

I picked up six already. Can't beat $10/$12 Hi-Def Madness !

Does the player at least upconvert to get a decent picture when the special features are not in HD?

It will upconvert them like normal (They're usually 480p) but most of the time the special features don't look that great anyway even compared to the regular DVD version so there's not that much improvement. So having the special features in HD is a big plus. And on this release you're getting all of the special features, plus the new special features for HD-DVD, plus that thing where you can view each of the transformers and zoom in on a part and spin them around.

Has anyone seen all the Blu-Ray sales this week... to counter the Transformers release ?

BOGO all over... BB, CC, Frys, Amazon...

I picked up six already. Can't beat $10/$12 Hi-Def Madness !

What sales? I just checked my CC ad and it didn't have blue ray anything. :confused:

Back